touchpad firesale starts the 20th

well this sux! The Touchpad will not connect to my iPhone running MyWi. Looking into MyWi a bit, it states that it creates an AdHoc network, and not all devices are capable of connecting to it. I can see the wireless network on my phone from my desktop, laptop and inwall pc, but not the Touchpad :(

barnes & noble has the 16gb $101.95 http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-with-16GB-Memory-WiFi-12GHz-Black/e/886111788637

WebOS? :throwup:

I heard there's a sweet deal on beta VCRs coming up!

people are buying 800mhz single core, 7" android 2.1 tablets with resistive screens without access to android market for $100. but for $1 less and less than half of the cost of the much smaller ipod touch and 1/5th the cost of the ipad, you can have a 1.2ghz dual core 9.7" capacitive ips touchscreen device. personally, i don't care that it's webos and that there's hardly any apps - i'm planning on using mine for HA interfaces. since my HA gui is built on ajax, all it needs is a browser to run on - it runs perfectly fine on windows, linux, a nokia n800, android, wii, our samsung tv, apple too i'm assuming since their browsers are webkit based, etc. and since building an app for webos is similar to building a web page, i've got no problems extending the functionality of these tablets. i think these are a better deal than the infocasts that i and so many others here bought.

For me I am looking forward to the android port. The touchpad might just be the best cheap android device out there... once they get android on it of course :)

I've noticed that the Intel Atom based Joggler with a capacitance screen runs circles around the Infocast 8" device. This alone leads me to believe that the HP Tablet will be similiar in speed.

A tangent here:

My first PDA in the 1990's was based on the Palm OS. (roots of the WebOS). It worked fine. At the time it was not a cell phone combo. My first use of the cell phone combo PDA was a cellular device which clipped onto the top of the PDA. Yes it made it a bit bulky but it allowed for internet access; GPRS; very slow baud rate; but it worked. At the time the Palm OS had evolved much using very little memory. Afterwards I became a MS Mobile adopter and later checked on the Android OS. Mostly in the beginning it was much of a learning experience from the XDA web site. I was able to "cook" my OS and customize the features on the MS Mobile (similiar to Android) that I wanted. For a bit every cellular phone I purchased; I would immediately root; never really satisfied with what ever the offerings were. Here in Illinois; I started (cell phone use) with initially Illinois Bell, Ameritech, AT&T, Cingular then back to AT&T. I never have changed carriers though; today I still utilize AT&T. I remember in the early 2000's buying a tablet called the Epod; it utilized CE1.0/CE2.0. It used wireless and worked OK.

Fast forward to today. I still have an MS Mobile phone (and Android). Historically I have always autoforwarded my cell phone to the office or to home. I leave the phone on the cradle whether in the office or home. I have connectivity to my home automation system and security cam system on my phone and utilize it when away. When I am home I prefer to look at the Touchscreens for home automation status as they are easier than looking at a little cellular phone screen. I really never text unless I am trying to get hold of my kids.

Guess with the tablet thing and historicals; most likely will use the tablet as an extension; not a primary means of getting to my HA system. (never really have with the numerous tablets I've used through the years). I'll probably get it to where I want to be with it; whatever the OS is; working just right; then setting it on a cradle; and that's where it'll probably be most of the time. I have recently now started to use events to drive or display various "things" on the touchscreens; IE: outdoor driveway events which use TTS and show live video of the driveway or front door; wife actually is looking at the touchscreens these days.

The HP Tablet deal as stated above is a very good deal and waiting to be played with. The hardware and construction makes the deal. I still want to play with WebOS; just because I can. Personally the whole tablet market is still open for more competition; after all mostly folks are all doing the same things with their tablets (and different OS's) and in the end that's really what matters. Really its just the differences in how the OS's work and becoming familiar with them.

I am seeing a historical and familiar trend though with the telcos and the youth today; making 3G/4G bytes of traffic a precious commodity; such that it the telcos will be pricing buckets of internet traffic like gasoline; an all to familiar trend with the telcos and telco centric good training for the newbee celluar phone PDA users. Similiar to using an ATM machine; when first introduced; like the PDA phone which does facebook for the average adolescent.

any of you tech guru's know how we can tether it to an iPhone for Internet? Are there cable tethering options, something other than MyWi that creates an AdHoc network.... anything?

just a heads up, some on SD are reporting their onsale via amazon orders are being canceled. onsale apparently doesn't understand how to manage inventory and sold way more than they had. same thing's happening to the barnes & noble sale last night.

any of you tech guru's know how we can tether it to an iPhone for Internet? Are there cable tethering options, something other than MyWi that creates an AdHoc network.... anything?

If its Linux based someone already probably did that or will do that. I use the little bitty white Mac like USB to NIC cables; cuz they are really little with the Chumby's; its recognized by the OS and is a different HW driver being utilized versus the Trendnet USB to NIC bulky devices. Tethering is becoming a defacto standard or just built in 3G/4G dongles....

Damage,

It probably would have been better just to pick one off a shelf; pay full price for it and get a refund price on the difference. With the juggling of stock etc; (like BB) its beginning to ding the effort.

I am fairly certain onSale will cancel my order, if my previous attempts at getting one are any indication! Oh well, I will keep searching just in case. You never know!

Pete,

I agree. I should have just bought them from amazon when they were available. their customer service has always been great to deal with and they've been giving touchpad price adjustments no questions asked.

I still don't understand or know whether the additional memory is just soldered to the board for the 32Gb tablet or if its some sort of drop in. I originally purchased one of my HP's as a single core celeron processor stripped to the bare bones laptop (black friday $175 special). I have since upgraded it using HP OEM parts to a core duo, BT / Wireless device just plugging in all of the missing pieces a little bit at a time. Its been a few years now and running fine. The traces on the motherboard with the HP part numbers helped a bunch. I just looked up the part numbers mentioned in the repair manual and ordered them online. It would be great if the tablet was similiarly built.

Damage; have you seen anything from HP on the originally ordered HP SBM site?

I think you mentioned that your initial order was via the HP site?

"You snooze, you lose!" and "Party's over." were phrases that came to mind as I tried to buy a Touchpad today.

Two days. Wow.

Yeah; now I am seeing threads about dinging web sites just mentioning the links...someone recently "started" the rumor that apple.com had thousands of HP tablets to sell....I started on this endeavor on FRI...so far with acks on my orders and only BB stating they really had none for sale.

Nothing yet from the other web sites; but then again they were not prepared for this...you'll be seeing Ebay now with all of the sellers who were able to get a "few" and reselling them...shortly....

Some interesting threads now on SD...many many CS stories...good and bad

Back