Alarming Sliders and outside gates.

programmergeek

Besides putting 2 sensors in sliding windows or one in the center you can see has anyone else come up with a creative way to alarm them?

Also I have 2 outside gates to alarm, these are basic pressure treated wood gates that are on the flimsey side any advice or would it be better to just use a IR beam or something else. I have never had to alarm something outdoors in the elements.

Not to steal the question - just to add to it.

As with the windows how would I install a sensor on a sliding door with three panels. The doors are also pocket doors.

For the gate, I just used a cheap wired magnetic sensor. Is that not an option?

For the gate, I wouldn't use anything. Unless you can find a magnetic contact with a wide gap of 10", insert "no way" here, I think you are inviting false alarms.

Besides putting 2 sensors in sliding windows or one in the center you can see has anyone else come up with a creative way to alarm them?

Also I have 2 outside gates to alarm, these are basic pressure treated wood gates that are on the flimsey side any advice or would it be better to just use a IR beam or something else. I have never had to alarm something outdoors in the elements.

Do you think the gate will wobble more than 2 3/8"? If not, how about using a Overhead grarage door contact? They are heavy duty, and should stand up pretty well to the outside elements.

Rod

The gate may woble a inch or so but it is not for an alarm more an message that someone is in the back yard. I could use regular magnetic but they wouldn't look to good on there and you could bypass them easy also not sure how they would hold up outdoors.

If you are worried that someone would take the time to bypass a switched gate then maybe you need a better gate that could truly be alarmed rather than just monitored.

true, you could just jump the gate. Trouble with IR is is a leaf blows through it. maybe a pet immune motion outdoors, do they make anything? I'm thinking a outdoor megitic switch will be the best thing.

You could use a Sentrol Magna Pull gate switch. It has 12" extension from the switch incased in metal flex. It's a 4" plastic cylinder peice with a cap that has a thin plate of metal. With that is a 4" sleeve with a magnet in side. You slide the 4" plastic cylinder in the sleeve it will stay held up with the magnet along with closing the reed switch inside. As for the splice just get a single gang EMT or PVC box and plate. Run both wires inside the mounted box and with a simple surface mount reed switch, series it in with the Switch. Then Place the magnet on the plate mounted on the BOX and switch on the iside lined up then mount the plate on the box. Now you have a tampered splice.

Back