OmniTouch 7

SJHart said:
There was yet another firmware update.  Not sure what they fixed.   I only know how to update via PC Access.  The titles on some of my rooms and other names gets cut off.  Seems like there is lots of space on the screens for longer names or double lines.  Assume they will fix that at some point.  Seems to be getting a bit more solid.  I really like how quick the camera screens come up.  SJ

For Sure, Every Firmware update squashes some of the bugs and annoyances that frustrate me!

Hi Folks - I've just now gotten to configuring my OmniTouch 7 screens with my OmniPro2... but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my IP cams on the screens.  I have Toshiba IP cams and "seem" to have configured everything in PCA, but they just don't show.  Is there any trick here?  JPEG or MPEG4?  I know resolution 640x480... any limitations on FPS that might not be causing them to show?  Do I need to authenticate (I currently have the cams open so that anyone on the LAN can access them).

I'd be very grateful for any nudge to get me on the right track.

Thanks!

PS: FW 3.12 on the OP2 and 1.4 on the touchscreens, FWIW

jcdavis said:
Hi Folks - I've just now gotten to configuring my OmniTouch 7 screens with my OmniPro2... but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my IP cams on the screens.  I have Toshiba IP cams and "seem" to have configured everything in PCA, but they just don't show.  Is there any trick here?  JPEG or MPEG4?  I know resolution 640x480... any limitations on FPS that might not be causing them to show?  Do I need to authenticate (I currently have the cams open so that anyone on the LAN can access them).

I'd be very grateful for any nudge to get me on the right track.

Thanks!

PS: FW 3.12 on the OP2 and 1.4 on the touchscreens, FWIW

Hey jcdavis, I'm not familiar with the Toshiba Cams, but I have multiple Foscam cameras which are MJPEG... You really just have to make sure you are pointed at the video stream and not the web interface. 

This is what a link to my foscams looks like: http://address:port/video.cgi  and then I use a user that has only view rights and use the authentication. I'm not sure if the OPII will support MPEG4 for a camera thats not the new 68A11 camera... but I haven't had a need to try to get one to function so I haven't tried. If you can get me a model for your camera, I can try to get you a link that points directly to the video stream.

Thanks so much for your reply!  The cams are IK-WB80A... I get what you are saying about pointing to the stream and not the web interface: pointing to the web interface is exactly what I'm doing (actually, I'm just trying to point to the IP address of the camera, which is I think essentially the same thing as what you're saying.)

So I'll try to research the documentation further to see if I can identify the "video stream" - but I'd certainly be grateful if you happen to see it first!

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Jcd

Hi Jc,

I just finished getting my IP cameras(Huacam) up and running and found the following useful.   If I point to my camera at it's IP:port I get a web page,  However there are other http strings you can use to get different results.   I realize you are not using iSpy but ... this link http://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx may help as it shows what the various connection stings for your camera type are:

IK-WB80A JPEG http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/viewer/video.jpg        
IK-WB80A JPEG http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/viewer/video.jpg?resolution=640x480        
IK-WB80A MJPEG http://IPADDRESS/video.mjpg        
IK-WB80A VLC rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/live.sdp 

Hope this helps,
Deborah

@Deborah, this is PERFECT - thank you!  I used the paths you linked to and everything works great now!

Cheers,
Jcd

Wondering if anybody knows how, or if its possible, to make a camera popup upon a zone trigger.  I cant for the life of me see a way to make this happen.  Thanks

Another firmware update. Not ready zones now display on the security screen. They fixed messages on the last update. With these last updates the unit appears much more solid. SJ

SJHart said:
Another firmware update. Not ready zones now display on the security screen. They fixed messages on the last update. With these last updates the unit appears much more solid. SJ

For sure, really impressed with the speed of the updates that are being put out right now for this device. 

I may have spoken too soon. When controlling my zwave lights, the unit now bombs out occasionally. Gives an unknown error message, count downs and reboots. Never saw this before the recent update. :(

Has anyone tried the OmniTouch 7 with a Russound MCA-C5 connected to the Omnipro II?  I wanted to see if there were more or less options.  5.7e works to some degree, but I don't know of anyway to change banks of radio presets.  I'm also avoiding installing the Russound wall controllers so I'm hoping the OT7 has more music features for the Russound.  Of course, the Russound Ipad/Iphone app may be another option.

I have a question....why wouldn't HAI use these efforts to create an app that could be used for ANY Android device?  You would have minimal duplication in efforts.

I know many HAI users that will never upgrade their hardware in their system, but would instantly pay for a decent functioning app for their Android devices (phones mainly).  If you want proof of the market possibilities, just ask Haiku how they are doing!  Since iOS is a different animal I can understand HAI not programming for it specifically, but as they are using Android on this new "keypad", why would you not leverage that same budget to expand your revenue generation?

Just annoys me that I have what is a GREAT security panel, and no way to interface easily with my phones and tablets.  Yet I am watching the software I need being developed, but not sold.

And before anyone says HAI wants to make money on hardware, I highly suggest you along with HAI take a look at the economics of profit on App software / micro transactions vs hardware.  Talk about missing some profit potential.

Take it a step farther, they could use Google DeviceLimiter to make a person buy the app per device (or two)!  I would STILL buy it for all of mine! at $50 an install it would still make financial sense to do so.

Just frustrating.

I was also very frustrated when my old HAI touchscreen quit and I attempted to replace with the OT7.  Returned it within a week, as it was just not configurable enough.  I absolutely LOVE my HAI OmniPro II.  It does the security, hvac, lighting(X-10), macros, and really simple messages (trash night).  However I have other devices that I also want to integrate into one central touchscreen,  IP cameras, Home Theater, and a bunch of other handy household stuff.

After much research, trials of various apps, and some very good insights from this forum, I set out to build a custom solution that I intend to share via open source really soon.  I am a Java developer so Android made sense for me. Yes, I looked at iRule and OpenRemote, but they aren't there yet, for Android or for my needs.  

I purchased the Nexus 7 (2013), an inductive charger, and plan to use Dockem wall mount clips.  Total cost less than $250.  Since it is not advised to charge the device continually, the charger will be plugged into an HAI controlled outlet so I can program charging frequency and duration.   Outlet and all wires will be completely hidden and device can be easily removed from wall for home theater use, The tablet solution isn't perfect, but I wasn't ready to tackle the hardware work to implement a Raspberry PI solution, and for the price, Hi def screen, sound, WIFI, front facing camera and the Android OS!!  I have it launch in landscape, fullscreen, and am working to keep users from exiting the app.  I also want to implement a dimming, or screen saver.

I am almost ready for beta testing the HAI stuff.  Still working the Home Theater integration.   No intent to sell, but willing to share and collaborate.  Please see the gallery under my profile for screen shots and photos.  Pretty sure you can message me via my profile as well.

Still having issues with zones showing not ready. Also, wireless motion sensors showing up on the display as secure. The main issue with the zones not ready is that the panel won't let you arm the system. Just use the normal console for this,but they need to fix this. The only way to clear is to pull the power and let it reboot. Doing the safe/exit doesn't clear. You can also reload the firmware. They need a way to fully reboot from the panel. Better yet, fix this issue. Other than that, it is working fine. SJ

Back