What do you use for off-site backup?

From iDrive's corporate background web page
IDrive is a service of Pro Softnet Corporation, an ASP and Internet Solutions Provider based in Calabasas, CA.

Since its inception in 1995, Pro Softnet Corp. has been harnessing the power of Information Technology by providing Internet-based solutions and customized Internet Software solutions for many Fortune 100 companies.

Our years of experience with the world's leading corporations have helped us understand how technology can help global businesses meet their needs.

There's more background info on the web page.

Data is encrypted before transmission and when stored on their drives. Of course, if you are worried about someone hacking their encryption, you can always encrypt it yourself before backing it up. May be a little bit of a pain to do that automatically for a file that is modified (and thus backed up) often. I guess you could schedule a program to encrypt the file and write it to another file an hour before the automatic backup begins, and have the backup only pick up the encrypted file.

Even on my home server i keep my financials and such in a TruCrypt containers..so i guess it can just back that up and things would be ok.

$5 / month for 150GB storage isn't that bad. If i don't count DVD backups I don't come close to 150GB. (15GB of pics, about the same in music, and a few GB in personal data/financials and such).

$5 / month for 150GB storage isn't that bad. If i don't count DVD backups I don't come close to 150GB. (15GB of pics, about the same in music, and a few GB in personal data/financials and such).

FWIW BackBlaze offers unlimited data storage for $5/month (with an 8GB single max file size - DVDs okay) - they also encrypt but I too would pre-encrypt anything personal/sensitive before uploading.

Terry

Even on my home server i keep my financials and such in a TruCrypt containers..so i guess it can just back that up and things would be ok.

just wait....... kids increase the number of photos multi-fold! I have 100+gigs of photos alone

The trouble with internet based off site storage for large volumes is, if you need it, it can take a long long time to download back to your computer. If you had 120gigs of photos and videos that were lost, and you tried to load them back to your home computer, it could take a week at 200kB/sec. Even if you have a blazing connection and their server will allow it, probably the fastest might be 600kB/sec and that would be about 2 days.

The trouble with internet based off site storage for large volumes is, if you need it, it can take a long long time to download back to your computer. If you had 120gigs of photos and videos that were lost, and you tried to load them back to your home computer, it could take a week at 200kB/sec. Even if you have a blazing connection and their server will allow it, probably the fastest might be 600kB/sec and that would be about 2 days.
Great point, Lou. That's why I have RAID-5 in the server, local backup (NASes in attic) as my main backup, and use iDrive for archival backup. It's much easier to pull files off a local backup than the cloud.

Kevin

Checkout www.crashplan.com

The home 'family' pack allows you to backup the whole house to offsite datacenter with unlimited size - its encrypted, dedup, incremental backups etc. It also runs on multiplatform and server os's. All for $5 a month (not per pc). You can also run it between systems with crashplan installed locally (without monthly fees). Its pretty freaking cool. I've had a drive crash and restored via crashplan and my data came back from their datacenters at 7+Mbps (20GB in 4-5hrs). They dont offer bare metal or image based recovery but its on the roadmap.

I haven't for a long time, but will chime in on this one. I recently switched to Mozy. One of the OP's original requirements was a reputable company - Mozy is owned by EMC (one of the big guy in the SAN space). A bit more than $5 / month.

I back up almost 80G - and they let you use an external USB drive as a "local backup" so as long as the house doesn't burn down I have quick access to my data.

All this said, the whole cloud and privacy issues exist. My most important stuff is encrypted with True Crypt and that volume is backed up as a file to Mozy.

-Chak

I run a backup server in-house that backs up my clients data and my own data on my home computer. As for backing up my local server. I use a USB hard drive backup, quickbooks online backup for quickbooks, and the i also use carbonite (slow but it works for us for now) for my main server. I want to setup a 2nd backup server and leave it at my boss's house in his rack to backup our server also, just costs money for licensing.

Software I use is Vembu for our online backups for customers

Back