OmniTouch 7

Yup; here my preference is to just do the configurations via PCA.

It does make the device more plugnplay although its a bit stifled. 

I have been using PCA for my CCTV cameras and Omnitouch 5.7e's.  Its not a 16:9 picture but rather still a 4:3; but so is the Omnitouch 5.7e.

Just some caution relating to modding the screen / rooting the device.  I would personally make sure you can restore it to original state via a firmware upgrade and or back it up (which might be a bit difficult).  It would be an expensive brick if you do not do this.

anyone installed firmware 3.12 yet?  I did and see a GUI page and omnitouch 7 page under extended setup. since I don't have an OT7 yet, wondering what these tabs do? 

I installed a new firmware chip with 3.11d.  My system is not flash up-gradable but the tell me that 3.11 has everything I need.  The Extended setup area shows up with new options, including OTC&.  So then I put my new OTC7 on the network and used the setup on the OTC to configure the address and port of the controller and the security keys.  At this point the OTC7 is on the network and pulled the units, lights, etc from the controller.  All good.
Next I went back to PC Access Software where I used the new extended setup item OmniTouch 7 to create a NEW OTC7 and used Discover to find it.  Done.  The only other thing you can do here is "update" the firmware on the OTC7. 
I made changes to my configuration and got frustrated that the OTC& was not picking up the changes.  Seems you have to re-start it,  See Post #45 from e2djonline. A magic "press and hold" not mentioned anywhere. 

As for GUIPages, I am wondering about that too.  I think they were used for the 5.7e, but what are they for now?

The OT7 is pretty, but pretty frustrating figuring things out.  No user manual.  For this kind of money, it should have a how to manual, describing the reboot button, and more.

Thanks for the detailed writeup. Let us know how you find the response and speed of the unit. Others have said its a bit finicky and gets confused easily.

Does the new omni touch 7 say messages like the hard button keypad with audio does ? I got one to try out but can't figure out if it does audibles . All it seems to do is beep .

Hi guys..

I've now had the OT7 for a few weeks on a OP II 3.16 firmware. I upgraded a client from a 5.7(not E) and they love it. The old OT touchpads are clunky, the responsiveness is terrible and unreliable. This touchpad is definitely an upgrade from other HAI pads. I'm wondering when the first firmware upgrade will be released because the first thing I have noticed to make a complaint about is that there is no place like there was on the 5.7e to navigate to a website. I need to get to my IP cameras through their webpage and this touch pad doesn't seem to support jumping online. I'm sure Leviton will update that and the issues above this post, but let me make myself clear. The price point is perfect. The device works out of the box with minimal setup. It's sleek, responsive and works every time. Keep up the good work, but release an update and some software to design pages without having to purchase an HTX2.

Thanks,
Nate

I totally agree with myersnets, the price point on the OT7 is perfect, and it does work right out of the box.  Also have to agree with others that it is finicky. Sometimes the Lighting button requires several clicks to respond.  And yesterday, we think it was showing a zone not secure that was and the other consoles were properly reporting.  Have only seen this once... strange.

Not being able to customize the screens is a HUGE drawback.  Scrolling through all the lights to find the ones you use most is a nuisance. Being able to access a web address from the units would be cool.  I think the Extended Setup portion of the PC Access software should be able to "Discover" IP cameras.  Sure would be nice if it would "Discover" my network accessible Onkyo AVR.  HAI?  You put the OT7 on the network, now let it do some networking  :)

I am starting to wonder if I would be better of with an Android tablet running the mobile app or custom software. I would love to hear what others are using that might be more customize-able.  (in this price range)

I just installed an ipad 4 using iport inwall bracket and running haiku. Its awesome. Works perfectly, customizable enough with favorites, etc. and it automatically pulls up front door ip camera when doorbell rings. You could also get an ipad mini plus inwall bracket for same $ as OT7. Im loving the inwall ipad, i also control itunes, weather, cameras, etc.

