Pre-Wire Tool Recommendation

ccmichaelson

I'm running CAT6, RG6, 22/4 burglar alarm wire, and 14/2 speaker wire throughout my house.  I just started pulling wire and my dewalt cordless drill is really struggling getting through a 4-5 stud pack.  Could some please recommend the following:

1)  Corded drill (I'm only wiring my own house so don't want to break the bank)... saw that Wally world has a 1/2" corded drill - forget the brand for less than $50...
2)  CAT 6 Crimper
3)  Wire striper
4)  Tone generator

Hoping to get a "kit" for items 2-4...

Thanks!

I've used a Milwaukee 0299-20 1/2" drill for years.  It just runs forever.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the current models aren't as good as the one's they used to make.  I'm sure there are Dewalt, Hitachi, Makita and other name brands that are equally good.

When it comes to inexpensive drills, they'll work, but the question is for how long. On a whole house project, a cheap drill might make it through to the end and it might not.  So it might cost you 2 drills to complete the job.  My advice would be to get a high quality drill, and once you're done, sell it on eBay if you want to recover some of the cost.  It'll be a lot less aggravation that way.  But my guess is in the end, you won't want to sell the drill.  :)

For a toner, I'm really happy with a Fluke PRO3000.

Wire stripper: DataShark 70029

Crimp tool:  Platinum Tools 100054C

You can spend a lot or a little on a crimp tool.  The more expensive "pro" models will give you better, more reliable crimps.  Again, it'll save aggravation.

Some other good suggestions in this thread.

Thanks Ral - Regarding the CAT6 crimper and I was considering that route but I'm planning to use HDbaseT (HDMI over CAT 6) and I've read that the EZRJ crimpers don't work well (have no idea why though)...  For example, if you read this (http://www.snapav.com/p-1326-b-500-ext-230-rs.aspx) is states "In addition, “EZ end” connectors are not recommended for use with HDMI extenders."

Oh yeah, what punch down tool would you recommend?

If you're looking for a "kit" of tools for datacomm, I'd go over to specialized products. Not cheap, not break the bank, but trade standards.

Ideal, or the cheaper Greenlee units will get you through and are available for reasonable cost.

As far as punchdown, I wouldn't use anything but a Harris (now Fluke networks).

Back