Adding Cellular to Elk M1

I didnt want to highjack this thread earlier but since you seen to be getting your cable issue resolved I have some related questions.

1. Are you using this as a backup or replacment to the ABN network monitor?

2. Is the uplink a cellular model that 'dials' out or is it using a cellular data connection that is always on.
I come from an alarm.com alarm which had a GSM data modem built in so I got all sorts of instant updates.

3. What are the extra charges to do this? Are you paying next alarm extra? What about a cellular provider

>>1. Are you using this as a backup or replacment to the ABN network monitor?

I currently use a normal phone line. My plan is to make the uplink primary.

>>2. Is the uplink a cellular model that 'dials' out or is it using a cellular data connection that is always on. I come from an alarm.com alarm which had a GSM data modem built in so I got all sorts of instant updates.

Based on what I read I believe it has an always on connection via data and if you go through nextalarm there is no limit to the number of messages.

>>3. What are the extra charges to do this? Are you paying next alarm extra? What about a cellular provider

I use nextalarm right now. On their web site is says there is a $7 charge to use uplink. Based on other reading I've done I'm assuming that is the only cost I incur. The cell network costs are paid for with that fee.

FWIW, I received my new XSP today and got a surprise...

The cable packed with the XSP now has the Anynet 6-pin flat locking connector pre-installed on the non-DB-9 end of the cable!!

So now I have some extra connectors and pins, but also don't have to make the end.

Back