OP II and Arduino

Thank-you Tigers!

Yup; serial communications is old and well documented.

IE: today I communicate to the multiple devices on the automobile's serial bus very network like.  It has evolved a bit such that it is still using serial communications to communicate to all sorts of stuff.

Hey Tigers -

I got my Arduino to communicate with my OP2 via the serial port, using the "pro link" protocol and just sending ASCII text messages back and forth.

This is not nearly as cool as what you were trying to do but it's a bit better then tying the two together using relays / zones / outputs / etc. One issue is that you are of course limited to 120 some odd text messages in the OP2.

Let me know if you are interested and I will post some sample Arduino code to make them talk. BTW - I have used a couple of different TTL to RS-232 shields to physically connect the two systems and both products I tried worked without issue.

Best Regards,

Kurt

I am very interested of course. I saw the pro link protocol and that is the first thing I was going to attempt, but I'd be very glad to take a look at your code to get me started. Thank you very much.

kurtisdigital said:
Hey Tigers -

I got my Arduino to communicate with my OP2 via the serial port, using the "pro link" protocol and just sending ASCII text messages back and forth.

This is not nearly as cool as what you were trying to do but it's a bit better then tying the two together using relays / zones / outputs / etc. One issue is that you are of course limited to 120 some odd text messages in the OP2.

This is not entirely correct. In newer firmware (starting from rev 3.1) in addition to sending and receiving the ordinary OPII messages, there are also 127 "triggers" than can be activated via the protocol.

See here for more info: http://blog.homeauto.com/default.asp?Display=434
You just send "HAI1" to "HAI127" message to the serial port and you can program (it is a separate category in PC Access) the OP II to respond to these events and send out others too.

Still waiting for your code, but I'll start working on mine soon so we can maybe exchange experience.

Here will remove one serial connection on the OPII and connect it to my Quatech serial to IP server to make play sort of virtual.

I think the baud rate was 9600 8 N 1 eh?  Pro-link set up on panel for connectivity.

As the panel is three floors down; its easier to connect to a serial server for me to play with.

I have set up communications this morning and just need to validate my RS-232 connector.  I might go to a 6 pin cable with a new made up RS-232 to RJ-45 device.

What else do I need to do?

@kurt

Can you post your stuff here?

pete_c said:
Here will remove one serial connection on the OPII and connect it to my Quatech serial to IP server to make play sort of virtual.

I think the baud rate was 9600 8 N 1 eh?  Pro-link set up on panel for connectivity.

Yes, strictly. There is no other possible baud or parity setup.

pete_c said:
As the panel is three floors down; its easier to connect to a serial server for me to play with.

I have set up communications this morning and just need to validate my RS-232 connector.  I might go to a 6 pin cable with a new made up RS-232 to RJ-45 device.

I don't get it. Why RJ 45?

pete_c said:
What else do I need to do?

@kurt

Can you post your stuff here?
I'll try and pm him.

I don't get it. Why RJ 45?

Because a have a box o un pinned RJ-45 to RS-232 female adapters.  That and I have RJ12 ends (6 pin) and flat 6 pin cable.  I did also test just a few minutes ago with a regular 4 pin RJ-11 to RS-232 female cable and it appears to be fine.   I just do not like the way the RJ-11 cable and plug sits in the OPII serial port.

The RJ-12 fits better in the panel serial port plug.  I just had a quick look and I had one UPB HAI RS-232 connector and one HAI serial adapter with a male RS-232.

I also noticed two LED's below the port which do blink; guessing that one is RX and one is TX....never paid attention though.

The virtual serial network connection will let me play easier around the house wired or wirelessly using whatever OS.

Here also have a few Seagate Dockstars that currently are running Debian.  I am doing serial and network stuff with these today such that I could also just connect one serially to the HAI OPII panel.  They are Arm based CPUs and work fine today with some other stuff I am doing.  The footprint of these devices is smaller than the Arduino. Recently tested a USB to SSD drive and I liked it better than a standard SD card or USB stick.

