12V Relay Help - How To Wire

Vycor

So I have a small thing im doing.

I have an alarm panel. I want 10 LED lights and 8 strobes to go off if the alarm sounds. The alarm itself is a Vista 20P and it can't handle 5amps. All of my devices when added equal about 5.15 amps.

Soo i figured id use an external 12V 5amp power box to do this. Its 120 in and outputs 12V... very standard.

So no issues there... now my issue is wiring in this relay.

I want to wire it in so that my siren output on my alarm panel goes into this relay, which will CLOSE my circuit.

Easy enough to do. I'll wire everything together and give it positive power on the power supply. Then i'll take the negative side, wire it into the relay, and the other side goes to the devices... so that when the relay gets tripped it powers up all my stuff.

Im using an Altronix RB1224 relay.

Anybody know how I wire this? Im sort of stuck. I know im supposed to give it POSITIVE and NEGATIVE constant power, but i really have no idea how im supposed to TRIP it. It has a NC and NO and C on both sides... the side above the NEGATIVE input, well that NC works, but the other side doesnt... sooo any thoughts here on how to wire it? I havnt done relays in a while.

Since you are having all of the items turn on together and they all run on 12v dc, the first step is to splice all the positive leads together and all of the negative leads together. This effectively makes all of your "stuff" one thing.

Now connect the negative lead from all the "stuff" to the negative lead on the power source.

Take the positive lead from the power source and connect to one side of the NO circuit on the relay.

Take the positive lead from the "stuff" and connect it to the other side of NO circuit on the relay.

Take the siren output from your siren and connect the two leads to the coil connections on the relay.

The result of this is that when the siren output energizes, it powers up the coil on the relay closing it. Once closed, power will flow through it to your devices and directly back to the negative on your power source.

I ended up figuring it out, thanks anyway.

The relay just had NO/NC/C for both positive and negative sides which is what threw me off.

But alls good now

I ended up figuring it out, thanks anyway.

The relay just had NO/NC/C for both positive and negative sides which is what threw me off.

But alls good now

To clarify, the relay had a Double Pole Double Throw set of contacts. You only need to wire one leg of your powered devices (positive leg) through the relay. The other set of form C contacts can be left unused or be used to switch something else.

Also you might want to step up to a 6 amp or 7 amp power supply if you want it to last.

Back