OmniTouch 7

This touchscreen will not be customizable with the current controllers, but will be customizable with the next generation controller that they are working on now.

Does the OmniTouch 7 have sound like a console with the speaker and sound module in the controller? I use mine to announce various settings. Thanks. SJ

I'm really disappointed the new screen is DHCP only. That means it relies on all network hardware to remained power on to work. Before I just has my Omni Pro II and 5.7e's on a PoE switch on a UPS and used static IPs if the rest of the network went out. No more. Plus there are several business environments where DHCP isn't used. Very frustrating they don't have static IP support. 

jlipsit said:
This touchscreen will not be customizable with the current controllers, but will be customizable with the next generation controller that they are working on now.

Does anyone have any info on the next generation controller?

I think the new controller is bigger news than this touchscreen.  Especially considering this interface sounds like its designed more for the next generation according to jlipsit.

I have both the legacy and ip models of the Omnitouch 5.7.

For the legacy its a serial connection with a broadband couple of wires attached to the serial touchscreen getting its video from an HAI video hub.  Its a bit primitive but it works fine.

Today for the IP Omnitouch 5.7e I have configured PCA for the cameras and I am just using the CCTV server links for live video or direct connects to the IP cameras.  It is H.264 sourced to the CCTV server.

Personally guessing this is an easy way to connect as the control is all via PCA / OPII panel - no customizing screens though - on size fits all - guessing the direction for the new panel would be similiar with the panel controlling and optioning out the touchscreen rather than individual touching the configuration on the touch panel (which would be a kind of an antiquated means of managmenet for a plug and play solution).

My guess for the new Omnitouch 7 would be direct managing it or managing it via the existing OPII firmware (again much easier) or future HAI panel. 

Note this is what I personally want versus what is being offered - and would be a reason for me to purchase and play with it or just mod it to my needs.

DHCP isn't really an issue if you assign the mac address to an IP.  I do that today with a bunch of stuff. 

That said though the current firmware only deals with 4:3 displays and does flatten out my 16:9 video displays.  Guessing maybe a firmware update would fix that; which would be my preference over having to manage the touchscreen individually (but here I have some 15 all purpose touchscreens which are easier to manage from one control point rather than each individually).

Im debating between this or wallmounting an ipad mini running haiku. I have yet to get haiku and currently use H@me but its not ipad native so not very good. In terms of sheer speed and reliability, is haiku instant from turning app on to selecting light loads, etc.? Its too bad the new omni7 isnt serial wired. I wonder if it will have the same connection speed issues over ip as the ipad. Any thoughts?

Haiku is pretty fast... at most a second or two before you can do something.  I ditched H@me after I got the iPad years ago and haven't looked back.

Just got haiku and liking it a lot. I installed an inwall iport for the ipad and really liking its flexibility for music and airplay. Still curious on the omni7 and how good it will be though. I think speed is top priority for me and how quick it reacts during an alarm or network traffic bog.

Anthony A. said:
As per HAI tech, its already shipping and needs 3.8 minimum firmware. Anyone order one yet?
Just ordered one, should be here beginning of next week. I will let you know what I think. 

Emmett

Nice. Looking forward to both of your thoughts. If either use Haiku inwall, i would love to hear a direct comparison.

Back