Total Home Surge Protector

Charlie - is the surge protector in your picture the box to the left of the right-hand enclosure?

What's it rated to? 150kA?

Charlie - is the surge protector in your picture the box to the left of the right-hand enclosure?

What's it rated to? 150kA?

Yes it is to the left. Rated to 160kA per phase.

Here is a link to the specs of the units.

http://www.sinewavetechnologies.biz/Portal.../PT160-SPEC.pdf

The SMART technology is listed as:

Audible Alarm, Surge Counter and Phase Loss Monitor. Basically it has dry contacts within the unit that you can hookup to HAI/Elk. Anytime significant surges come through, or you lose a phase, it can be detected and reported (through programming). A nice little feature but not essential.

Initially I ordered (and sending it back) a Leviton ($200) one. It was sitting waiting to be installed. Instead just purchased the following:

PTX160

I have to re-arrange some devices on the adjacent wood panel to fit this whole house surge protector.

My current panel is full; such that I will need to re-arrange some breakers to fit two more breakers in it.

Charlie, Noticed that you had a similiar one installed. Does the device utilize two 30 amp autonomous breakers?

Pete, that link didn't work, but found it here.

Did you get one with the 'SMART' (surger counter and phase loss indicator with audible alarm) technology? Spec sheet says it's an option. May I ask how much you paid for the Eaton product?

I've been looking at the Eaton Cutler-Hammer residential line of SPDs. They're releasing a new set - called ITRSP (Innovative Technology Residential Surge Protective), replacing the CHSP Cutler-Hammer series.

There is a recently released (2007) UL 1449 standard for SPDs, new ITRSP line supposedly meets it. Found an Eaton publication explaining the UL 1449 changes. It appears that additional testing is done to the UL 1449 approved units, but I'm not sure if the new ITRSP products are any different from the old CHSP line.

Edit - now your link is working for me, Pete. Don't know why. That link clearly states that the PTX160 is UL 1449 2nd edition approved, good to see.

Steve, I asked the CEDIA TPS booth rep about UL 1449, and he played dumb - didn't know anything about it. I guess the Joslyn 1449 approved units aren't available yet; the Eaton ITRSP is still special order - they're trying to clear out the older inventory (deals to be found on the older Eaton CHSP SPDs).

Purchase the
PTX-160
1S101 Split-Phase
3w+grnd
for $200 (same as Leviton that I returning).

Leviton 51120-1

Its an older model but new. (and a great deal).

Wonder if Eaton still still the optional board for it?

Problem is that right now I had the room to install the Leviton next to the fuse panel without moving anything on the plywood panel adjacecent and now I have to do some major moving around of a couple of 2 - 2 gang electrical boxes.

by 'board' do you mean the SMART interface?

where did you find it for that price?

wow, that PTX160 has a 20 year free replacement

Eaton, like other manufacturers, prob have a Minimum Advertised Price - might be able to find it cheaper than $1284.

That link says 'obsolete' for that device. I wonder what's replacing it?

Thanks Neurorad. I guess then I can still get the option board for the device.

Right now more concerned about it's installation footprint.

I have two wood panels on both sides of the main house fuse panel both populated with all of my HA "stuff". I also have dedicated circuits / outlets attached to the sides of the panel so I will be needed to re-arrange some of these outlets to make room for the surge protector.

You can find some pictures of the installation here if you are interested.

$50 spent on improving the earth ground can be more cost effective than 20X the $ in surge devices -- which can be expected to provide minimal protection absent a short, direct path to a low-resistance earth ground. (I didn't see any pictures or description of ground. Perhaps I missed them.)

... Marc

Picture 10 is labeled Ground and shows the green wire with yellow band going to the ground bar in the panel.

Picture 10 is labeled Ground and shows the green wire with yellow band going to the ground bar in the panel.

Hi Steve,

What I meant and wrote was "earth ground". What you show is a picture of the ground bar in the panel.

Electrons from surges are not magically absorbed somehow by the ground bar. Electrons need to be conducted to the earth =ground = earth ground. That is why it is critical to assure that the actual device buried in the ground has a sufficiently low resistance to the earth materials in which it is in contact (typically soil) and that the conductor to it from the panel bus bar is of sufficient gauge, short and straight.

A typical code-compliant residential earth ground is a single 8 ft copper-clad steel rod driven vertically into the ground. (As if all soils had the same resistance ! ) Some jurisdictions accept/require/d connection to water pipe (as if *that* was a good idea ;-)

Investing in surge devices is largely ineffective if the the ground is inadequate. There is a substantial body of engineering and scientific literature on the topic, reference to which seems to be assiduously avoided by purveyors of power-strips and surge-protectors. Why? Because square one is a good ground, not spending $ on surge protectors.

Here's a well-written article: http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Downlo...115_ENG_A_W.PDF

You have a much more sophisticated system than typical, and it is intended to do more than just protect from surges, but the physics remain: the electrons need to go somewhere.

At a minimum, I suggest that you review how your system is grounded, and assure that it meets electrical code and that connections are tight. Note though that the National electrical Code protects people and buildings against shock and fire hazards. It is not intended to protect electronic devices such as transistors and integrated circuits.

... Marc <lecture mode off>

Back