Air Traffic Conversations

I haven't been flying in quite a while but this brings back some great memories. Most of my flying was in open cockpit homebuilt tail draggers ("Experimental" not ultralight) with no radios (heck, not even an electrical system. Hand started 'em). Got into it with my dad when I was in Jr. High. Lots of fun. He took it to Oshkosh one year. He wasn't that familiar with the area so he asked if I wanted to fly it out. I jumped at the chance! No radio departures were interesting... First a briefing for all the pilots for no radio departures, then just get in line. When you get waved onto the runway just line it up and go as quickly as possible. Then fly straight out until you are clear of the area.

I did my student flying in Cessnas mostly off military bases since I was in the Navy at the time. Interesting mixing in with the big boys. They had priority of course but I don't remember it being an issue as most of the times I remember the traffic was pretty light. We wouldn't shoot landings there - just get out and go to some smaller airport for that. In the Philippines we would do our cross countries to another military base or shoot landings at a grass field in the middle of nowhere - had to keep an eye out for people and animals on the runway there. The bases aren't there now...

Grew up in Oregon. The antique aircraft group there had an "air tour" in the summers. People would fly their planes from little town to little town kind of like in the olden days of barnstormers and camp at the airports. Lived and breathed airplanes for the week. What a blast!

Sold off the the last of the plane stuff a number of years ago. Just a matter of too many fun, interesting things to do and making a living, etc. Also easy to get TOO engrossed in avaition - try to avoid AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) B)

There is even a picture of dad's plane on the net from when we were going to fly ins and camping out:
http://www.1000aircraftphotos.com/AmateurBuilt/Apac1.htm
Interesting to note that I had NOTHING to do with this picture.

There is a picture of my old plane (Bowers Flybaby) somewhere out there too but can't find it at the moment...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_Fly_Baby

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I wanted to see how the people who were learning to fly are doing. I hope that you have all stuck with it and obtained those ratings. Flying is one of the best feelings that I have ever experienced and I am proud to say that it is what I do for a living.

I just joined the website since I have a lot of time on my hands lately. I'm over in Tokyo in groundschool for the 767-300ER for ANA. They are one of the two big airlines in Japan. I was flying for NetJets in the U.S. but was furloughed earlier this year. This is one of the few jobs that were available and I was lucky enough to get hired on. The training for this is about 7 months long, just a bit longer than the month long training courses in the U.S. That is why I have all the free time. They really don't overload you with training days.

As someone else said, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

wow..they are still training new pilots on the 767's..i thought 767's were on their way out...

All i know if they are biatch from a cargo handling point of view because they take bellow ULD pallet 90 degree different from all the other planes. I design baggage system and air cargo terminals for a living and one of the first questions we ask for a cargo terminal is whether it will need to handle 767 traffic...i so then we're in for a long hard project.

man..7 months of training for an established pilot just to get the type rating sounds like a lot..no wonder you have some downtime...haha.

So will you be living in Japan?

Just in Japan for the training. Then I come over each month for 20 days and home for 10. It is going to be rough with that many time zone changes. I'm on a 5 year contract so hopefully I'll survive it for that long. Then hopefully the job market for pilots in the states will be better than it is now.

The 76's will be around for a quite a while yet. It is a good airplane that does it's job very well. We do have several cargo birds as well. I haven't been on one yet but am looking forward to it.

Back