SVAT CCTV Systems

Lately I've been looking to upgrade my Optex camera's. (2nd time in 10 years now)

I upgraded the analog boards to a wider lens / higher resolution board a couple of years back.

The Optex combo analog cameras are very modular as I have disassembled them a few times over the years. The construction has done well with the weather over 10 years now with no deterioration of any of its pieces.

Attached is a current view via one of the Optex cameras and what I am looking to modify the camera with. The new board would provide both IP and analog out.

Attachments

• Old.jpg
    Old.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 27
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 24
The 2 MP ~ $100 IP camera that I am looking to test will look like the attached picture except it will have a poe connection.

Attachments

• 2MPwithPOE.jpg
    2MPwithPOE.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 9
The 2 MP ~ $100 IP camera that I am looking to test will look like the attached picture except it will have a poe connection.

Is that a generic camera or a specific manufacturer?

I was thinking of going on ebay or aliexpress and purchase a few different generic cameras from China to give them a shot.

The aircam looks good during the day but pretty bad with low light enviroments and useless in no light.

It is a generic camera. I have taken mine apart. Its just a camera board attached to an IP/OS board.

So far I just know that it is using a "Grandtec" based OS. I think many of the newer lower priced IP cameras are using same OS. The menus are identical and very many features.

I think that the Aircam is an OK "first attempt" at providing a MP $100 IP camera for the US market.

The new generic camera is using some sort of cree looking lamps which are very bright. Its nice to have but not the selling point. My Optex cameras utilize ambient light and work fine.

The documentation received with the camera (manual and API specifications) are Grandtec.

http://www.grand.com...lcon.php?menu=0

http://ip-netcam.com...elIPCamera).pdf

Here is a picture of the generic IP camera that I am playing with. Its a bit large.

Attachments

• Unpacking.jpg
    Unpacking.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Config-1.jpg
    Config-1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Config-2.jpg
    Config-2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 12
It is a generic camera. I have taken mine apart. Its just a camera board attached to an IP/OS board.

So far I just know that it is using a "Grandtec" based OS. I think many of the newer lower priced IP cameras are using same OS. The menus are identical and very many features.

I think that the Aircam is an OK "first attempt" at providing a MP $100 IP camera for the US market.

The new generic camera is using some sort of cree lamps which are very bright. Its nice to have but not the selling point. My Optex cameras utilize ambient light and work fine. I have outdoor motion sensors which turn on every light outside if they are off; so its not really needed anyways.

The documentation received with the camera (manual and API specifications) are Grandtec.

http://www.grand.com.tw/sur_iFalcon.php?menu=0

http://ip-netcam.com/grandtec/document/UserManual(MegaPixelIPCamera).pdf

Here is a picture of the generic IP camera that I am playing with. Its a bit large.

Hi Pete_C, do you know the part numbers for your Optex pieces? I've used some of their exterior photo-electric sensors before with a lot of success - http://www.absolutea...com/photobeams/ - I purchased them here. Also for dos46 I've called Absolute Automation before with any part numbers from Optex and they've been able to get me a quote for the pieces.

Caveat emptor: This person is associated with Absolute Automation.

The combo Optex cameras/PIRs "pieces" have never failed in over 10 years of use. The combos are DC-300 series older gen combo Optex cameras. Purchased a "few" of these over 10 years ago. Kind of "firesale" like so I purchased the entire "lot" that the vendor was selling. Around the same time bought the vendor's lot of PIR's with pinhole cameras in them.

I don't think they are being sold anymore anywhere these days?

Very well built devices, very discrete and a very nice footprint. Unless you stare at it some you don't even know its a camera.

Optex DC300.jpg

The newer Optex combo outdoor camera/PIR are not as discrete looking. (kind of has a mobotix look)

http://www.optexamer...?l1=2&l2=&id=31

Outdoor PIR-3.jpg

I just wanted better optics and more features so did a "hot" swap of all of the Optex camera boards going to same size boards (except better resolution, optics (going to a 3.6 lens), etc ($200 camera board which I purchased for less than $100 each).

