Accessing ELK M1 and MAC OS X

v1rtu0s1ty

I've lost access to my ELK M1 for 2 years now. It's still running solid. :)

I've got a new mac os x machine but it doesn't have a serial port. Is anyone here using a usb to serial? Or how do you access it?

Do you have the XEP for ethernet? And are you trying to program via RP or just use RMS?

I have posted before that I have been extremely pleased with this USB to Serial adapter:
Aluratek USB to Serial (DB9) Adapter (AUS100)

I've literally bought probably 30 of them - bought them for all my techs and used them on all my computers - Mac, XP/Vista/7, x32/x64, Server 2003-2008/R2/2012, you name it - never had a single issue; and have a couple full-time connected to my Home Automation PC and they work great.

Re: the mac - I run VirtualBox which is free and does the job - and at one point I even got ElkRMS running inside WINE and documented it somewhere around here on cocoontech - it was much simpler than I expected and worked great.  I didn't try with RP2 though because of more moving parts and I have plenty of PC's around anyway.

My memory tells me that the program I used before was RP. I'm not sure if I still have the cd. It's been 7 years now. I hope it's downloadable. I'll check the USB to serial you posted above.

I don't have the Ethernet module. It's too expensive for me.

So once we connect our Elk M1 to our mac via that cable, what will our Windows OS running inside a vm see? Will it see it as a serial/com port?

Just read from one of the comments in amazon review. It comes with a cd which contains the device drivers :)

To answer a couple things - if you have a login to the Elk website, then you can download RP easily.  If you don't, be sure to plan ahead and contact them to get a login - they'll want your serial number if I believe.  I mention this now because too many people try to wrap things up over the weekend only to find that their elk account won't get activated until monday.  RP is the programming software you're looking for.

There is a CD that comes with that device although newer versions of windows don't need it - they have the driver built in.  You will want to use the USB PAss Through feature of whatever virtualization software you use to assign that device to the VM, not set it for use on the Mac - although thinking as I type, I guess you can probably pass through the serial port instead once the driver is loaded on the mac - one of the two ways will work; not sure which will be best.

Having that XEP takes the Elk to a whole new level - access from your smartphone, access from any computer in the house, etc - it's money very well spent - it unlocks all the best features of the M1.  Before I had it I would tell people about my smarthome but it never quite had the same impact as showing them real-time status on my phone and letting them see how I can open my garage, set the temperature, turn on sprinklers, etc - not to mention, it's saved my bacon a few times in other ways having that remote access.

+1 on Work2play's advice, but some additional emphasis on contacting Elk Products TODAY if you want to work on this over the weekend. They're a very good company but I've had some past trouble getting my login and pw set up so that I could download RP2 software, firmware upgrades, etc. They may have things worked out now but a few months back I had to get my old login (from old support site) set up on their newer site and it took a couple of attempts. But once you're registered as an owner and have your login info working, it's all free and works well. Just be sure to try out an actual login ASAP after receiving your info, to make sure it all works. Very frustrating if it doesn't, and nothing can be done until Monday...

And re: the XEP, no question - makes a world of difference. Not the most sophisticated interface and probably due for an upgrade, but it's the only one Elk makes and none of us have heard of a replacement coming any time soon that I know of, so I'd definitely add one.

Thanks folks! I'll have to save up some money first for the XEP module. What I did before is connect a linux by my M1 via serial. On my linux, I wrote a simple php program that can send command to the M1.

I've also done serial over tcp/ip in linux. I used a software for Windows that decapsulates serial packet over tcp/ip. I forgot the tool but should be easily be found by google. I was able to connect my RP software to the M1 in the basement via ethernet. RP sees the virtual com port which if I remember correctly was at COM9. However, it wasn't stable. I'll have to retry it again sometime.

I'll work on the login today. :)

Back