120 V Hardwired Smoke to Use with Elk

There are two subjects on our forums which always prompt a LOT of 'input' and those are EOL Resistors and Smoke Detector discussions. While it is benneficial to have as much information as possible from knowledgeable members, it unfortunately can create unintended confusion. :nutz:

Everyone has their own 'comfort factor' when it comes to making decisions on how to best monitor a critical sensor such as a smoke detector. I, like my security system, like layers of 'comfort'. :icon_pai: I have seven 120 VAC powered smoke detectors in my home and recently replace the cheap, builder provided ones with combo ion and photo-electric as they were going on ten years old. I do have a GE GE350 CX replace one of those detectors though and have its contacts monitored with my security system.

The reasons I chose this method are:
  1. The combo ion and photoelectric detectors will detect both large particles (full on fire) and smaller 'smoldering' instances as well. These smoke detectors were twice the price of a single detection sensor, but again, my comfort level felt it was worth it.
  2. If one detector goes off, the others will as well as is standard with most modern 120 VAC installations. This will wake up the dead :eek: and again, was well within my 'life saving' comfort level.
  3. The monitor to the security system (contact closure via the GE 350) will send alerts to various people whenever any of the smoke detectors go off. This is WELL within my (here is that catch phrase again) 'comfort level' as this more of a property protection instead of life safety feature for me.
  4. I did not want to eliminate the seven 120 VAC detector methodology/infrastructure already provided with the home and incorporate 12 volt type models as I saw no need for this additional complexity and expense based on my above statements.

Now, I realize that this will proably prompt comments from (guess who) and that's fine as I stated above, the more information for our members the better. After all, it was pouring though this information that lead me to my decisions. B)

I chose to wire in low voltage ones from the start because my house did not have 120vac units. It only had battery operated units, two of them.

For us, we are staying here for a while (forever probably). I can service the low voltage units and I always have a can of smoke to test them out 1 or 2 times a year.

I'm going to go against my practices and say that one of the other "benefits" to using 120v smokes is if you ever sell the place and take the panel with you, there is no need to worry about the smokes not working, or retrofitting in new ones.

Ultimately, it's your house. Meet minimum code and customize it as your heart desires. As long as a fire gets people out of the house the end result is satisfied.

Back