The next update to the Optex camera board will be a major mod/hack as I am adding a network cable to the connection. I am now at the analog limits of the cameras so moving them to IP (still keeping the analog connection though) IE: today there is an RG6, Power and 2 pair alarm cable going to them. With the update adding a network cable to each of them.

I ordered a replacement 3.6 mm (from 4.0 mm) lens for the Ubiquito Aircam. Many folks have done away with the IR filter to do night viewing with an external LED illuminator. The color rendition changes though without the IR lens.

Vendor which provided the generic IP camera is sending me two new with POE generic IP cameras (they are still testing them); one 1 MP and the other is a 2 MP. Vendor is also sending me the combo analog IP 38mm square IP board for the Optex camera board replacement. (the major hack/mode of the Optex combo device).

I was looking at these aircams as well, but the view angle isn't very wide (47*).

Can I put in an aftermarket lens, maybe a 2.5mm like this:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a6b0103f8

Or even a 2.1mm? What kind of viewing angle would they give?

Also, would it work at all in low light - a yard/parking lit up with multiple yard lights? Image doesn't have to be much, as long as we can see people (not make out faces)

Yeah, it's compatible with those 1/4" fixed board lenses. The only catch to all that, is that the camera itself doesn't do any IR filtering/etc... you need to find lenses that have IR Filtering built in, otherwise it's pretty useless during the day.

Those things are so cheap, it's worth buying a few and experimenting. I unfortunately don't remember at all what the stock lens is - though I knew a few months ago.

The aircam lenses in the specs shows 4.0mm/F1.5 (whatever the F1.5 means?)

Im just not sure how much it changes the viewing angle going from 4.0mm to say 2.5mm.....

I think the one I linked must have IR filtering, because some other ones from that seller specifically say IR camera...should check though.

They sell the lens with and without UV filters. Without a UV filter your daylight colors are a bit off. I've switched many of my cameras from 4-6mm to 3-3.6mm lens and they work fine (analog cameras). Think F means focal length or F-stop; aperture of the lens. The higher the number the smaller the aperture? (how much light is let in and focus points). The angle of view is stated with the description of the lens. On my two outer property cams I can see the curvature of the wide angle lens but each camera provides a nice view from end to end. I do see distoration on the periferal view with the IR lights on at night. The attempt to replace the Foscam lens didn't work because the IR lamps were too close to the edge of the lens.

None the less I ordered a couple of lens to play with. That said someone mentioned that you have to cut the spring inside in half to fit the lens on the camera and be able to focus it.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/apershutter/aperture.htm

They sell the lens with and without UV filters. Without a UV filter your daylight colors are a bit off. I've switched many of my cameras from 4-6mm to 3-3.6mm lens and they work fine (analog cameras). Think F means focal length or F-stop; aperture of the lens. The higher the number the smaller the aperture? (how much light is let in and focus points). The angle of view is stated with the description of the lens. On my two outer property cams I can see the curvature of the wide angle lens but each camera provides a nice view from end to end. I do see distoration on the periferal view with the IR lights on at night. The attempt to replace the Foscam lens didn't work because the IR lamps were too close to the edge of the lens.

The thing that's confusing me is the 4.0mm lens on the Aircam specs says 47*, but the 4.0mm on Ebay says 62*, so there must be more to the angle.
Looking at it again, the Ebay has an aperture of F2 vs F1.5 on Aircam, so maybe that's the difference?

Personally when I switched from the 4mm to the 3.6mm lens on the analog camera boards in the Optex combos I noticed a big difference. With the 4mm lens and the camera mounted between two garage doors I saw only the driveway and maybe 15 feet or so. Changing them over to 3.6mm I can see over the property line from side to side now.

The focal or focus to distance is different with the F2 versus the F1.5 lens.

I think I'll try a 2.8mm lens, it says 105* horizontal then says 105* diagonal...so I think it should give me a good 90* anyway.
Maybe I'll get a 3.6mm just in case.

Back