Pre-Wire Drill & Bit Recommendations

wkearney99 said:
Nothing does the job quite as effectively as a $400 Milwaukee professional 1hp corded right angle drill. Those things are incredible for this kind of work. Pricey, though, even I couldn't justify shelling out for one.

You mean like this one?  
17292_1675-6.jpg

Looks like a beast.   There are lots of 'em on fleabay.   

I guess those right angle tools are toys huh?

milwaukee_osd2.jpg

--Russ

Here my last acquisition of power tools came for Christmas via wife. 

Depending on you it will be a tool that you use a lot or only once or twice and what your spend will be et al.

Always tinkering here and the Christmas power tools stuff always me a happy camper.  That said last tool she purchased was a Milwaukee drill. 

It is different though here as wife prefers jewelery, flowers and cards over any type of kitchen / IT / telephone /remote controls / automation devices.

I have a collection of a variety of drill bits; long and short thin and thick that I have collected over the years mostly purchased on demand whenever.  A friend gave me a set of fiberglass rods (I do not know what the official name is for them) in the 1990's that I still use today for this for for that.

Milwaukee makes several drills and it seems a couple of right angle ones.   The drill above seems to be built like a tank.  Probably as heavy to hold as well.

I firmly believe the correct tool can make a job.   Too often I've made due with lesser tools and when the right tool is used it makes such a difference.
If I'm drilling a womp of holes in my new house, it might be worth purchasing a decent tool.   If I don't have another use for it, recoup some by selling on ebay.

Fortunately my wife likes electronic toys and not so much flowers and jewelry.   An iPad or laptop pleases her more than a ring.  Automation devices might be a bit much.  However she did like that robot vacuum one year.
It's funny because my Father-In-Law continues to buy his wife electronic toys instead of jewelry or flowers.   She never appreciates it and would rather have flowers or jewelry.

Christmas season upon us, I'm making an Amazon wish list for my bride so she can have it easy choosing a gift.   This forum has given me quite a list.

--Russ

Yeah here have a light battery operated well made tool that I can carry up a ladder today.  Years ago I did use an electric drill with a long extension cord to go to the second floor eaves of my home.  It was not fun.  The one house that I LW prewired had high ceilings such that I used a long drill bit on some stuff half way up a ladder and a short drill bit drilling down from the unfinished rafters (which I didn't really like doing).

I didn't really bring much with me when I did pull wire and drill holes on the half finished home.  IE: just one drill and many bits and many boxes of wire and one of though accordian sturdy ladders which fold small and are a bit heavy and use almost dangerous clips or springs to open.

My basement is all cement and my home is 1/2 brick.  I learned about using a hammer drill for the basement stuff after the frustrating attempts at using a regular drill and my neighbor worked and helped manage his brother in law's construction company and saw me doing this one day.  It is a big drill with a handle but is is not right angled.  Never used one of those before.

Another time decided to install a glass front storm door with side windows.  Looked like an easy installation.  Glass side panels were easy but the glass storm door frame because an issue.  I called one neighbor (construction and retired).  He came over and finished my door frame installation in less than 5 minutes cutting the frame on knees with absolute precision of an obi wan wood crafter (and I think he was close to 75 years old).

I have only used the fiberglass rods once here.  I have multiple attics and one is just a PITA to walk across so there is were I use the fiberglass rods for wire pulling.

Wife also one year purchased one of those tool belts which was really handy when working on the top of a ladder a few years ago.

I have also purchased a few of those laser level tools which really are nice.  IE: when installing in wall speakers while I wanted to get the right sound always wanted symmetry.

Thinking the one an only electronic gift here many many years ago was the first Philips Pronto remote control.  It was very low on the WAF.

Here in the midwest we have a tool rental company which I have utilized before for renting a sort of heavy floor sander to sand down my cedar deck.  I did request that they deliver it and put it on my deck the last time I rented it cuz it really was a PITA to put in my truck and carry / roll it around the house to use.  I think too they rent large power tools by the day.  (I have rented one of those two person augers; which truely is a PITA to use and went to using a hand auger for my 6X6 posts around the house).

Lately (well over the last few years) have gone to mostly purchasing stuff from Amazon Prime. 

Easy and fast and convenient one stop Christmas shopping. 

Did notice one relative that spoke about the Friday after Thanksgiving shopping for the thrill of it rather than the deals?

pete_c said:
Did notice one relative that spoke about the Friday after Thanksgiving shopping for the thrill of it rather than the deals?
I generally don't find any deals or thrills in Black Friday shopping.   Amazon Prime lets me shop in comfort, read reviews and get to know my UPS driver better.

Our builder called me over Thanksgiving weekend and said he was buying appliances for his personal house he's building.   So we went there Wednesday (last day of sale) and got 50% big appliances plus 5% more for opening a charge card.   Top end appliances and saved a bunch.   Won't deliver until May when house is actually built.

We are on our second builder.    Long story.   Builder #1 was going to make our house a "parade" home which means big discounts on vendors.   We came to learn big means 10% on Viking appliances.   And you have to use ALL Viking brand appliances.    Reading reviews, I came to conclude Viking is over hyped status brand.    Not very reliable and people don't think they are so wonderful.  Features are simple.   So 10% off $30k overpriced appliances wasn't worth it.  Other vendors were offering much less in perks.
All told, cost per square foot came in at $400 for the build.  We already owned the lot.  That was AFTER we spent $32k on planning and designs that the HOA review board nixed and said we couldn't build.   They billed us for every paperclip.  Expensive lesson.  Fired builder #1.

Now, builder #2 is easier to work with.   We have to ask and ask how much we owe for stuff he's bought.  He's done all the design and engineering without billing us a penny.  Honest guy too.   He told us what vendors give him 2% kick back.  Then he let's us pick what vendors to use.
It's our lot, our house and he is just building a house for us.  We watched him build 2 other spec houses and the guy does things top notch.   Soundproofs bathrooms etc.    Night and day from builder #2.

--Russ

Good news Russ. 

The whole endeavor is truely a learning experience and it is good getting involved.

The end result is your home and that is something you will appreciate for years to come.

Bzncrewjr said:
You mean like this one?  
17292_1675-6.jpg

Looks like a beast.   There are lots of 'em on fleabay.   

I guess those right angle tools are toys huh?

milwaukee_osd2.jpg

--Russ
For a couple holes, the adapter will work, as will a LD right angle.

For spinning a good sized auger, self-feed or other through wet lumber, nothing will beat a hole hog. Takes a little getting used to and they are slightly heavy, but they'll literally break your wrist or a bit before stopping.

Back