Wiring a switch to Elk M1 input

Smcross03

Hello All,

When adding a switch to an Elk M1 input, how do I define the input? Do I set the input as a "Zone Definition 30 - Keyswitch On/Off?"  Do I set the "Operating Description" to NC or NO? I can wire the switch as NC or NO so I guess I'm looking for the proper combination between the switch and the Elk.

Thank you,
Scott

If you are using a switch for automation purposes I would set the definition to 16=Non Alarm and the Type to 2=Normally Open

Hey Mike,
Sorry I should have been more specific. I have a push button switch that can be wired either NO or NC.  I am going to automate my irrigation and my plan is to use the switch as a manual means to turn off the automation and turn control back over the current irrigation controller.

Thanks

Hello Upstatemike,
Would I also wire the switch in a NO state as well? I'm a little confused if the Elk should be defined the same as the switch or opposite of the switch.

Thanks for you help,

Scott

Agree with Upstatemike 16 non alarm. I don't see how it would matter whether you made it NO or NC as long as you write rules that perform the desired task when you read it's state. For instance you can turn automation on when the switch is closed or you could turn the automation off when the switch is closed. I think that the "normal" condition really only makes a difference to alarm type sensors.

Mike.

I remember that with the Elk you can set the value of a variable using ekeypad or m1togo and then check that variable before  performing the automated task. The variable acts as a soft switch.

Mike.

Actually the switches that I mentioned above are often called phantom outputs. You can make an output "show" and then I believe that it can be toggled on and off remotely. I don't remember exactly how to set it up but you should find it documented in the installation manual or maybe someone else here will chime in.

Mike.

I agree with the above. For example my doorbell button is  just a simple push button that I trigger sound over the elk speakers.   It is configured as below.  You will want to wire the button the same as your defintion.   Also, fast loop response may be required if you notice delays in the response.   If you still have delays after that, you may need to move the input to  your main board as there is some additional delay added by using an M1XIN on the bus.

Code:
Definition: 16=Non-alarmType: 2 = Normally OpenFast loop response: Enabled
Code:
WHEVEVER Doorbell (Zn 11) BECOMES NOT SECURE AND Output 200 STATE IS OFF   THEN ANNOUNCE Doorbell (Zn 11)

If you use fast loop do you need to worry abut switch bounce? I've never had a problem but always wondered if there was a potential for that to be an issue?

The button is momentary and I don't think so, my primary issues were the delay between the press and response, and failure to detect on short presses and the fast loop and moving to the main board brought those down to acceptable levels.  May not be needed if delay is acceptable. I would start without them and adjust settings as necessary.

upstatemike said:
Not sure who you are asking. My switch bounce question would apply to either. 
Sorry I wasn't clear, I was replying to the OP. You guys are talking about a momentary switch and I think that the OP wants an on/off switch.

Mike.

Back