Simple way to view IP Cameras on TV

Here a thread on the CCTV forum relating to the mini nvr.

P_Mini_NVR001.jpg

Ok, so mine came in today and is set up. I'm mainly using it as an "IP to HDMI converter" so I don't have any comment on recording, motion detection, etc...

It looks like it's going to work ok though, but it was pretty difficult to set up. There's no manual in the box, only one of those mini CDs (which I can't play, because all I have is a slot-loading Mac). Eventually logged into the web interface, which was completely filled with broken English. A lot of the settings had what I found to be just slightly too vague labeling, etc... But eventually I got it figured out and am streaming my IP camera into one of my AVR inputs.

Hint: you can plug a mouse into the thing and just control it like that, including a little pop-up on screen keyboard.

The question I always have with these... can you get audio from more than one channel simultaneously?  So far the only product I've found that'll do this is BlueIris so turning off all recording and using a low powered PC would work (thinking monitoring multiple kid rooms).

Otherwise I just picked up the brand new Grandstream NVR - it's quite affordable and I can hear audio from one channel at a time, and view in lots of different configurations... I keep it recording all the time and turned on with a dedicated 22" TV connected to it to keep an eye on my yard and truck.  I like the audio so I can listen for the sounds of someone snooping around or breaking a window to hopefully wake me.

You got me looking at the new Grandstream GVR 3550.  Very nice and good price. 

grandstream3550-1.jpg

Grandstream-3550-2.jpg

Here I am now at all Grandstream HD IP cams and still using Optex combo analog cams (updating them).

Have you tried a non Grandstream IP cam with the NVR yet?

• Automatic discovery for IP cameras
  • Support for 24 Channels of IP cameras
  • Max 16 TB of storage capability
  • RAID 0, 1 Storage Solution
  • Auto recording resume after power failure
  • Support for ONVIF Compliant products
  • View live feed remotely

I am currently utilizing the Grandstream encoder / decoder for my legacy HAI Omnivideo hub and it works well.

Pete - price is awesome - cheaper than any Dahua or other brand NVR's I've found... I wanted to do an official review on it but haven't had time.  Opening the inside, it's incredibly simple:
Photo Dec 12, 9 45 12 PM.jpg

It ships without a hard drive so I added a 3TB I had sitting around.  It doesn't have an app yet so I'm simultaneously recording with BlueIris for remote viewing and better motion detection but I come back to this for the full HD recordings and multi-camera playback.  I also keep it plugged into a TV that's on all the time so I can see and hear the goings on out front and listen for someone messing around near my truck when I have to leave it outside.

I'll have to do some more testing with the motion sensing and the I/O ports - it should ultimately move next to the M1 so I can tie the two together - do things like kick the lights on for a color image if movement is detected; or trigger it to record and send snapshots upon certain rules in the M1.

I haven't tested it with non-Grandstream cameras yet; or at least not ONVIF.  I had no luck getting it to talk to my Aircam (not surprising).  I have a client who it'd be a good fit for so I may test it - they have a good mix of Foscam, Dahua, Grandstream, ACTi and Sony - quite the mixed bag.  Hopefully I'll get the chance.  Since the hardware is so simple inside I'm hoping it can handle extreme environments decently.

All in all it's a first release product but it does seem to function pretty well and if they continue development and get the mobile apps out I think it'll be a great entry to the market.

Thank-you Work2Play

Yup here have a hodgepodge of integration using ZM, Omnitouch & Video Hub, Grandstream Decoder, Grandstream server and now all of the IP cameras are Grandstream based with remaining analog cams being Optex combos.

I need to keep the analog stuff (Optex) going until I upgrade the combos to HD IP (well trying to fit a double stacked 38mm board is still very tight in the Optex cameras and was going to give it a go with my analog deck combination camera).

I would like to integrate the analog trigger inputs of the DVR to the OmniPro II stuff similiar to what you are doing with the Elk.

What would you recommend?  Should I get a dedicated output board such that I can trigger outputs with the analog inputs on the OPII board?

I like the included API with it.

Looking here to to do a review with pictures of the new NVR.  Will take a bunch of pictures.  Can I use picture above relating to blog.

I did have at one time 3 Aircams on line.  Then left one for a while and just replaced it with a Grandstream OS camera.  It was

Ok. Still working on this thing. The little NVR is works like a champ, and I've got a little rule that switches the AVR input over to it when the doorbell rings. Actually works well.

So now I want to do it on my main living room tv, but there's a few wrinkles: TV has all of its HDMI inputs full. This is ok, because I think it would work better here to pop up in PIP. The difficulty is that this Samsung TV can only play antenna/cable tuner sources on PIP.

I did find this: it's the perfect solution. Basically an HD RF modulator that shows up like a digital OTA channel.

http://www.pvistore.com/compact-hd-rf-modulator/?gclid=CPOx7IyBnsMCFQeMaQodppsAFg

Unfortunately, this is nowhere NEAR important enough for me spend $900 on.

On the plus side, I don't really NEED all that HD resolution. This thing's going to be PIP and I just want to see who's at the door. So a regular $9 RF modulator should do the trick. The issue is how convert my HDMI signal to analog and knock the resolution down low enough to make this work?

The NVR a also has a VGA output if that's of any help.

Any ideas?

@ Work, based on your background, I'm sure you're aware, but for others unsure, I'd suggest staying away from consumer level HDD's in NVR/DVR's. I think one of the best values out there at the moment is the WD purple drives. (but we use a ton of the Black ones).

The issue is how convert my HDMI signal to analog and knock the resolution down low enough to make this work?

There are boxes that do this (IE: HDMI to Composite video) on Amazon for around $30.

How about using Win TV stick ( has hdmi ouput )
Google meegopad
then u can install client or use camera web gui and u done

pete_c said:
There are boxes that do this (IE: HDMI to Composite video) on Amazon for around $30.
Got one of those and I don't have a signal. Unfortunately I haven't got around to trying to troubleshoot which link of this Rube Goldberg chain is failing yet.

ak357 said:
How about using Win TV stick ( has hdmi ouput )
Google meegopad
then u can install client or use camera web gui and u done
1) All of my HDMI are already occupied on the TV
2) Trying to do this on Picture-In-Picture, but my TV only plays tuner sources for PIP.

If a slight delay is alright, you can install TinyCam on an old Android device, and then have it stream to a Chromecast for $35.  Last time I tried it, the video was about 15 seconds behind.

VLC is supposedly adding Chromecast support.  You can actually have VLC take multiple live camera streams, and have it encode an outgoing stream in realtime with all of your cameras in a grid.  Once they have Chromecast support, you could do it this way.

@DEL - of course - I only used that drive because 1) it was laying around and of no real use to me, and 2) I have redundant recording currently between 2 systems.

@swancoat - I have one of these - it was a test related to bugs in RPi/XBMC related to audio out... but long story short - it turns HDMI to Component audio/video and it works great.

Back