OmniTouch 7

You are correct.  Thermostats update fine but not the OT7 which requires a restart to get the updated time from the panel.

Even after the manual update to the OT7, it will be out of sync with the panel by some seconds. 

It's now been a year since the last post here. Is there any improvement to the Omnitouch 7 performance? Has there been any success in utilizing Android panels? Did this discussion get moved elsewhere???

With the latest update, my Omni Touch 7 has been working great. I don’t have any issues with it. Anyone else?

Thanks nwagner!

I'm building a new house but not breaking ground until next summer. I've already picked up a Omnipro2 panel (got a deal). I don't know what to do about consoles. I'm not sure if I should be looking for at least one of the 33A00 series consoles (old style but reliable) or if it's safe to now go with Omnitouch 7's. For some reason all of the "pros" who have been very vocal here in the past totally stopped talking about the OT7 about a year ago. (There is one other post - that I have found - with a few more recent comments about this product, but they haven't addressed the reliability issues that were a primary complaint in this post that has gone on for several years!!)

Maybe the OT7s are now "perfect" or maybe the "pros" all got paid off to stop talking about them (LOL), or maybe they have all jumped ship to "Simply Safe" or something equivalent (please don't scream at me - I'm only kidding)...

Please guys and gals - post your current thoughts on these consoles for us newbies.

I'm not an expert, but I am a very informed HO with a CS degree and have done all of the wiring in my newer home.  In my home I have two 33A00s for the two main entrances.  They are rock solid, always work.  Not nearly as friendly as the graphical consoles, but they still provide more detailed control.  But since I tend to use PCAccess for most of the setup, I can't say the extra control is absolutely necessary.  I also have one of the 5.7e consoles that also has been extremely reliable without any required upgrades.  I have two more of the same, unboxed, that I never installed and instead installed OT7s.  It has been maybe a year since I've done an OT7  firmware update, but the OT7 can certainly be fickle requiring an occasional power down/reboot after it locks up.  From my experience, I would not replace the 33A00s entryways with the OT7 or even the never-had-a-problem 5.7e.  The OT7 is just too fickle and either way, you are still reliant on your ethernet for both the OT7 and 5.7e.  But this is just one opinion of many.

Before you write me off as just a HO, this is my experimental breadboard to run my entire HVAC system:

P1020982.JPG

First of all, I absolutely love my OmniPro2. Installed in 2002.  I have to agree with CodyBear, at least one of the 33A00s is a must.  Never fails or faults.  My 5.7 failed after about 5 years, and the OT7 was way too buggy so I returned.  I wrote some custom code for a Nexus 7 tablet which is fun to have around.  Added a HomeSeer Zee2 and Amazon Dots recently which was an affordable way to add ZWave and Voice control.  I've been replacing my X10 switches with Z-Wave.  HomeSeer HS-WS-100+ adds the ability to 1-tap, 2-tap or 3 tap to control other lights, buttons, or routines, so I don't even use my touch screen anymore.  Mostly voice.  Alexa works great with HomeSeer.

Thanks deborahT and codybear! Using the 33A00 was what I was leaning toward after reading between the lines in these posts, but you've convinced me. Perhaps an OT7 to play with. I also like the fact that the 33A00s aren't reliant on the LAN, especially for the security side of things.

I have been using the OT7 for two years now. I installed two units when I built my house. In general I don't have any problems.  I have a Russound whole house audio connected as well. I do find the OT7 slide control for volume difficult to use - it is slow to slide/respond - other than that it is fine.

Did the ability to have "pop-up" video based on sensor input ever become a reality for the OT7? This was talked about in the past but I can't find any recent mention of this capability.

I agree with everyone else, the OT7 is nice and all, but you really need a hardwire keypad somewhere.  Nothing is worse than coming home to find out something happened to the network in the house and the touchscreens are all down, as the entry delay timer is clicking away.  After that happened I put a keypad in the laundry room where it was out of sight, out of mind, but could be easily reached if needed.

As far as the camera pop-ups, I have been told they work, there was a software release for it a while back... but the old saying "Trust but Verify" comes in to play.

neillt said:
Nothing is worse than coming home to find out something happened to the network in the house and the touchscreens are all down, as the entry delay timer is clicking away.
Thanks for sharing neillt!! I have to admit that I chuckled a bit (ok, full on LOL) after reading the above. Thanks again! (NOT because I'm laughing at you, but because I can envision myself in the same situation.)

Hi All,

I see firmware 1.17 was released for the OmniTouch but in typical Leviton fashion there is no release documentation or notes about what this fixes (or breaks)...

Does anyone happen to know whats in v1.17?

Thanks and happy new year!

Back