19" Rack Mount for Elk

That rack looks very nice RAKY. Very clean and professional. Where are all the wires??? hehe j/k

You did a great job on building that!

Nice Rack........

Man i never thought I would say that to a guy :D

The rack could make the wiring methods a lot easier. I bought a 14" CAN and should ahve gone with the 28". Money was tight at the time (as is the wiring now) I bought it but the $45 or so difference would have been well spent.

I have used Spanky's method many many times and find it the easiest way to work on an evolving system. If its hidden away nobody will know where it is. I guess you have to judge your entry delay and your communication with the Central Station time and see if someone can gain entry and get to the panel and defeat it. Most likely not (unless you go with a 4 minute entry delay or something like that).

Digger:

How does mounting it on plywood/rack mounting it, allow for easier future upgradeability? Would not a large can do the same thing?

I am just trying to figure out which way I should go about installing the ELK.

My "batcave" is eventually going to be hidden behind a bookcase. For now, it is going to have a door and be locked. If someone came into the house, they probably would not find the system in time to deactivate it. (At least I hope!)

Mounting it on a sheet of plywood mounted to the wall allows it to be completely open and easy to work on. With a CAN even a large one you are still limited since they are typically 14 or 15 inches wide (so they can be recess mounted between studs). The plywood could be twice that width or more so its very easy to work on and dress wires neatly and change things as time goes by.

I once bench tested a panel with everyhting mounted on plywood and then decided just to hang the plywood on the wall afterwards. Saved a lot of time. I will be doing this with 4 or 5 panels at work in a few weeks to use as test fixtures and tossing the CANS.

I might actually take mine at home out of the CAN since I already have a serial expander and the ethernet module out of the CAN since its full with other boards. You could even make a custom cabinet out of wood to any size you wanted (24 or 30 inches square) and put a door or cover on it afterwards (plexiglass would be cool as a cover now that I think about it).

The ELK M1 has the plastic backplate that makes mounting it on the plywood very easy comapred to many other panels. All of the expansion baords have mounting brackets available as well.

Just make sure its in a location where it will not get bumped into etc which in your case doesnt sound like it will be an issue. That and make sure there is no chance of water (or a CAT) getting to it.

Ask around more and get some other opinions.

I havent built mine yet but I was thinking of hanging a cabinet over mine to blend in with the room (just cut out the back)

Thanks guys,I made my rack the cheap way,made a box of plywood the same size like Middle A. and buy the front threaded rails,and all the rackmounting components,originaly i plan to buy the 19"mounting plate from Channel Plus http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail....roductId=32,but ended making my own from a piece of aluminum and painted flat-black,now i have room for my M1 and all the modules,the cables pass thru a hole inside of the plastic channels and come into my rack from the attic direct to the rear of the panel,I dont think i going to have an issue with a possible bulglar disconnecting the alarm because I plan to use a rack cover (in the up level where the alrm are) http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail....productId=34,in the botton section i'm installed the HS comp,my HT gear and have spare room for future Mainlobby-Sagetv server.
I put a lot of effort explaining my rack syst. so excuse me the redaction errors.

Javier.

Back