Air Traffic Conversations

I'm getting flying lessons too. Tomorrow is the final flight with the chief instructor before I go for the for the check ride...

For the last few flights, instructors just had little comments, no show stopper, so I should be fine.

Flying on C172 here. I'll probably try the C152 sometime in the future.

If I had not played that much video games when I was young, I'd be a professionnal pilot by now: my eyes are too weak to meet the requirements. In my days, laser surgery was not an option that could be trusted. I ended up as an electrical engineer that has to pay to fly. Kind of reverse of what I wanted, but it's ok. And I don't know if I was I pilot if I'd be that much into HA. :)

Ok, One more I remembered :D Even with all the pilots, instructors and students in here, I will explain for the rest.

To put it simply. When you are flying there are airways to guide you. They are A=Alpha b=Bravo C=Charlie d=Delta E=Echo =G=Golf H=Hotel ect ect..

So when the Tower asks "Do you have BRAVO" it means that airway.

Ok...............

A student was flying into an airport when the following conversation occured:

Tower: Cessna 23F, do you have Hotel, Over.

Student: Negative we are'nt staying the night.

(Moment of silence Before radio traffic resumed)

Approach, this is United 237 Heavy, requesting clearance to land...... and we don't have a Hotel either!

Suposedly the Hotel comments went on for another 15 minutes or so :p

But This By FAR has to be my alltime Favorite!

Lost student pilot: "Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, Please identify yourself."

Wow, lots of pilots and pilot wannabes here. Make sure you guys take plenty of pictures and video of your flights.

Now for the real question. Who is going to be the first person to turn their lights on from FL35 while flying their C172?

For those of you reading ground school books or that need refreshers, check out this cool sight with very nice flash video tutorials for PPs.
http://faa-ground-school.com/

I got my PP about 2 years ago. Fly just for fun and travel, but like an earlier poster, my plane and FBO selection is horrible. We mainly have Piper Warriors and C172/152's here. The Warrior was fun to get into as I learned on a high wing 152, but it's pretty slow. I'd love to have access to a Cirrus SR20 or something a little more up-to-date.

I've always wanted to do a long cross country...like across a couple states, for a vacation, but without my IFR I'm alittle hesitant.

--Jamie

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wanted to see how the people who were learning to fly are doing. I hope that you have all stuck with it and obtained those ratings. Flying is one of the best feelings that I have ever experienced and I am proud to say that it is what I do for a living.

I just joined the website since I have a lot of time on my hands lately. I'm over in Tokyo in groundschool for the 767-300ER for ANA. They are one of the two big airlines in Japan. I was flying for NetJets in the U.S. but was furloughed earlier this year. This is one of the few jobs that were available and I was lucky enough to get hired on. The training for this is about 7 months long, just a bit longer than the month long training courses in the U.S. That is why I have all the free time. They really don't overload you with training days.

As someone else said, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I learned to fly in the 1980's. Only flew a C172 once; always a C152. When my children were born I quit.

Remember an older pilot telling me that in the 60's the instructors would do a deliberate stall start a spin and you were required to get out of spin and level plane. In the 80's it was just getting out of a stall. Once of the runways at the local airport was just a farmers field (pretty level).

I learned in the 90's and for the private and commercial rating it was just recovering from a stall. For the Instructor ratings you had to recover from a spin and a stall. Who knows what it is now. I think now days they teach too much GPS navigation and not enough pilotage. For those that don't know, pilotage is where you have your map, clock, and your eyes and you keep track of your position by following along with your ground position.

I remember first time my instructor put the blinds up and told me to fly with instrumentation only. Initially I refused but then conceded. Think it was more in my head. Remember also touch and goes for hours it seemed.

I learned in the 90's and for the private and commercial rating it was just recovering from a stall. For the Instructor ratings you had to recover from a spin and a stall. Who knows what it is now. I think now days they teach too much GPS navigation and not enough pilotage. For those that don't know, pilotage is where you have your map, clock, and your eyes and you keep track of your position by following along with your ground position.

Agreed! Current training focuses way too much on tech toys. I'm back doing a little teaching again and am really trying to hammer students on the basics like pilotage.

