where to buy Outdoor low-light security cams

jeffx said:
I'm even tempted to take a break from working on my roof today right now (oops, I guess I'm taking a break already) to re-wire the camera to my new smart closet. I better hurry before my wife get's home and catches me :)
Or else she will have that camera logging you working on that roof! :eek:

Doh! I'm glad she doesn't frequent these forums. I'd hate for her to get that idea :)

Anyway, didn't get to rewire anything today. I have to get my roof resurfaced before the next rain.

I'm returning my Webvision4/NetGator. It was just no where as versatile as the PC solution w/ Active WebCam using the 8-chip 240 FPS DVR card.

I found someone selling the blue cards with the heat sinks on ebay and ordered one tonight HERE. Does anyone know if these will work in a 5 volt PCI slot (Dell Poweredge 800)?

jeffx said:
I found someone selling the blue cards with the heat sinks on ebay and ordered one tonight HERE.
from web page feature list:
8-port alarm outputs to connect external sensor sirens.
Alarm inputs can be assigned to any camera to start recording when triggered.
Please let me know if you receive the card as pictured and described. I think the inputs and outputs would make a nice HA tie-in. I am mad that the card I purchased got substituted and didn't have inputs/outputs, so I may attempt to return it.

electron said:
Wayne, did he get it from the same seller?
No, I purchased from a different seller than the one previously referenced. The seller's price I purchased from was $5 higher, but I was determined to get the blue card (to match my new on-order HA PC).

Jeff, as a purchaser, might you be able to determine the eBay sellers source or what brand these are? In the interest of supportability and verification, since these things seem to be flooding hte market with little to no manufacturer support.

when the card arrives I'll see what I can find out. Hopefully I'll get everything by this weekend.

Edit: Just received an e-mail from the seller that the card shipped on Thursday and should arrive next week. I received the rest of my cameras yesterday, which I hope to get set up today.

The DVR card finally arrived yesterday but i wasn't home to sign for it. I picked it up from the post office today and just took a quick look at it (installing it tonight). I did receive the blue version of the card with the heat sinks. I has a model number on it, "made in Canada" and a blank spot for a serial number. I'll post more information tonight.

Are there pin connectors on it? Is anything documented about input, outputs, alarms or sensors? I would like for HS/Elk to be aware when the camera sees motion and for HS/Elk to be able to trigger recording.

How are those $65 Intellicams working for you?

WayneW said:
Are there pin connectors on it? Is anything documented about input, outputs, alarms or sensors? I would like for HS/Elk to be aware when the camera sees motion and for HS/Elk to be able to trigger recording.

How are those $65 Intellicams working for you?
There are pin connectors on the card, nothing documented. The Intellicams are working great.

I've decided against using Active Web Cam. I just loaded tonight the Kodicom DigiNet Site 4.11 software that came with the card, and all I can say is wow. I'm getting 30 FPS on all my cameras in the all-cameras view. The quality is so much better than Active Web cam and the CPU usage is almost nothing!

This is true live viewing off all cameras at once--true 240 FPS with very low CPU usage.

I googled on the Kodicom Diginet software and found that there is a PDA client for the software, DigiNet Center PDA v.1.002, which I am attempting to locate.

Just a quick first impression of the Diginet software--there are soooo many settings, including settings for sensors and ptz and motion detection. The web access runs apache server.

I'll write a full review when I get it all set up and make it available online for preview.

deranged said:
Rupp,

This is the page I believe you are looking for,

Cameras

StevenE
Were you happy with the range on this? It notes 45' at night, I need to do the math for my property as mounting that on the second floor and pointing down may eat some of that distance.

Would you recommend it?

Mike said:
Were you happy with the range on this? It notes 45' at night, I need to do the math for my property as mounting that on the second floor and pointing down may eat some of that distance.

Would you recommend it?
I am very happy with the range (My back deck is 65' long and the light reaches from one end to the other), but wish that the width of the illuminated area was wider.

If there is one thing I learnt with these onboard IR LED's, is that my next cam won't have them. I will just get a really low lux cam, and install external IR pods. This allows you to define the range as far as you want (just install more pods), and avoid the 'halo' effect.

Here is a link to the DVR system that uses the same capture card and sofware that I purchased from eBay for $140.

http://www.netcam.com.hk/dvr_overview.htm

Kodicom DigiNet is the rated No. 1 selling DVR in the US.

I'm thinking of putting this on a dedicated PC, one of my older 500 MHz PC's as it uses so little CPU. Right now I am trying to run it on my Beyond TV PC and am having some stability issues (it was running great until I installed BTV).

Back