Haiku Space Questions/Troubleshooting/etc

lupinglade said:
We're working on adding more controls/overview to the home screen. Regarding the cameras, make sure the camera # is set to 0.
Thanks, but I did see that suggestion earlier and have confirmed that camera # is 0 for all. Crash still occurs and the preview shows as offline. Exact same settings (camera settings are configured in PC Access) work fine with Haiku.

lupinglade said:
The rooms are configured using PC Access, under the Extended Setup section. Space will pick these up and group your units (and any other items) for you accordingly.

The extended setup "Rooms" on the Omni are more like "virtual" rooms than the old HAI rooms because in extended setup Rooms you can put anything you want in them. Even units from other physical rooms can be placed inside a Room in extended setup as well as cameras, buttons, etc.

Until I get Space all figured out I created a "Room" which is more like a set of favorites. When I'm sitting near the TV/Audio system I like to be able to control other items in the house (i.e. nearby kitchen lights, foyer lamps, main thermostat, etc.) I placed all these items in an extended (virtual) room and it gives me quick access to all of them when I'm watching TV. So it's kind of my virtual favorites room.

To echo what I've seen from several others, Space has a nice clean look, but in too many regards it's a step back in functionality. Haiku is still my primary app for actually using my OmniPro system. It's far easier to take actions and see system status in Haiku. Once Space evolves it should be a better app than Haiku, but right now it's mostly eye candy for me. I highly encourage you to create a homepage that has the same summary capability that Haiku has. Having to jump from screen to screen just to see what's going on with different parts of the system makes Space very unwieldy.

I don't want to sound too negative... I see a lot of potential in Space... but it needs some significant changes to get it on par with the raw utility of Haiku. I'll be following the development very eagerly!

I have space 1.03 and Omni firmware 3.14a. When trying to add a new rtsp camera, as soon as I finish adding and click on the preview, the app crashes. When I reopen app, the recently added camera is gone.

jlipsit said:
I really like these iBeacons by RAD Beacon. They allow you to change the UUID and adjust the output power via a iPhone application. The do not use batteries, and can be plugged into a wall wart behind furniture in a room. It's important to be able to adjust the power to minimize the RF footprint between areas. 

Have you tested them with Space? Do they work well? I would like to order some but wanted to hear if they work well.

Thanks.

SPACE Automation

I would like to see a ROOM (HAI based) that has the ability to change the background with a Floor Plan PHOTO as we can now do with the home page. With moveable, resizable icons, adjustable text and color.

The name of this room is "Floorplan" That was created in PC Access3 in my customer systems, It started with HAI's Automation Studio but since the Touchscreen's 5.7e's are no longer available SPACE Automation is my new iPad interface, I hope!

Also, the messages must be change back to the banner style and the text size increased with the yellow color in the background, please.
CJW

CJW-PIC said:
SPACE Automation
I would like to see a ROOM (HAI based) that has the ability to change the background with a Floor Plan PHOTO as we can now do with the home page. With moveable, resizable icons, adjustable text and color.
The name of this room is "Floorplan" That was created in PC Access3 in my customer systems, It started with HAI's Automation Studio but since the Touchscreen's 5.7e's are no longer available SPACE Automation is my new iPad interface, I hope!
Also, the messages must be change back to the banner style and the text size increased with the yellow color in the background, please.
CJW
Many people, myself included, are looking for an iPad replacement for the Omni Touchscreens (just read the other boards.) if Space (with or without the helper) could do it I think Nullriver would have a little gold mine on their hands. There is no doubt someone is going to do it. I would hate to see NR miss the boat.

Haiku V3 is sufficing for many of us in it's current form. Make Space truly the next generation with expanded capabilities, not just a redesigned interface. So +1 for some kind of concise main screen which would blow the Omni Touchscreens out of the water. Even if you just mimicked the current Omni screens to start and then improve on them. Cha-Ching Nullriver, do you hear that money just waiting to be flowing you way?

avpman2 said:
Many people, myself included, are looking for an iPad replacement for the Omni Touchscreens (just read the other boards.) if Space (with or without the helper) could do it I think Nullriver would have a little gold mine on their hands. There is no doubt someone is going to do it. I would hate to see NR miss the boat.

