Active WebCam question

Thickman

I have a question about how to setup Active Webcam for motion detection. See the attached picture it's only showing 6% motion when walking right in front of the camera. Active Webcam is set to 99% on the sensitivity. If someone is walking in the street it will not capture them but if a car drives by in either direction it will but at only 2% sensitivity. I had an X10 camera before this one and it would pick up the neighbors across the street in the driveway set at 99%. This is the camera but with a sony CCD.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/g4sh18dn420.html

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Terry

Attachments

• webcam007.jpg
    webcam007.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 18
Terry: Not sure what the question here is. Basically, the image you show indicates that the person walking past the camera has modified 6% of the pixels during the sample taken. If you say a car in the steet shows 2%, that means the car has modified 2% of the pixels during the sample taken. Setting the motion sensitivity to 99% in AWC means that it will pretty much be recording (or do whatever you have setup when motion is triggered) all the time because you're telling it that if 1% of the pixels are modified, then record. So, in both your cases (6% and 2%), it should be trigering.

I thought that a person walking in the street would cause a trigger but it's not. The old X10 camera would but the new camera doesn't both using Active webcam. Active webcam doesn't pick up a person walking until they're half way up the driveway. The interface to the computer is a X10 USB adapter would a capture card work better?

Thanks,
Terry

Does Active WebCam have an option to detect both "positive" and "negative" captures? Maybe that would help (I am really not an expert on this one! ;) ).

Good point BSR. Yes, AWC does have positive and negative motion detection. It's possible that Terry has it the wrong way.

Terry: Check your settings under 'Define Motion Area' > 'Exclude selected cell (cells) from the motion detection' / 'Detect motion in the selected cell (cells)'. Make sure you have the right one selected. Or try 'All cells on'.

I checked and its set with all cells on to detect motion. I guess the camera just isn't sensitivity enough to pickup a person walking in the street. Is this only a camera function or could it be the X10 USB dongle. Would a camera card work better? I'm only getting 9 frames per second in 320x240.

Thanks,
Terry

Doesn't sound like it's a camera issue. If you can see the person walking, then the camera is picking it up. If you're only getting a few frames per second from your capture device, that's likely to be the problem. 9 frames per second might not be enough to trigger. In AWC, try different values for the 'Check motion every' setting. I think the default is 0.5 seconds. Try a few other settings and see what happens. If that gets you nowhere, you might try a true capture card.

I'll be nonest with you... Even if you get the detection working, you may not be happy with the results. I used to use AWC's motion detection to record video, but it had so many false triggers (caused by shadows, etc.) that I ended up installing a motion sensor near the camera and let that start/stop recording through HS events.

Back