Special Brultech ECM-1220.H offer to cocoontech members.

Btechrep:

I am preparing to replace my entire electrical service hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be a new 200 amp service. In the real world, how much difference in accuracy would there be between the split and donut type CTs?

I gather from previous comments that you would recommend the donut type CT instead of the one in the kit, is this correct? I have been planning to go with the donut type but the option of being able to remove the Split CTs without disturbing the wiring is pretty appealing.

Are the magnelab SCT-0750-200 Split CTs and the UCT-1000-200 donut type CTs of the same accuracy and quality as the ones you plan to provide?

If your UL listed CTs are not available yet, can you provide the magnelab SCT-0750-200 CT or the UCT-1000-200 with the package, or if I buy them seperately, will there be an adjustment on the cost for purchasing the kit without the CTs?

Would it be ok to contact your business by phone during the day for questions or purchase of a kit?

Thanks for all your support on this board.

Brian

Brian

There would not be much difference in accuracy if you use "donut" CTs instead of split core types.

Our CT accuracy is comparable (if not better) to Magnelab's.

Our CTs are now UL listed, however, the mold is being modified to imprint our UL and model number and company name. By the time this process is completed and the UL/c versions are manufactured it will be approx 40 days.

We had some Magnelab versions here but I believe they have been recently sold. I'll have to check. We cannot re-emburse you the cost of purchasing Magelab's CTs. If we still have some in stock, we can make a direct exchange.

Paul

I went and took a look at my panel today after having this sitting in my parts closet for a month. It doesn't look like i have the typical wires coming from the meter to the main breaker, but 2 metal bars. Would the CTs go around the bars or someplace else.
View attachment 1954

Can you get a diagram of this panel to determine if there is buss bar access inside to meter area?

The rogowski type CTs are faily expensive and require an electronic integrator circuit (batteries-yuk). I can get a 0.5" "donut" type CT however that would require dis-assembling the buss to thread the buss bar through the CT.

Paul

Can you get a diagram of this panel to determine if there is buss bar access inside to meter area?

The rogowski type CTs are faily expensive and require an electronic integrator circuit (batteries-yuk). I can get a 0.5" "donut" type CT however that would require dis-assembling the buss to thread the buss bar through the CT.

Paul

The closest I've been able to find is here: SquareD SC3040M200F

Installed mine yesterday.

Panels%20Open.jpg

Completed.jpg

Brian

Btechrep:

I am preparing to replace my entire electrical service hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks. It will be a new 200 amp service. In the real world, how much difference in accuracy would there be between the split and donut type CTs?

I gather from previous comments that you would recommend the donut type CT instead of the one in the kit, is this correct? I have been planning to go with the donut type but the option of being able to remove the Split CTs without disturbing the wiring is pretty appealing.

Are the magnelab SCT-0750-200 Split CTs and the UCT-1000-200 donut type CTs of the same accuracy and quality as the ones you plan to provide?

If your UL listed CTs are not available yet, can you provide the magnelab SCT-0750-200 CT or the UCT-1000-200 with the package, or if I buy them seperately, will there be an adjustment on the cost for purchasing the kit without the CTs?

Would it be ok to contact your business by phone during the day for questions or purchase of a kit?

Brian

Brian

There would not be much difference in accuracy if you use "donut" CTs instead of split core types.

Our CTs are now UL listed, however, the mold is being modified to imprint our UL and model number and company name. By the time this process is completed and the UL/c versions are manufactured it will be approx 40 days.

We had some Magnelab versions here but I believe they have been recently sold. I'll have to check. We cannot re-emburse you the cost of purchasing Magelab's CTs. If we still have some in stock, we can make a direct exchange.

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could wait until your UL labeled CT's are available but I don't want the pricing you have set up for us to expire before I order. Should I go ahead and place an order and let the CT's be on backorder until the UL labeled ones are available?

Did I hear something about an RS232 version? If so, would this be in addition to or in place of the USB connection? What would the cost and availability be?

It would appear that RS232 would be an easy way to allow the unit to be placed further away from the computer.

Also did the ethernet version happen and if so, at what cost?

Thanks again,
Brian

Btechrep:

Brian

Brian

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could wait until your UL labeled CT's are available but I don't want the pricing you have set up for us to expire before I order. Should I go ahead and place an order and let the CT's be on backorder until the UL labeled ones are available?

Did I hear something about an RS232 version? If so, would this be in addition to or in place of the USB connection? What would the cost and availability be?

It would appear that RS232 would be an easy way to allow the unit to be placed further away from the computer.

