Cannot remotely access OP2 via PC Access

BobS0327

I am trying to remotely access my OP2 controller  using the dealer version of PC Access using a extern WAN IP address.  The remote access always fails with a 10060 error, Connection Timed Out.

I contacted Leviton on this issue and they suggested that I contact my networking personnel for a solution.  I took their advice and had my ISP send technicians to my house to verify that there were no networking problems.  I also had them replace my cable modem to rule out that hardware.  I also replaced my router thinking that it might be a router issue. The OP2 still cannot be reached using an external WAN IP address.

The ISP folks told me that they only block the well known ports,  22,25 etc. and that that port 4369 is definitely not blocked.  They did not find any networking problems. I also use port forwarding with a Dahua analog cctv security DVR and Blue Iris software without any problems.  To verify that the IP and port assigned to the OP2 is working, I shutdown (completely powered off the OP2) and assigned the IP and port that was being used by the OP2 to my Dahau security DVR.  Needless to say, the Dahua DVR worked without any problem.

I verified that port 4369 is closed when I used it with the OP2 but if I assign that port 4369 to my Dahua DVR, the port is open. I am using the Canyouseeme.org port verification website for my all my port testing.

I've been using the OP2 with port forwarding since it first appeared on the market (circa 2003) without any problems.  I upgraded to the flash firmware version somewhere around 2007.  External (remote) access has always worked for me until recently. Fortunately, local access to the OP2 works without any problems.  The problem only occurs  when I change the IP Address or Domain Name from a local IP to a external WAN IP and try to access  OP2.

It may be coincidental, but the problem seems to have started when I upgraded to firmware 3.14a.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Only using Win 7 firewall.  ISP doesn't use a hardware or software firewall to block ports other than the well known ports such as 22, 25 etc.  Also, I don't have any ISP software installed on any of my computers.  My ISP is pretty much a "bare bones" operation.  It's a regional company and their biggest selling point is that they don't block ports and their assigned IPs are static.  Thus, eliminating the need for services such as DynDns etc.

The problem only occurs  when I change the IP Address or Domain Name from a local IP to a external WAN IP and try to access  OP2.

Are you validating with a WAN connection or an internal to WAN and back connection?

An ISP modem has a rules set which you cannot access.  Typically only Email old ports are blocked.

The WAN (Internet) topology to your home LAN is typically like this:

ISP Modem = = > Combo Accesss Point, Switch, Firewall, Router = = > your LAN.

Nowadays many ISPs are offering a rental combo modem/AP/Switch,FIrewall and Router. 

Your ISP is using what modem? - I do not think its a modem problem.

What is the MFG / Model of your router/firewall/switch/AP?

Can you do a copy and paste of your firewall rules from the router gui?

Can you test your connection by putting the IP of the OPII in a DMZ for a minute or two?

Can you post a quickie drawing of you network, network devices, firewall, DVR, router to modem connection?

Here I tested a few OPII WAN links a few minutes ago with yougetsignal  or ipfingerprints and it showed port 4369 or whatever port I set the OPII to to be open.

What does the test show with your IP/port?

Are you validating with a WAN connection or an internal to WAN and back connection?
Tried it both ways. Used the WAN IP within home without any success. Also tried it from a Mickey Dee's wifi access which was also unsuccessful.

The WAN (Internet) topology to your home LAN is typically like this:

ISP Modem = = > Combo Accesss Point, Switch, Firewall, Router = = > your LAN.
My configuration is as follows:
ISP Modem ==> Router ==> LAN. No combo access and no switch. It's a very basic network.

Your ISP is using what modem? - I do not think its a modem problem.
Motorola cable modem Model SB6141 

What is the MFG / Model of your router/firewall/switch/AP?

Router is a

AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router

Model No. Archer C7

Can you do a copy and paste of your firewall rules from the router gui?
Copy and pasting causes my message to be posted to crash with an error "Entity too large"  So, I can't copy and paste
The router firewall rules are not enabled.

Can you post a quickie drawing of you network, network devices, firewall, DVR, router to modem connection?

The OP2 and the Dahua DVR are connected directly to the router. A patch cable is run from another router port to my office and is connected to a NetGear FS108 switch. My desktop PC and printer are connected to the switch. I have several tablets connected via wifi to network. No other devices or hardware firewalls.

Here I tested a few OPII WAN links a few minutes ago with yougetsignal  or ipfingerprints and it showed port 4369 or whatever port I set the OPII to to be open.

Yougetsignal reports that the port is closed 
ipfingerprints reports 4369/tcp filtered unknown

I have the same Motorola SB6141 modem here.

Tested 4 WAN connected OPII's and they all showed open for said port.

You also tether your phone to your pc typically with a USB cable or wirelessly for testing a WAN link.

Try for about 10 minutes to put the IP of the OPII in a DMZ which is configured in the firewall pieces of the Linksys.

Are you using the ISP address or HAI's static address
Make sure your modem, router, gateway has LOOPBACK
Work with your HAI LAN address
CW

Finally, resolved this issue.  I had been using the original LAN IP and port number 4369 since I purchased my OP2 back in 2003.   So, out of desperation, I changed both the LAN ip and port number and  I now have absolutely no problem accessing the OP2 remotely.  Works like a charm.

Initially, I only changed the port number assuming that it was a port issue which did not resolve the problem,  To reiterate, both the IP and port had to be changed to resolve problem.

Out of curiosity, I assigned the old original OP2 LAN IP address and original port number to my Dahua DVR and I have absolutely no problem  remotely connecting to my Dahua DVR.  So, I don't know what is the issue with the original IP and port number.

As a side benefit, it now seems that my Snaplink and Userlink mobile apps connect a lot faster and stay connected.  I don't experience any quirkiness with these apps anymore.

I don't know why this IP and port change resolved the problem but I'm just glad it did because I travel out of town a lot and need remote access to my OP2.

@Pete,  THANX a lot for helping me.  I've learned a lot from your assistance.  Thanx again!

Good News Bob!

Happy Easter to you today!

Here "old man tired" and all I did was watch the grandkids run around like wind up toys.  They never slowed down this afternoon; lots of enery.

Back