6 wire phone cable

I'm trying to build a RJ11 to RJ45 cable to to power my 1 wire devices. I'm using a HA7E to interface via a serial connection.

My box of wires has 50 some odd phone cables, not a single one has 6 wires, all have 4 or 2. It seems like it would just be easier to have all devices use RJ45 connecters all the way around.

Sorry, this was just a rant more than a question.

I toss all my phone cables away as soon as I get them. Much simpler to use CAT5 for everything, I bought a box dang cheap just for that.

I toss all my phone cables away as soon as I get them. Much simpler to use CAT5 for everything, I bought a box dang cheap just for that.
I don't believe any of my phones accept an RJ45. Do yours? Doesn't that lead to confusion for people to plug a phone into a network jack and vice-versa?

It would be nice if everything used RJ45, but that would make too much sense. If you look at the spec sheet for the HA7E, you'll see that it only uses pins 3 and 4, the two center pins, as 1-wire data and ground, so you don't need all 6 wires after all. Best thing to do is to make up a custom cable, rj12(3,4) to rj45(4,5), or rj11(2,3) to rj45(4,5). Cut one end off a cat5 patch cable and crimp on an rj12 or rj11. If you want real power (5vdc, 12vdc) on the 1-wire network, you'll need a hub, power injector, or cobble something together.

HA7E spec sheet:
http://www.bitman.ca/HA7E.pdf

1-wire wiring diagram:
http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/howto_..._connecting.php

Have fun!

I don't believe any of my phones accept an RJ45. Do yours? Doesn't that lead to confusion for people to plug a phone into a network jack and vice-versa?

I use CAT5 for the wiring, but an RJ11 for the termination jack. Best of both worlds as I can just recrimp an RJ45 if need be without re-running new wiring.

There are a few business class, Non-IP, phones that use an RJ45 from Nortel and Mitel. There are probably some others too.

I missed that 3 & 4 wire thing. When I asked the HA7E for all the devices it only returns 00000000 instead of any addresses. I assumed it was because I didn't have enough power to the device. I guess I should look at the power injector then.

It would be nice if everything used RJ45, but that would make too much sense. If you look at the spec sheet for the HA7E, you'll see that it only uses pins 3 and 4, the two center pins, as 1-wire data and ground, so you don't need all 6 wires after all. Best thing to do is to make up a custom cable, rj12(3,4) to rj45(4,5), or rj11(2,3) to rj45(4,5). Cut one end off a cat5 patch cable and crimp on an rj12 or rj11. If you want real power (5vdc, 12vdc) on the 1-wire network, you'll need a hub, power injector, or cobble something together.

I use CAT5 for the wiring, but an RJ11 for the termination jack. Best of both worlds as I can just recrimp an RJ45 if need be without re-running new wiring.

yeah I set mine up kinda like that...

I bought the hobbyboards master hub....
cat 5 to a phone wall plate.... so I have cat 5 on one side and cut the other end of a cat 5 cable off and put a rj11 on it... used center 2 pins... blue and blue/white.... since it is a dual plate.. I put a ds18s20 into a rj11 plug and crimp that puppy in there.. then ran cat 5 around.... it is still only setup as a test bed but will get going with it soon!!!!!

Are you talking in-wall wiring or wall-to-phone wiring? When you said you threw away the phone cables, that implied you were talking about wall-to-phone. I find 2 conductor silver satin type wire much nicer looking and more flexible than bumpy cat5 wiring. And wires that come with a phone terminate in plugs, not jacks. :eek: Of course, I am assuming we are talking about analog residential phones here, not digital or PBX functions.

Back