Also did the ethernet version happen and if so, at what cost?

Thanks again,
Brian

Bump.

I got mine in the mail yesterday. It only took about 15 minutes to install and get connected to my HA server. Another 1/2 hour to install the USB drivers and all the various softwares and updates and I'm in business. Presently running the 'Lite' program (V1.10) and Real Time Listing to see what my consumption is. Boy, do my hot tub heaters ever suck up the juice. :eek:
I did notice how sensitive the system is. I can turn the little CFL bulb over my comuter desk on/off and see it in the dashboard application - cool!!
I'm waiting for Blade to finish his BLPowerMonitor Plug-In but he probably won't until Homeseer comes out with a 'released' version. He's avoiding the betas like the plague. I have seen some problems with BLIcon icon handling and the latest Homeseer betas (I'm on the latest, 2.2.0.135), so I understand why he's gun-shy about loading the beta.

Hi Guys,

Down here in New Zealand I have installed one of the first ECM1220.h configured to run on 230V AC 50Hz power supplies. Today marks day 30 of my monitoring program and I am attempting to download the data from the unit itself via the supplied USB cable. However, I have got some issues I can't seem to resolve:

1. I get the following error message on 3 different Pc's/laptops - Com Port Error #33 - and the RTL software (latest version) claims to scan all COM ports but cannot find the ECM 1220 device. I have tried the software on XP SP 3 and Vista SP1 with the same result.
3. In Device Manager, the ECM 1220.h shows up as being installed correctly as is the associated USB drivers and software.
2. I have deleted and reinstalled the drivers and the RTL software, but can no longer locate the ECM 1220.h unit via USB.
3. I have tried a new USB cable - same result.
4. The ECM1220.h continues to log data and appears to be operating correctly, however, I cannot communicate with it.

Help! I'll send a PM to Paul at Brultech as well, perhaps he can help. So far the software supplied has been disappointing from my point of veiw, with a lot of lockups, error messages etc. I'd be really interested in any standalone apps developed for Windows (or Linux) that can support this device.

Any help really appreciated at this stage! Do I have a faulty ECM1220.h?

Cheers
Andrew

I have sent this message on to Brultech support also, but was wondering if anyone else had seen similar behavior.

I am having weird stuff happening when I download data from the ECM-1220.H. Apparently it can predict how much electricity I'll be using tomorrow.
I am using the Lite (V1.10) software and after selecting 'File - Download data' and entering in todays date and 18:00 hours I get data starting at 18:00 hours as requested, but going through to 17:00 hours tomorrow. :eek:

Rec # Date Time CH1 Watt CH2 Watt TOT Watt Volt CH1 KWh CH2 KWh TOT KWh Cost $
275 11:10:2008 17:00 333 754 1087 117 9.569 21.057 30.626 $3.89
274 11:10:2008 16:55 214 911 1125 114 9.542 20.994 30.536 $3.88
2 11:09:2008 18:15 1313 666 1979 118 .221 .336 .557 $0.07
1 11:09:2008 18:10 1336 3364 4700 120 .111 .280 .392 $0.05

Any idea what's happening?

Hi Guys,

Down here in New Zealand I have installed one of the first ECM1220.h configured to run on 230V AC 50Hz power supplies. Today marks day 30 of my monitoring program and I am attempting to download the data from the unit itself via the supplied USB cable. However, I have got some issues I can't seem to resolve:

1. I get the following error message on 3 different Pc's/laptops - Com Port Error #33 - and the RTL software (latest version) claims to scan all COM ports but cannot find the ECM 1220 device. I have tried the software on XP SP 3 and Vista SP1 with the same result.
3. In Device Manager, the ECM 1220.h shows up as being installed correctly as is the associated USB drivers and software.
2. I have deleted and reinstalled the drivers and the RTL software, but can no longer locate the ECM 1220.h unit via USB.
4. The ECM1220.h continues to log data and appears to be operating correctly, however, I cannot communicate with it.

Help! I'll send a PM to Paul at Brultech as well, perhaps he can help. So far the software supplied has been disappointing from my point of veiw, with a lot of lockups, error messages etc. I'd be really interested in any standalone apps developed for Windows (or Linux) that can support this device.

Cheers
Andrew

Did you check the configuration of the ECM1220 itself to make sure it setup for USB comms?

Brian

Hi Guys,

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

Your firmware is a special 50Hz firmware version. I doubt if this could cause the problems you describe, so lets try a few things.

