3G/4G-capable replacement for HAI C3 Communicator?

eddy

I've learned the hard way that the HAI C3 is "2G" only because AT&T has already started sunsetting 2G in a couple areas where I have them installed.

They are connected to HAI/Leviton Omni panels which allow the user to dial-in and interact with the system via voice prompts, and also for the HAI system to dial-out and provide voice messages/alerts to standard phones. This is important because a digital-only (non-voice-capable) cellular communicator is not an acceptable replacement.

I contacted Leviton a few months ago and they do not have a 3G/4G-capable replacement for the C3 available.

So... are there any communicators out there that provide an analog POTS connection to the alarm panel for dial-in/out but communicate over 3G/4G instead of the PSTN?

Actually, no. The C3 is the equivalent of a basic digital subscriber cell in a larger box. It does not convert anything, strictly passthru.

DELInstallations said:
Actually, no. The C3 is the equivalent of a basic digital subscriber cell in a larger box. It does not convert anything, strictly passthru.
You have a different definition of "passthru" than I do then.

The C3 is the functional equivalent to an old school flip phone that allows a RJ cord to be plugged in instead of using an embedded microphone and speaker.

Remember, 2G, 3G and 4G are market buzzwords, but the real item is how the signal is handled by the network itself. 2G is digital, 3G is spread spectrum and 4G is IP based service.

If I can hook an analog butt set to the unit and create DTMF tones and hear bidirectionally, then it's 100% passthru; whatever signals and sounds I generate come out on the other end. DTMF is what POTS uses to generate the signal, followed by the talk battery function. Only thing different than POTS is it sends the signal over the cellular network (voice band). If it were being converted, it'd be the equivalent of a dialer capture based unit, which takes DTMF (or those with direct to panel bus connections, straight data) and transmit over the cellular network, usually using a data side band. If it was converting the signal, it would be on the data side band.

Something like a POTS to TCP/IP then transmitted via a 3rd party service would be converter based service.

So... are there any communicators out there that provide an analog POTS connection to the alarm panel for dial-in/out but communicate over 3G/4G instead of the PSTN?

Here always goofing around with this stuff.  Over the years purchased a couple Ericcson W25's.  Along with some other stuff here.

This morning tested an Ericcson W25 (W35) which provides a failover WAN connection or load balancing plus one telephone line. (have unlimited everything cellular service and multiple SIMs).

You can just plug you panel into the W25 and use the W25 as a spare POTs line working similiarly to the HAI C3.

Works great and as Ericcson quit making these you can get them cheap.

You can do that failover over POTs line thing easily enough.  I have an auto pots line switcher which would work with this set up giving you a failover POTs connection plus WAN connection.

I play with another device (have a few of these) that allows for two failover cellular connections or load balancing the two connections.  It's more of a mobile emergency communications device as it includes a GPS and is a wireless AP combo everything.  (it does have cellular, 802.X and GPS antennas on it and connections for external antennas).

I have also tested those cheapo Ebay combo modem devices, multiple combo (USB modem) firewalls, et al.

Been playing a bit with a modded TP-Link microrouter.  This device is plugged in to my OPII panel today.  I have tested a USB cellular wireless stick to work fine with it.  IE: here you would use either cellular or home LAN communictions to the OPII panel (you can do failover with this too).  Doesn't give you a POTs line though; but its tiny.

BTW also playing with ZTE LTE AP modems with work but do not have a pots line.  Googling found this one this morning which would work for you and can be cheap.  It is larger than the TP-Link and smaller than the Ericsson W25.

ZTE MF-608

See one on Ebay right now for ~ $22 USD.  Note that it only is a 2G/3G device.

ZTE-1.gif ZTE-2.gif

pete_c said:
Here always goofing around with this stuff.  Over the years purchased a couple Ericcson W25's.  Along with some other stuff here.

This morning tested an Ericcson W25 (W35) which provides a failover WAN connection or load balancing plus one telephone line. 

You can just plug you panel into the W25 and use the W25 as a spare POTs line working similiarly to the HAI C3.

Thank you for reporting. Now this is a contender for replacing a HAI C3. In the thread I started here I had asked for 4G for a simultaneous data/voice failover but at the end of the day I can see using a 3G device.

Does anyone have experience using the telguard tg1 express with hai omnipro II system?  Good or bad?  I am confused, do you need a sim card with the telguard?

Can't comment as to what you would buy via a reseller.

The units I would buy via common distribution come with a SIM already installed and ready to go.

The TG1 is compatible with almost any panel out there, however I would set the default comms format to be CID on the host panel and Telular.

My second HAI C3 died the other day.  (First one was replaced under warranty).  They both just stopped working (lights on, but wouldn't do anything.  I had tried unplugging the AC, the internal battery etc.

Found a replacement I'm quite happy with on Kijiji (Canada) for $20.   It's a ZTE WF720 / WF721.  I think it's still GSM so it's probably not a long-term solution but I the version I bought was for Rogers and accepted the sim card (Speakout wireless - uses Rogers network) without any problems and I'm back in business for a LOT less than I paid for the C3.

Hey guys, I hope this thread is not dead yet. I went through the topic and believes the C3 is an old technology now and I tried a XLink, but it didn't work. I currently have T-mobile sim cards with numbers sitting around. All I need is a device that can successfully convert the sim or cellphone signal to landline and allow my Omni to send out the signal to the monitor center. My Xlink BTTN can't send out the signal properly to the monitor center. It dials but I don't think it can convert the FSK through bluetooth to my Omni or the monitor center. I googled some of the devices mentioned on the forum/topic but Ericsson seems like an overkill, the ZTE MF608 is nowhere to be found, ZTE WF720 works only for AT&T. Any suggestion? much appreciated

hamster0204 said:
Hey guys, I hope this thread is not dead yet. I went through the topic and believes the C3 is an old technology now and I tried a XLink, but it didn't work. I currently have T-mobile sim cards with numbers sitting around. All I need is a device that can successfully convert the sim or cellphone signal to landline and allow my Omni to send out the signal to the monitor center. My Xlink BTTN can't send out the signal properly to the monitor center. It dials but I don't think it can convert the FSK through bluetooth to my Omni or the monitor center. I googled some of the devices mentioned on the forum/topic but Ericsson seems like an overkill, the ZTE MF608 is nowhere to be found, ZTE WF720 works only for AT&T. Any suggestion? much appreciated
Call your monitoring company, and see what they recommend for your situation. Some equipment works with the Omni, some does not. A good monitoring company should be able to guide you.

Back