Using Existing Sensors on DIY System

diysentry

I moved into a house with existing window and door sensors. There is also a motion sensor. The window/door sensors are Interactive Technologies 60-362 (since I am a new member I can't post the link but a quick Google search and you can see the installation instructions). There is no panel. I assume it was removed by the local monitoring company when the previous owner moved out. 

What are my options to get this working on a self monitored DIY system?

Thanks

These sensors are compatible with the GE/Interlogix 319.5 MHz wireless system.  So you need an alarm panel that supports that system if you want to reuse the sensors.

The Elk M1 Gold, HAI/Leviton Omni Pro II, and GE/Interlogix Networx panels will work with this system.  Note that the Elk has multiple wireless options, so you need to be sure to configure it with the GE compatible receiver.

If you want just basic security functions, the Interlogix panels will do the job.  If you think you also want to be able to do home automation, then the Elk or Omni Pro are better choices (but also more expensive).

It'd help if you were able to sherlock out what the old panel was as there are both crystal and SAW versions of GE wireless and some panels only support one and not the other.

I believe SAW uses 2 AAA batteries. All the Crystal TX use 3V Lithium batteries so they have longer battery life. Crystal sensors have 2 internal reeds, so they can be mounted horizontally or vertically. They also come with a terminal block for an external contact. Crystal sensors are claimed to use a better encryption technology and the signal is supposed to carry farther.  

In any case I really wouldn't worry. Most receivers seem to work with both, at least the HAI/Leviton receiver does.

ano said:
I believe SAW uses 2 AAA batteries. All the Crystal TX use 3V Lithium batteries so they have longer battery life. Crystal sensors have 2 internal reeds, so they can be mounted horizontally or vertically. They also come with a terminal block for an external contact. Crystal sensors are claimed to use a better encryption technology and the signal is supposed to carry farther.  

In any case I really wouldn't worry. Most receivers seem to work with both, at least the HAI/Leviton receiver does.
Clarification of the misinformation:

SAW never used alkalines, except for the DIY mass-market items that were sold off in the home improvement stores and very limited at that. They were pretty huge and you can't mistake them for a normal ITI.

The RF smokes used 9V lithium (ultracell) and those were the only oddball exceptions.

Original SAW wireless used a 3.6V 1/2AA battery (same as the old iMac's) and the long life had a full AA 3.6V battery soldered on the board (advertised 10 year warranty 15-20 year anticipated life).

The later versions of the contacts used both an EOLR and CR123 3V battery.

The physical aspects of the transmitters are exactly the same. Both have dual reeds and hardwired inputs (except for the oddball special application contacts) and they learn/function the exact same way. There's no greater or less security using one over the other.

The only difference between the two is SAW has a wider frequency range variable tolerance where crystal has a tighter tolerance to the overall RF band....that's it. Crystal devices will generally work on a SAW receiver however the reverse isn't always true (tolerance of frequency). This is also why Elk offered 2 GE receivers for a short period of time until they came out with their latest version. Same reason why the GE panels specify which they support.

My guess is the OP's PN is 60-362.319.5-XXX which would be a generic GE wireless contact (or could have the NX suffix as well).

Back