Simple way to view IP Cameras on TV

I use BlueCherry DVR to record/access/distribute my analog video streams. (They have a java client for linux/mac/windows). I can then access my cameras via IP Cam Viewer (pro/lite/basic versions work) on my Logitech Revue Google TV (no need to switch inputs, I just hit search on the keyboard, type in cam, and the cam app pops up for me). Also I have access to the streams via ANY Android phone or tablet (also accessible remotely via VPN). I am pretty sure IP Cam Viewer has a provision to add IP cams so this should be a solution for you.

http://www.bluecherrydvr.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid&hl=en

The Revue is a bit older so here are some newer alternatives.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NSZ-GS7-Internet-Player-Google/dp/B008BDBPTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364008941&sr=8-1&keywords=Google+TV
http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Pulse-with-Google-TV/dp/B009VXUFLG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1364008941&sr=8-13&keywords=Google+TV

I am also looking for a device to allow viewing of IP cameras on a TV. Looking for a device less than $200.00 that does not require a computer to view the live feeds. This device would need to include a browser, the only 2 boxes I have been able to find that indicated they included a browser was the A9M(reviews are terrible) and the Boxee box appears to be discontinued.

Anyone aware of any other options?

Google TV includes a browser, as well as apps for IP camera viewing.  I have not used the apple TV, but it may, as well.  I don't believe roku or neoTV or WDTV includes this. 

I still see Boxees available.  I don't believe they are discontinued (yet). 

sbwright said:
I am also looking for a device to allow viewing of IP cameras on a TV. Looking for a device less than $200.00 that does not require a computer to view the live feeds. This device would need to include a browser, the only 2 boxes I have been able to find that indicated they included a browser was the A9M(reviews are terrible) and the Boxee box appears to be discontinued.

Anyone aware of any other options?
Google TV

I'm struggling with this problem as well. (Like many here, I'd like to show the camera as soon as someone rings the doorbell).

I just replaced my living room TV with a relatively inexpensive Samsung TV. I really wanted a basic TV, but it seems like they're all 'smart' TVs with apps and what-not. So since then, I've got the bug to show this camera on the TV. "Hey, it's a smart TV, with apps available, right? I'll just go get an IP camera app". There are NO IP Camera apps. It's all just endless apps of different ways to view content (picture Netflix, Hulu, and (literally) about 150 more of the same). This seems to be a NO BRAINER for the kind of app a so-called 'smart' TV should have... yet it doesn't. (and if it did, getting it to play the cam feed on command is probably not straightforward either).

So following on this thread, a Roku seems like a decent suggestion. Looks like a brand new Roku LT (my cams aren't HD) can be had for $50. I'm waiting to check on my father-in-law's Roku how exactly the cams are viewed and if it's an app or what, but this looks like the go to option for now. Next it how to view it. Picture-in-picture would be perfect -- and the TV has it, BUT... you can only use it to view an antenna or cable channel (wtf?!?). You can't be watching HDMI 1 and put HDMI 2 in PIP. Do a lot of people use ANT/Cable anymore? Do manufacturers not know what people hook up to their TVs? Like I'm so sophisticated that I need a smart TV, but still use rabbit ears for general viewing?.

Anyway, this problem looked like it could be easily solved with a $10 RF modulator (again, cams aren't HD so this should be ok...), but now my problem is that there is no discrete code (or at least none that I can locate) to activate PIP. It can be done with a sequence of IR codes, but it takes at least 7 button presses. So, if I manually want to view it with my Harmony, that won't work (since Harmony only supports 6 steps in a sequence) and I haven't even begun to look into the actual automating of doorbell -> IR codes to view PIP.

Sometimes I just wish I didn't have the desire to do some of these projects and just get them out of my head.  :wacko:

Quick suggestion:

1) Cameras hooked up to a DVR that outputs HDMI (these are really inexpensive nowadays)
2) Hookup DVR HDMI output to TV
3) Use a motion detector in the entryway or hook your doorbell to an alarm zone on your home automation system (I'm assuming you have one). If no home automation system, then a standalone Vera Lite or ISY994 may do the trick
4) Trigger a Global Cache IP2IR to switch TV output to appropriate HDMi input upon motion detection or press of the doorbell for X seconds

I had a look at the Sony media player which uses Google Tv it has Google Chrome, but reviews indicate that the browser is only good for static web pages and does not support multimedia. So it won't likely support the cameras.

I am not sure that I would assume the lack of support for cameras based upon limitations of the browser.

I use the Revue, but I assume it is at least SIMILAR to the Sony player.  Both are Google TV devices.

On the Revue...yes...google chrome has some limitations.  For example, I don't believe I can get CBS.com to play.  Apparently, some sites don't want to play on this particular device.  So, there are some limitations to the browser.

For IP camera viewing, look to an app for this.  Try IPCamviewer.  It works on mine, and there may be other apps that work as well.  Perhaps you could search search the web for indication about compatibility with IP camera apps with this particular streaming device.

Here I started playing some with the little NMT's by Patriot memory called Patriot Box Office a few years back.  

I did chroot the NMT boxes but they did include a browser that worked for me with a USB connected mouse. 

I did also play with the Logitech Revue and currently its off until I can root it and change it to my liking. ( I do not watch Google TV though).

Concurrently though I did have always have a  Zoneminder Box (10 years?) and a plugin for my XBMC stuff that worked just fine.

I really do like the HD view of the newer IP cameras on the LCD TV's these days with the direct connects via my little Aopen DE's which have replaced the NMT's that I had around the home. 

I guess too as a DIY you could connect a Rasberry Pi to one HD feed to one HDMI out to your MM box or TV such that you would have a dedicated HDMI feed for your TV for some $50 or so.

homejones said:
A Dahua NVR costs <$300 on the Internet and would satisfy your needs. It even has alarm/motion detector inputs.
I would advise against Dahua NVRs. Their menu is horrible and nonintuitive, very frustrating experience.

Today I found a store with a Sony NSZGS7 media player connected to a TV. Using the Chrome browser tried to access my Mobotix IP Camera, the browser complained that the site(camera) was not available and would not display the camera feed. Checking the browser on my phone the camera was functioning properly. Installed a free app called IP Camera Viewer, after filling in the minimal required info, the camera feed was displayed on the screen, success. The view was not the greatest thou picture was very grainy compared to viewing thru an XBox360 at home. This may have been the free app, the store internet connection, the large TV being viewed so close or some combination of all. I also noticed that there were more options for the camera setup available that I didn't bother setting up or even looked at.

So I am going to order the NSZGS7 and do some more testing, the app appeared to have the ability to display multiple cameras on screen at once. Its unfortunate its a little expensive but on sale right now, still cheaper than running an XBox360 or computer.

I actually just received my $40 Android 'PC', and installed ip cam viewer as well.  It works really well, and I am going to use this Android device to display a custom home automation interface with big buttons (I have a Gyration wireless mouse, which is perfect for this setup), and various other useful apps.

The only issue is the really crappy WiFi signal, which seems to be a common issue, but worst case, I will use a USB Ethernet adapter to get around this.

Back