2 antennas connected to a W800RF32????

grpalmer

I have a W800RF32 which I use to receive various rf signals in my home. I have a detached garage, and would like my vehicle to be able to send rf signals (via homelink) to my W800RF32. The problem is that my garage is too far from my W800RF32 antenna (which is located centrally in my home). My question is:

Can you split the coax cable, and have 2 antennas connected to the splitter?

This would allow me to connect an additional antenna located in my gargage. Has anyone tried to do this? The logical solution is to simply purchase another W800RF32, but I don't have anymore ports left. I am already using 9 ports, and if I can avoid another one, it would make life a lot easier.

If anyone has done this, please let me know if it works, and what limitations there might be.

Thanks so much,

George

Since the W800RF32 is a serial "transmit only" device, you can use a pair of diodes to connect two W800RF32's outputs to one serial port input with a "Y" connection. This assumes that the majority of the time only one device is sending data at a time, otherwise data will get trampled/lost. So, if you garage is far enough from your house such that both W800RF32's don't receive the same signal, this could work for you. OTOH, if you have a lot of RF devices, then the risks of collisions are greater.

Since the W800RF32 is a serial "transmit only" device, you can use a pair of diodes to connect two W800RF32's outputs to one serial port input with a "Y" connection. This assumes that the majority of the time only one device is sending data at a time, otherwise data will get trampled/lost. So, if you garage is far enough from your house such that both W800RF32's don't receive the same signal, this could work for you. OTOH, if you have a lot of RF devices, then the risks of collisions are greater.

George,

The W800RF32 is only a receiver. I beleive it should work fine to split the coax and have two antennas.

Have you considered mounting your antenna say, in your attic? I get great range all around my house (and yard/street) so you may not need an additional antenna.

Back