A newbies question about ActiveHome Pro

I think I am going to get the Powerlinc 1132CU with the SH Plus software. I have been looking at Automated Outlet for pricing, can someone tell me the difference between the plus software and the essential software? I think at one point I read that it had to do with the number of units it could control, but I havnt been able to find that info again.

From what I have read, it doesnt look like I will need anything other than the 1132CUP and some X10 modules to get this project up and running, did I miss anything?

scubaguy699 said:
did I miss anything?
No, you didn't miss anything. But I would recommend getting a 10 amp (maybe even 15 amp) filter, and using it to isolate the power to your aquarium wall from the rest of your house. Then you can keep all of the X10 relatively noise free, except for any noise generated by the aquarium equipment (which should be very little).

Sorry, ScubaGuy, I wasn't very specific.

I will assume you have one AC circuit that powers all of your aquarium equipment. From your picture, I believe it is the romex cable coming in from the top. I would put the filter at this point. That way, noise from other appliances in the house cannot pollute your X10 environment. The controller would have to plug in to one of the outlets on that wall, such that it is on the same side of the filter as the X10 modules.

Does that make sense?

"I have been looking at Automated Outlet for pricing, can someone tell me the difference between the plus software and the essential software?"

To be clear, I use Homeseer and recommend it. The differences between essential and plus seem a little unclear:

"Smarthome Manager Plus software includes all the features of the Essential software plus these features:
Outgoing signals can be conditional on time, date, day of the week, the state of any X10 address, and more.

Set up Sequences of frequently used commands so that they can be easily copied into Timer and Event-based actions

New module automatic detection (automatically detects signals for new 2-way enabled modules)

Convenient monitoring of PLC/X10 signals on the bottom of the screen "

But from Smarthome:

"If you do not need:

2-way communication

2-way X10 monitoring

Ability to copy existing setups
Then Smarthome Manager Essential should be sufficient for your needs."

GLT

Downloadable, conditional macros and timers are the biggest difference between Essential and Plus. With the Plus software, the interface can make decisions by itself based on time of day, the state of another X10 module, a flag, or a combination of the above, all without a computer running.

I've got an 1132CUP on my wish list to introduce some redundancy. There's nothing worse for the SAF than to have the house lighting stop working because of a computer crash while you are out of town.

Back