SSD power consumption

mikefamig

Just a heads up to anyone considering upgrading a HDD to SSD, check the power consumption specs first.

I upgraded an old HP Pavillion laptop from a Fujitsu 7200 rpm HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO and had a problem. It ran great for a couple of weeks but recently started shutting itself down for no apparent reason. I checked connections on the RAM sticks and the SSD and no improvement. Then it occurred to me to put the old HDD back in place of the SSD and that seems to have fixed it.

I looked up the specs for the two devices and the SSD has a max power consumption of 4.0 watts and the HDD 0.8 watts.

DOH!

I did the same trade up with an older netbook and found boot speed about the same and found battery life about the same. It was a waste of time and money.

Heated up about the same also.

Sent using Tapatalk

I believe that I saw faster screen loads in Firefox and some other speed improvements. Definitely faster boot times. It depends on the machine and whether the hard drive was a bottle neck in the system. Task manager has a decent monitor now to watch that sort of thing.

Mike.

Back