Haiku V3 is sufficing for many of us in it's current form. Make Space truly the next generation with expanded capabilities, not just a redesigned interface. So +1 for some kind of concise main screen which would blow the Omni Touchscreens out of the water. Even if you just mimicked the current Omni screens to start and then improve on them. Cha-Ching Nullriver, do you hear that money just waiting to be flowing you way?
Space already has such a home screen (and will be getting more features soon). It already has a wall mount mode, too.

CJW-PIC said:
SPACE Automation

CJW
Could you clarify this? What do you mean by banner style/yellow background?

swaggy said:
I have space 1.03 and Omni firmware 3.14a. When trying to add a new rtsp camera, as soon as I finish adding and click on the preview, the app crashes. When I reopen app, the recently added camera is gone.
The fix for this is already submitted to Apple, just waiting for it to go live.

lupinglade said:
Space already has such a home screen (and will be getting more features soon). It already has a wall mount mode, too.

I already have the "Wall Mount" mode enabled in the iPad Apps settinngs for Space. But it didn't change anything, at least that I could figure out. What's supposed to happen when it's enabled?

swaggy said:
Have you tested them with Space? Do they work well? I would like to order some but wanted to hear if they work well.

Thanks.

Yes, I have 19 installed in my house. (20 is the MAX that can be used). They work well, but it is very important to have reasonable expectations about how RF works. You will have to fine tune the RF output power and experiment with placement; so that the RF does not bleed into other areas. For example, you may need to have two beacons that have the same ID operating in low power mode to cover a room - not one operating in high power mode.   ^_^

I think it will be better to just start with a few in some key areas you want to cover. (Although the company has a good price break when you buy 10.)  You should consider buying the power supply that they sell too since it is a pretty good price.

I created "Follow me lighting" and "Follow me Music" - where, if the appropriate FLAG is enabled, the music or lights will follow me throughout the house.  It works well.

I asked for a feature enhancement in SPACE that will allow the user to put iBeacons in groups whereas a group would only allow 1 to be on at the same time (The one with the strongest signal RSSI), but this is a enhancement that may take a little time - if it is even considered. (I hope so!)  -  Currently, multiple different iBeacons can be seen as ON at the same time. This is good for some applications, so I requested that that functionality be preserved as well. 

I hope to shoot a video in the next few days of the Follow me feature.

I have noticed one problem that I think needs to be fixed in SPACE in relation to iBeacon regions - I have noticed that the FLAGS can change from ON to OFF very fast in some cases when a beacon is on the fridge of coverage. I have had my HAI system running for 2 years now and have never had it lock up communications, however since I installed SPACE I have had it lock up 3 times in 1 week (All touch screens lose the connection as well as SPACE and HAIKU.). In each scenario, I suspect SPACE was sending FLAG changes too fast to the controller. (I'm hoping the developer can make some changes to help ensure these functions don't fire too quickly.)  

I also want to create a FLOOR plan on my 5.7e touchscreen that will have a graphic that would show which area in the house I am (Or when I left my phone). Of course you can set a different set of flags for each iPhone user. 

For Example:

JimOffice
JimBedroom
JimKitchen
CindyOffice
CindyBedroom

Allowing you to have completely separate capabilities for each person in the house.

TIPS:

1. When you get the iBeacon change the UUID to something easy to type into the phone - IE:  22222222-2222-2222-2222-222222222222
2. Keep the UUID the same on all iBeacons, make the MAJOR 1 and then change the MINOR to the room number ( 1 - X).
3. Name the iBeacon the exact same as the area that it is covering - match the NAME in SPACE. 
4. The RAD iBeacon is configured with a free iPhone APP (also a free iMAC APP). 
5. The iBeacon is only discoverable 30 minutes after it is plugged. (They say, but I see it long afterward).
6. The PASSCODE to configure the iBeacon is 0000, but can be changed.
7. Keep the advertising RATE at the MAX.
8. Turn off the ALT beacon broadcast - it is not needed.
9. Use the wall wart power supply to experiment with the best placement, but then you can install a mixed USB / outlet wall plug like this for a clean installation:
http://www.alairhomes.com/scarborough/wp-content/uploads/sites/38/2014/08/usb-wall-plug.jpg.jpg

There are many different types to choose from.

Good Luck - 

Jim

Wow, thanks Jim! This is great info.

Why max of 20? Not that I think I would need more than that but just curious.

swaggy said:
Wow, thanks Jim! This is great info.

Why max of 20? Not that I think I would need more than that but just curious.
There is an iOS limitation of 20 regions monitored at a time in the API docs. Space will let you add more, but I don't know that it would work.

Back