1. Check the version USB driver. It should be ver 5.3. Older driver versions had similar problems as you described.

2. On the ECM-1220 unit, go to the main menu and select "Setup". Option 4 is "USB or Wireless". Just in case you have the zigbee version firmware, check to see if you can select one ot the other. Make sure it is set to USB.

The USB driver can be downloaded from here: http://brultech.com/ecmsupportupdate.html

I also suggest to try the Lite 1220 software which you can download from the same link.

Give this a try, and email me with your results, and we can take it from there.

I would be the first to admit that we can do better as far as software goes. We are waiting for some people to finish development on a much improved version of software.

Paul

I have sent this message on to Brultech support also, but was wondering if anyone else had seen similar behavior.

I am having weird stuff happening when I download data from the ECM-1220.H. Apparently it can predict how much electricity I'll be using tomorrow.
I am using the Lite (V1.10) software and after selecting 'File - Download data' and entering in todays date and 18:00 hours I get data starting at 18:00 hours as requested, but going through to 17:00 hours tomorrow. :eek:

Rec # Date Time CH1 Watt CH2 Watt TOT Watt Volt CH1 KWh CH2 KWh TOT KWh Cost $
275 11:10:2008 17:00 333 754 1087 117 9.569 21.057 30.626 $3.89
274 11:10:2008 16:55 214 911 1125 114 9.542 20.994 30.536 $3.88
2 11:09:2008 18:15 1313 666 1979 118 .221 .336 .557 $0.07
1 11:09:2008 18:10 1336 3364 4700 120 .111 .280 .392 $0.05

Any idea what's happening?

I believe the software asks for the start time and date of monitoring. If you put today's date, that would explain results for tomorrow. We plan on changing this to allow the current time and date to calculate the monitoring start time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers.... and have checked the USB setup on the unit. The ECM 1220 shows "USB ACTIVE" in Option 4. The drivers install under Vista without an issue, and when I plug in the ECM 1220H USB cable, the PC recognises the device, installs the software OK and claims the hardware is ready to use.

With these things confirmed, I still get the following in the RTL Software:

Searching Communication Ports For Energy Consumption Monitor

The default COM port is valid, but no Energy Consumption Monitor found.
The default COM port is invalid. Searching for Energy Consumption Monitor on other COM ports ....
COM Port # 3 Found
COM Port # 6 Found
COM Port # 7 Found
COM Port # 8 Found
COM Port # 15 Found
COM Port # 16 Found

Other fault messages are "Com POrt Error #33" and "Failed to get ACK". I am beginning to think that there is an error with the USB connectivity on the ECM unit itself, as I have tried to connect with three seperate PC's, two of which have talked to the ECM 1220 in the past 30 days without a problem.

The new drivers showed the UART bridge installed on COM 8. However, setting the COM port to 8 fails to get the PC to communicate. What is unusual is that I have been able to communicate in the past 30 days to the ECM 1220. In fact, I downloaded some test data with out a hitch on day 14.

Any further help appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers.... and have checked the USB setup on the unit. The ECM 1220 shows "USB ACTIVE" in Option 4. The drivers install under Vista without an issue, and when I plug in the ECM 1220H USB cable, the PC recognises the device, installs the software OK and claims the hardware is ready to use.

With these things confirmed, I still get the following in the RTL Software:

Searching Communication Ports For Energy Consumption Monitor

The default COM port is valid, but no Energy Consumption Monitor found.
The default COM port is invalid. Searching for Energy Consumption Monitor on other COM ports ....
COM Port # 3 Found
COM Port # 6 Found
COM Port # 7 Found
COM Port # 8 Found
COM Port # 15 Found
COM Port # 16 Found

Other fault messages are "Com POrt Error #33" and "Failed to get ACK". I am beginning to think that there is an error with the USB connectivity on the ECM unit itself, as I have tried to connect with three seperate PC's, two of which have talked to the ECM 1220 in the past 30 days without a problem.

The new drivers showed the UART bridge installed on COM 8. However, setting the COM port to 8 fails to get the PC to communicate. What is unusual is that I have been able to communicate in the past 30 days to the ECM 1220. In fact, I downloaded some test data with out a hitch on day 14.

Any further help appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Please give the Lite-1220 software a try. I will send you a diagnostic program tomorrow.

Paul

Hi again Paul,

I should have metioned that I have been trying the latest version of the Lite 1220 software as well with the same result. No comms between the PC's and the ECM 1220H unit.

I'll wait till I receive the diagnostic software from you to see if it sheds any light on the matter.

Thanks again for the help mate,
Andrew

Back