27" in wall touch screen enclosure

Dogman

We are getting ready to do a master bath remodel and while I would never have thought I wanted a tv in the bathroom but we are going to put one in.  I want it to also be a touch screen for CQC so will probably get a large touch screen monitor and small mini computer or raspberry PI with a TV tuner or may just do an HD Prime.   My problem is finding a decent in wall enclosure .  I can find many touch screen monitors but havent found a decent enclosure.  Does anybody have an experience with an in wall flush enclosure for a larger screen.?

Last one I did I went from an in wall flush to a surface mounted thin LCD (touchscreen). 

I was originally going to install a larger LCD over the double sized master bathroom whirlpool tub but we only used it like 5 times in 13 years so didn't install it.

Did install a large in wall touchscreen in the living room (which we never used anyways).

Here is a picture of the last in wall LCD touchscreen (3rd revision in 13 years). It is posted on HS from a few years back.  Note that is is a bit thick and today LCD screens are thinner (along with multitouch).

inwall.jpg

The hole was already there and personally here only needed some 4" square of connectivity to the center back.  It was an openframe monitor with little clips to hold it in place on the wall.  They were so thin that I had no issues making a wood frame for it that extended out some 3/4" from the wall.  Did a regular DIN flush mount of the LCD TV in the kitchen and used a double in wall box (Arlington?) for it (HV and LV) and there was enough room in the box for an RPi2.

Here is a picture of what I used for the kitchen flush mount on DIN TV.

inwall1.jpg

Pete, 

The picture you provided of the TV / frame are what first came to mind when I saw the OP... your picture indicates the 16" OC stud placement. The OP asked about a 27" screen, which would extend past 16" OC studs. I'm not sure you could flush mount a 27" in an existing wall due to the stud placement. The only thing I was thinking was building a faux wall in front of the existing one where you could control things like stud placement. 

Another consideration is what's on the other side of the wall to be mounted to. If there's an electrical outlet or switch on the other side, you may not have the depth in the existing wall. Or possibly worse, plumbing / vent lines.... 

1st and second generation touch screens did need the space stud to stud (16" on center).

1st touchscreen was a Kodiak Kiosk (big).

The hole was already there and personally here only needed some 4" square

3rd generation didn't need the space. 

4th generation is a wide screen multi touch monitor even thinner and lighter than the pictured 3rd generation monitor.   Power, video and USB connections are less than 4" of space now.  I used long thin finishing dry wall screws with 4 screws going in to the two studs.

Guessing that an open frame 27" multi touch monitor would have similar connectivity and arranged in a similar fashion.  That said on my 36" to 42" LCD TV's the connections are close together and a bit inside of the footprint.  Here I have used right angle connectors.

Yes a faux wall made of plastic would work.  Here the kitchen nook LCD which was flush DIN mounted connected to the above pictured in wall box.  It is plastic and I ran conduit anyways to the outlet from the basement.  It was a bit tricky in the basement to drill the hole (which was larger though than standard sized metal conduit).  A three gang box maybe could work with an RPI. 

Well that and you do have to know what is in the wall.  Here I had the blue prints and all of the main floor ducting and electrical came from the basement. The next to the master bathroom tub wall was empty from what I could see from the attic.  The plumbing / heater was accessible via an access panel to one side in a walk in closet.

Personally with a 27" touchscreen I would just DIN flush mount it and use an in wall box for power and LV.  It would be cleaner looking.  They are so thin these days it would look nice.

Hmm, maybe a difference in interpretation...  but when I read the term "flush mounting" I'm taking that to mean the screen will be FLUSH with the surface of the wall. Even today's THIN LCDs/LEDs are ~1-2" thick; my drywall is 1/2" (ceilings are 5/8"). Thus, there is no way for me to mount the screen "flush" with the drywall surface without removing portions/sections of the studs... unless the screen was small enough to fit between a pair of studs. 

Understood.  Flush is flush and that is what the OP is asking about.

It became a bad term here and very low on the WAF.  (after a few holes in walls).

I do recall building cross support on the top and bottom of the very first in wall touch screen. 

The base was flush but the LCD bracket was flush but the LCD screen was about 1/4" above the drywall.

Well there was no shortage of excellent answers here :)   Yes I thinking quite flush and as was suggested the open frame touch screens are still a little over an inch.   I also want to put the power supply and the mini computer in the enclosure  as the location doesn't have  any decent places to mount the computer near by but I can get power and Ethernet there.   I planned on cutting the studs (Non load bearing wall)  and framing in for the enclosure .  I was thinking there were commercially available metal enclosures .  I found one company that does custom ones.  cost more then the touch screen! monitor.  

@Dogman

Here for my touchscreen testing (multitouch monitor) went to using a PipoX7.  This tiny computer is using an Atom Baytrail.  Comes with bluetooth, wireless and wired network.  I did velcro it to the back of the monitor.  It came with Windows 10 and I tested Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on it to work just fine.   Don't like running Kodi in Android and always have run it in Ubuntu.

You could power it via POE and it'll run circles around the RPi computer. 

Note too that none of this was wirelessly connected.  (dislike wireless for any sort of AV).

Tested KODI in W10 and Ubuntu, Alexa and Kinect Homeseer plugins with it.  New generation is same size, faster Atom CPU and 4Gb today. 

Kodi 16 (Jarvis) touch themes look nice and you can stream from HDHomerun just fine with it.  (I do that).  Recently upgraded Kodi 16 to 17 (Kryton).  Not sure if I like the default theme on  Kodi17. 

Favorite theme here is Back Row.

For the master bathroom here audio was Russound zoned to inwall 8" speakers plus via AB switch to a local MB MM receiver such that you could pipe the Kodi audio line level out if you wanted to. (more wires).  Master bedroom and master bathroom were Russound zones and sub zones of the MB AV receiver.  MB has a 5.1 configuration via MM receiver.
Front two speakers and two speakers in bathroom were AB switched between MM receiver and Russound zones.

Pete thanks for the suggestion I will check it out.   Also Dean Yes I am ok with a small bezel just didn't want the monitor to stand too far proud of the wall surface.   Again thanks for all the suggestions. 

Here was more in to sound piping to the bathroom and did utilize a small Joggler touchscreen there which does stream TV et al.

With Kodi you would have streaming living radio, streaming live TV (via HD Homerun) and whatever else on a nice touchscreen interface.

The original plan though (never did it) was to put a larger 36-42" screen over the tub in the master bathroom (which is large  - 2-3 whirlpool tub) and just use a wireless remote for it.  Thing was that we never use the tub and it takes some 30 minutes to fill it up.

Yeah we have a jacuzzi tub now and getting rid of it and just going with a nice soaking tub.  the jacuzzi tub is too loud so rarely ever gets used. and uses a ton of hot water

Back