Simple way to view IP Cameras on TV

This morning playing with an Openframe 2 that uses a small BCM combo wireless/Bluetooth PCie card with small antennas.  That said it is connected to HS HSTouch and doing well this morning (2 days running). 

It does much better than the USB wireless dongles in the chumby's and regular Jogglers.

No disconnects with HSTouch.  (Using an Ubiquiti AP in the attic).

The touchscreen device will run HSTouch Linux and HSTouch Android aside from HSTouch XP.

I am pushing it this morning running some concurrent applications to HSTouch on it. (HD video screensaver playing back old home movies).

Video did ok with Android 800Mhz Arm (and 2.x version) (really modded HS touch Android in wall device - redid OS).

Attachments

• Wireless.jpg
    Wireless.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 36
Received the Sony NSZGS7 media player yesterday. Did some testing and low and behold it works beautifully for the Mobotix IP camera. Both the Chrome browser and the IP Camera Viewer app do an excellent job of displaying the camera feed, better than in the store. Prefer the IP camera app.

Dan (electron) said:
I actually just received my $40 Android 'PC', and installed ip cam viewer as well.  It works really well, and I am going to use this Android device to display a custom home automation interface with big buttons (I have a Gyration wireless mouse, which is perfect for this setup), and various other useful apps.

The only issue is the really crappy WiFi signal, which seems to be a common issue, but worst case, I will use a USB Ethernet adapter to get around this.

Dan,
  Which make of PC did you get? Did a search, didn't know they even existed pretty cool extremely small form factor.

What you need to get a IP camera to the analog domain is a video decoder (opposite to an encoder that converts an analog camera into an IP camera).  Many maufactures have these and they are pretty much an IP camera without the lens/image sensor, thus offering the same features as their camera lineup.

example from ACTi.
http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Video_Decoder/ACD-3100

Depending on what you want to do and how many this may or may not be the right solution.

A single decoder will of course take a single IP camera and create the analog video stream.

If you want to then distrivute it around the house then you can use a matrix switch to send baseband signals around or a modulator for less than perfect picture.

DTV modulatros are becomming cheaper now and they will over come this poor picture quality.

looking at doing multiple cameras - that starts to become expensive.

XBMC had a plugin for zoneminder so if an app for all these TV's and STB can be built then that will help solce the issue in domestic installs.

I currently use a foud channel modulator with each of the four cameras sent to all TV's in the house and just deal with the crap PQ.  My IP cameras also have an analog output.

I would love to see our TV's all go IP only.  No coax for antenna/cable, jut a single box in a central location and all converted to IP.  We could then just allocate a channel for the IP cameras or any other IP enabled video device in the house.  Alas, this is a long way off it at all.

Mick

I accomplish viewing IP Cameras on TV via WMC and Vera (and a few other programs like MediaBrowser to complet the picture.  I also provided some conservative high level retail costs.

[*]iSpy Camera Server
  • Receives Commands from Vera Home Automation Controller to Start and Stop recording based on motion sensors 
  • $10/mo + $150 per Night Vision Camera
  • Detailed here via HTTP or alpha Vera plugin

[*]VoxCommando  - Not required, but help provide audio out (wav files) and speech to text, as well as audio in (voice control)
  • Receives text to speech
  • Provides voice control of Home Automation, Windows Media Center.
  • $40 for VoxCommando + $75 for Amulet Remote
  • Detailed here (and  Star Trek persona)

[*]Home Automation - Vera (www.GetVera.com)
  • Vera uses Z-Wave to wirelessly communicate.  It runs on linux and has several plugins for TCP/IP based control outside of Z-Wave (Hue Lights, Russound/Sonos whole home audio, Weather, Sprinkers, etc)
  • Uses Z-Wave Motion Sensors
  • Makes External Calls to WMC, VoxCommando, and ISpy via simple HTTP calls (iSpy/VoxCommando) or Vera Plugins
  • Uploads Pictures Directly from Cameras to Internet if iSpy/WMC down.
  • $250 Vera + $50 Z-Wave Motion Sensor + $50 Zwave Light Switch
  • More detailed here

Basically, the experience is whether your playing music, watching TV, MediaBrowser, or Netfix in the WMC platform...when motion is detected:
  • Vera begins to upload pictures to cloud servers
  • Vera triggers iSpy to Begin Recording
  • Vera sends VoxCommand to play a Wav file alert (in my case, a a star trek sound) followed by a text to speech message like "Outdoor Perimeter Alert, Motion Detected at the Front Door".
  • Vera turns on the corresponding outdoor porch or flood light
  • Vera send WMC switches to a simple HTML web page that refreshes the camera picture every second full screen for 15 seconds.  This doesn't interfere with the currently playing video or music program which is displayed in a small windows PIP style in the bottom left corner.   After 15 seconds, it automatically returns
When motion is not detected timeout (configurable on a per motion sensor level):
  • Stop recording
  • Turns off the corresponding outdoor porch or flood light

You could do other things too with Vera integration:
  • Pop a Message Box in WMC alerting you of garage door open or describing where motion is (even if you don't have a camera) along with speech to text alert from VoxCommando.
  • Pause the program in WMC via Vera if Doorbell is rung (in addition to showing camera feed)
  • At Wakeup Alarm time...turn on TV, tune to Today Morning Show....and slowly ramp up bedroom lights.
  • There are also Tablet Apps like AutomationHD and Imperihome that can receive HTTP commands from Vera to play speech to text and switch to a specific camera feed if you don't need it on your main TV.  You could also use Vera to switch TV inputs to a different HDMI feed (via IR blasters like iTach) if you want a more traditional camera DVR setup. 

In my case the WMC HTPC has a single HDMI output which gets split using a cheap 8 ports HDMI splitter ($80) that goes to each TV in the house.  I have motion sensors in each room that has a TV/Ceiling speakers go on automatically when you walk in the room.  

Off topic - If you want you or your family wants to watch own program, you can use usee MediaBrowser DLNA "Play To" funtionality, you can also direct stream to a TV in the Office, Living Room, or Bedroom TV (any DLNA DMS capable TV or Xbox).  You can also stream to your phone or tablet too for watching remote...but sadly I'm digressing from the topic as DLNA direct stream or remote play can't get message box or camera feeds like WMC will...and that is what your asking for.  MediaBrowser is pretty cool though if you haven't checked it out.

Anyway, I hope this helps show you what is possible if you want this dialed in to your general tv watching experience...and much easier project if you have WMC already.  Don't know if you would classify this as "simple"...but it will 

Cheers!

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but Tinycam Monitor for Android now has support for Chromecast.  It's only in the beta version now, so you'll have to sign up for the beta to get it.  But, it should be rolled out soon to the main version.

We just upgraded to a flatpanel TV.
I came back to this thread to get ideas and finally settled on the Android TV box ($60 shipped).
Just received it and hooked it up, works like a champ.

I'm using the IP Cam Viewer app ($4).
It has a nice matrix view and I just leave the app running constantly and switch sources on the TV.

Now...how to automate the source switching when a vehicle approaches...
I can probably do it with IR, pull my old Ocelot out of the closet and serially connect it to the Omni.
But I'd love to do it via IP to the Samsung smart TV.

ETA:
I think I'm just going to hack a cheap programmable IR remote.
Wire in a relay to "press" the button to send the command.
Much easier than running serial comms between the Ocleot and HAI.
Off to e-bay...

Supports ONVIF cameras, and some guy in the comments says he was using some Dahua cameras (which I have), so that was basically good enough for me.

Back