AC? Maybe? Hopefully? Doubt it!

bjl

I am currently installing a geo hvac system at my house. I built a control panel to house a few relays and circuit breakers for the circulation system. I have, let's just say inadvertently, purchased the elk 924 and the elk 960 to run the system along with a third ssr. This setup would have worked great with my m1 gold when I set up the automation system. I was simply going to tie into the 24v to contacts on the unit. The problem is that the 24v on the unit is ac along with the lwc (low water control). The control on the elk units are 12/24vdc. I know, just get a power inverter from 24vac to 24vdc. The triggers are also dc while my thermostat is ac. So it would need a power inverter to power the elk units then another to convert the trigger sygnal. Oh yea, I have a twin system so double everything. The 3 circulating pumps will draw at most .4 amps each and normal operation .17 amps.
My biggest (dumbest) question is, are these capable of operating on 24vac or can they be triggered by 24vac?
What would you do? Get power inverters? which will burn more electricity to operate, or find the proper relays for the job? I think I just answered my 2nd question.

Did the same thing a few weeks back, in that I bought DC relays when needed AC. I had much simpler needs, so just grabbed a RIB (Relay in a Box) unit and chugged on. For the price, they're hard to beat. Others may have better ideas...

Just realized I put this in a subtopic. Going to repost in the general section. Thanks for the comment madc.

Back