ACT X10 Phase Coupler

htsource

Hi,

Since I was having some issues with x10 switches, I plugged in my ELK x10 meter to test for signal strength. It seems like half of the circuits I plugged into, the signal is at 5V, when I plugged it into some other ones, I was only getting 1V.

I have the ACT x10 phase coupler/repeater installed so it should amplify the other phase? Now the question is, I was looking at the panel and the coupler is installed to a 30-amp circuit, but on the label, it says fridge and dishwasher? Should it be installed to the stove? Or any 30-amp circuit will do?

The electrician installed it for me, but I wasn't around. I told him to install on a 30-amp circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Since I was having some issues with x10 switches, I plugged in my ELK x10 meter to test for signal strength. It seems like half of the circuits I plugged into, the signal is at 5V, when I plugged it into some other ones, I was only getting 1V.

I have the ACT x10 phase coupler/repeater installed so it should amplify the other phase? Now the question is, I was looking at the panel and the coupler is installed to a 30-amp circuit, but on the label, it says fridge and dishwasher? Should it be installed to the stove? Or any 30-amp circuit will do?

The electrician installed it for me, but I wasn't around. I told him to install on a 30-amp circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that it should be installed on two phases. It should have two black wires coming out and each of those should go to one phase. If you install it on a 220V breaker (like an electric stove) then one black wire should go to each side of the circuit breaker. If it's installed on a 110V breaker, then you'll need to use two 110V breakers on different phases and one wire would go to each breaker (although this is not an ideal installation, because it's concievable that it could allow voltage to leak from one circuit to the other, so it's possible that someone could get a shock if they turned off one breaker, but not the other.

The 'easy' test to see if you could use a phase coupler is to turn on an electric drier or electric stove and see if the signal strength improves. You could use the same test, and if your signal strength does improve then it's likely that your phase coupler is not installed correctly.

HTH,
Brett

If it is a newer ACT CR134 or CR234 there should be a Black; Blue and White wire. The Three phase CR134 would also have a Red wire caped off.
If it is the older versions with a termination block A B N and optional C if the CR134.

Black or A go to one phase
Blue or B to the other phase
White or N go to the Neutral power buss
The CR134 can be set to split or three phase. In your setup C or Red should be not connected and switch 4 would be ON. If it was a CR134.
I wonder if maybe the Electrician was not 100% clear on how to connect it.

Thank you guys, I'll see if I can take the panel off. My ACT coupler is few years old so not sure which version I have, but pretty sure it's the single phase model.

If it has been working for a few years. One of the outputs may have failed or maybe you added a new device to the house that is a signal sucker.
I had my Phase B output on a CR234 start being intermittent. New one was a CR134 that can be set to split or three phase.

I had two of these Act10 units give up the ghost during hot weather in my garage. I also was disappointed in its signal boost level.

I switched to the X-10 Pro unit and also re-routed some wiring so it resides in my laundry room which is air conditioned. I also noticed higher signal levels with this unit over the Act10.

In my case, it was working great at the old house. With the new house, I'm now suspecting it's the wiring problem. Will take off the panel soon to take some pictures. Mine is installed in the basement next to the panel so it's nice and cool. I was told all residential panels are single phase? I know the old house we had 125-amp service, this new house is 200-amp.

Back