There's definitely something to be said for being able to take advantage of vendors with greater expertise and economies of scale when it comes to tablets.  The question is whether the gizmo/interface makers will wise up to this notion and be willing to have those devices be able to work on-par with proprietary wall panels.  Sure, there's profit margin to be had in gouging for your own proprietary stuff.  But do you have the developers on staff to be able to keep up with what's being done by a legion of others on a whole range of other tablet devices?  

Or, look at it this way, get out from under the hassles of developing your own, having it manufactured, sold and distributed and let the other vendors stomach all those headaches.  Clearly there's going to be enough volume of vendors out there persisting in making the tablets, why not ride that wave instead of going it alone?

myersnets said:
Hi guys..

I've now had the OT7 for a few weeks on a OP II 3.16 firmware. I upgraded a client from a 5.7(not E) and they love it. The old OT touchpads are clunky, the responsiveness is terrible and unreliable. This touchpad is definitely an upgrade from other HAI pads. I'm wondering when the first firmware upgrade will be released because the first thing I have noticed to make a complaint about is that there is no place like there was on the 5.7e to navigate to a website. I need to get to my IP cameras through their webpage and this touch pad doesn't seem to support jumping online. I'm sure Leviton will update that and the issues above this post, but let me make myself clear. The price point is perfect. The device works out of the box with minimal setup. It's sleek, responsive and works every time. Keep up the good work, but release an update and some software to design pages without having to purchase an HTX2.

Thanks,
Nate
Did you use the same location when you replaced the 5.7? I know the cutout is different and HAI is suppose to have a trim kit for this? SJ

I do construction and wiring installs, and I am also a software developer.  I agree that for customer installs you need reliable, and use supported packages.  This is for my home system, where tinkering is the norm.   My ideal design would be tablet display, mounted in wall, POE, just like OT7, but configurable and network capable.  I tend to prefer Android over Apple.  Is there an Android tablet solution that folks might recommend?  Windows would be okay also. I have OmniPro II, wired security, a very clean and mostly reliable X-10 lighting system, Omnistat climate control, Onkyo multi zone AVR, and whole house speakers. Soon to add POE IP cameras and mobile access.  Might add Zigbee or Zwave for door lock control. Maybe an opensource platform?  I suspect I am dreaming here. Thanks Anthony A. I am taking a close look at the IPad Mini and mount.

Here I have been playing with a device which no longer is available.  It was ahead of its time.  It was made by Openpeak and is a capacitance touchscreen table which modded can run Linux, Android and Windows. 

The picture below model has a bracket in the back and can be mounted on a wall; but its not a flush mount.

Openframe2.jpg

It is using an Intel Atom almost mobile phone like base.   I am also playing with a similiar model with same chipset but even smaller with the speakers mounted in the back of the device.

The development ones I am playing with also include a DECT chip for telephony and a Zigbee energy chip.  It also has a connection for a USB cam on the top of it. (it has a non standard USB connector on the top of it for the cam).

The attached pictured device was being implemented by Avaya domestically and internationally as a combo internet telephony device.  It was also sold by Verizon in the US and various telcos globally. 

It runs the current version of the HAI touchscreen software just fine in XP mode and its very quick.  The direction with this device though is to make it a combo automation console and DECT telephony hub.  I have the Linux OS talking to the DECT chip and have tested running Asterisk on it and it does fine.

Sibo in China has in wall Android devices.  I purchased one from Homeseer not too long ago.  It is POE enabled.

I rewrote the OS on it.  I don't really like the hardware design of it though.

sibo-2.jpg

Returning OmniTouch 7 today.  Besides the glitchy touchpad, it is consistently not reporting zones correctly,  Suspect it isn't polling for zone status, as my other consoles are reporting accurately. I am sure they will eventually fix with a firmware update, but for this price I want accurate and reliable or programmable and customizable.  This one is none of the above.

Back