In the 80's I don't recall the C152 even having a GPS. The C152 was pretty stripped down. Most of the initial concentration was the pre-flight check list. (mechanical etc). Navigation was basically learning all the landmarks in the vicinity. Watertowers and major expressways in the area were my points of references. I was taking many pictures then and remember almost dropping my camera one time taking pictures of my home.

I have not flown for 35 years, got married.
But one of my best training flights was from Ft Lauderdale to Silver Springs and return. My instructor, his girlfriend and a friend of mine went for dinner to the girlfriends mother's home in Ocala. For the return flight, my instructor took the back seat with his girlfriend (ahem), instructed me to fly east until the city lights ran out (the Atlantic coast), and follow the coast south to Lauderdale.
Fifteen minutes or so later, the ground below me lit up with what seemed like hundreds of high power strobe lights. That brought my instructor out of his trance pretty quickly as we had just made a major invasion into the Kennedy Space Center airspace !

Sonny

For those that don't know, pilotage is where you have your map, clock, and your eyes and you keep track of your position by following along with your ground position.

Reminds me of Earnest Gann's definition of IFR: "I Follow Railroads". B)

Back in the 1980'a instrumentation was kind of primitive; guess it was a very stripped down training C152 that I was learning in. It was kind of like flying a VW with the windshield very close to your face. Only used pilotage - I felt very comfortable learning landmarks - night time for me was a different story.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wanted to see how the people who were learning to fly are doing. I hope that you have all stuck with it and obtained those ratings. Flying is one of the best feelings that I have ever experienced and I am proud to say that it is what I do for a living.

I just joined the website since I have a lot of time on my hands lately. I'm over in Tokyo in groundschool for the 767-300ER for ANA. They are one of the two big airlines in Japan. I was flying for NetJets in the U.S. but was furloughed earlier this year. This is one of the few jobs that were available and I was lucky enough to get hired on. The training for this is about 7 months long, just a bit longer than the month long training courses in the U.S. That is why I have all the free time. They really don't overload you with training days.

As someone else said, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

wow..they are still training new pilots on the 767's..i thought 767's were on their way out...

All i know if they are biatch from a cargo handling point of view because they take bellow ULD pallet 90 degree different from all the other planes. I design baggage system and air cargo terminals for a living and one of the first questions we ask for a cargo terminal is whether it will need to handle 767 traffic...i so then we're in for a long hard project.

man..7 months of training for an established pilot just to get the type rating sounds like a lot..no wonder you have some downtime...haha.

So will you be living in Japan?

I have my PPL but haven't flow in years except for 1 hour a few months back which felt strange. A lot of it comes back fast..and if you had to you could probably do it all by yourself...but it sure is nice to have a guy next to you that knows what he is doing.

My flight school was part of the university and had a pro-pilot program, i wans't in that program but got my license from that school anyway since it was quite cheap.

Our fleet was all 152's and 172's. I only flew 152's which had no GPS, 1 VOR and 1 DME and 1 radio. More than once did i have a radio failure and would just land it at our home field (which was uncontrolled space). The maintenance guys told me to just hit it if it didnt work...generally this fixed it about 3/4 of the time.

We had 15 152's and probaly 200 students or so...always someting going on. One of our students had a broken radio and landed it at Nashville International without talking to the tower (or following the normal 'no radio' procedure) and then proceeded to taxi to the concourse and parked it next to a 757. This was shortly after 9/11 and was not very well received by the airport security people....

On my checkride i had a near mid air collision. I was on 'base' and some ass came in high speed out of nowhere and called a 'final' and wooshed right in front of us (uncontrolled field again). The former airforce colonel that was doing my checkride ripped him a new one of the radio and then gave me my license.

Never a dull moment. The first solo is probably one of the best feelings ever...and if your training was right you're ready for it. Mine was the same as others...did a few touch and go's with the instruction and all of a sudden during taxi he said to stop and he jumped out and told me to do 3 take-ofs and landings. Then ofcourse i lost my shirt as tradition requires....

Back