Finished the RS-232 connector as you had depicted in the earlier drawing. 

Its sort of hand made as I had the RS-232 pins and tools required to manually make one of these.

HAI-RS232.jpg

RS-232 PIn # 1 (DCD),4(DTR) & 6(DSR) together going to pin #3 RJ-11 (red)
RS-232 Pin #3  (TX) going to pin #1 RJ-11 (yellow)
RS-232 Pin #2 (RX) going to pin #2 RJ-11 (green)
RS-232 Pin #5 (GND) going to pin #4 RJ-11 (black)
RS-232 Pins #7 & # 8 shorted

Connected a 6 PIN with RJ-12 ends to RS-232/RJ-45 and other end to port #5 on OPII board

Plugged RS-232 side to Quatech box and tested connected with PCA.  Connected right up.

@tigers - you mentioned that you have two connections configured.  Guessing here I can just connect PCA via LAN and use my test serial connection to play with the OmniPro serial link; eh?

Certainly less hand-made tahn mine... :)

For the connections yes, I did it myself: sending messages to the serial port via my LAN connection and receiving thru the serial and vice-versa.

Thank-you tigers.

OK so I configured PCA to access the panel via the network to watch status.

Should I configure the serial port to talk via the Pro-Link HAI protocol?

Next steps here are to validate serial connection via Pro-Link and watch status via PCA.

I also have OmniPro touchscreen running on same desktop.

Baby steps now...

OK so I open up a terminal connection and send what command out such that I can validate the terminal chatter?

and vice versa; sending out a command via PCA and watching it on the terminal session....

Testing; have to reconfigure OPII as I connected to serial port #5; so switching some stuff around to use port #4 and moving Russound to port #5.

Validated message chatter sending a message to serial port #4 via Omnitouch screen.  Very nice!

Configured the port as the email board to watch the serial chatter.  There is a lot.

@tigers

To replicate your Arduino environment then are you connecting your Arduino to two OPII serial ports?

One that speaks OmniLink and one that speaks ProLink?

Thinking then if this is so will make another RJ-serial connector.

pete: My plan is to have both connection to test which one suits better my needs. Theoretically the omni-pro port should be enough to do anything, but maybe someone will be happy with just the PRO-link, which is much much easier to implement. 

Yup decided here on a hardware modded TP-Link TL-WR710N relating your endeavor relating to the Arduino.

Removing the HV stuff from it.  Its tiny.  There are two versions of it.  There is an EU version which has more play memory.
The modification to the $19 USD unit will be more memory (might be 8Gb or even 32Gb as it is easy to do) and replacing the OS on it.
Looks easy to do.  I wanted two NICs and USB.  The USB port will be utilized for power and serial port connectivity.
Power will come from the HAI OPII board. While the wireless is there I will probably not use it in the beginning.

The working memory update is an easy modification for those into hardware mods; but not really a plug n play modification for those not into this stuff.

2nd hardware test would be to have external 3G connectivity plus the above which can also be done today.

06.jpg

Please note that the OPII protocol via serial is totally not encrypted so all the data INCLUDING you pass code will be sent in clear bytes. This is a potential security threat if the information is sent through wi fi.

I am now successfully running the code to set a flag in the HAI continuosly for a week now.

I'll release the code as soon as my new RS232 to TTL adapter arrives so I can test the receive part and have a solid working base, but if you want I can send you the part that's already working.

Thank-you Tigers.  I am looking forward to your stuff.

Yup the networking pieces are to "fix" the NIC on the OPII and provide an added piece to the security of the OPII network port. 

OPII NIC would plug into HAI OPII NIC port and output network via 2nd NIC on TP-Link. 

One (1) network cable out of the can to the home network works just fine for me.

I don't care much about wireless but it would be an added feature set. 

Not really thinking wireless will work that well inside of the HAI OPII can anyways.

Yeah looking at the new HAI email board for one HAI OPII panel and your Arduino endeavor for another HAI OPII panel.

Here always a tinkerer......

Back