ALC Lighting Poll

Steve

This poll is only for those of you that have either already installed ALC lighting or are actively working on an install and have some actual experience with it. If you are just thinking about it, regardless of how much you read or what your personal opinion might be, please don't vote.

Additional feedback requested:

Is the color of the LED on the LED models green?

Have you used the configuration software, and what do you think of it?

What don't you like about the system and what would you want to improve or feature(s) to add?

If you also used or had experience with UPB, besides the obvious difference in the hard control wire, how would you compare the system to UPB? Is the software as useful as UpStart, etc.

If any of you have any pictures of the switch, especially with the LED, please post some if you can.

Don't forget you can get switches with or without the LED. Number20 says most get it without the LED. I personally can see getting a LED switch for the main lighting load in a multi gang box, or somewhere like a hallway where you might have to turn the light on in the dark. The LED comes on when the switch is OFF. So it can help a person find the switch in the dark or when there are several switches together.

If either of those ideas don't appeal to you, then I would simply get switches without LEDs.

Bump. There has to be at least 8 more of you lurking out there. Please take a few seconds to vote if you are using ALC lighting.

Bump. There has to be at least 8 more of you lurking out there. Please take a few seconds to vote if you are using ALC lighting.

I just think the few of us make a lot of noise, so it seems like there's more. ;)

Well you guys are noisy! My wiring is all in place, I'll be ordering enhanced hubs, switches etc within the month. Currently I have one switch for testing and I'm in the process of modding the LED (change from green to blue). I'll let you know how that goes.

CB

I got all non-LED switches (though I can see an LED in there that goes on/off with the load), but now I'm wondering: how do the LEDs work on the LED versions?

On all the time?
On only when the switch is off?
Other?

I got all non-LED switches (though I can see an LED in there that goes on/off with the load), but now I'm wondering: how do the LEDs work on the LED versions?

On all the time?
On only when the switch is off?
Other?
I believe it is a simple LED on when load is off, and LED off when load is on.

I just think the few of us make a lot of noise, so it seems like there's more. :)

Well you guys are noisy! My wiring is all in place, I'll be ordering enhanced hubs, switches etc within the month. Currently I have one switch for testing and I'm in the process of modding the LED (change from green to blue). I'll let you know how that goes.

CB
I don't know if I could do that to brand new switches, but a cool idea, take some pics and post a mini how to...

Ok, so especially if you answer NO to the 'Are you satisfied' question, could you PLEASE reply here with some commentary as to why you feel that way? It would help those of us trying to decide alot.

This poll is only for those of you that have either already installed ALC lighting or are actively working on an install and have some actual experience with it. If you are just thinking about it, regardless of how much you read or what your personal opinion might be, please don't vote.

Additional feedback requested:

Is the color of the LED on the LED models green?

Have you used the configuration software, and what do you think of it?

What don't you like about the system and what would you want to improve or feature(s) to add?

If you also used or had experience with UPB, besides the obvious difference in the hard control wire, how would you compare the system to UPB? Is the software as useful as UpStart, etc.

If any of you have any pictures of the switch, especially with the LED, please post some if you can.

It looks like I'm in the minority here having both 7+ years (pre-OnQ) and UPB.

* ALC for 7 years
* Started with much older interfaces/modules and custom Linux code
* Using current LMM, remote hubs, 3 branches, etc.
* Integrated to Elk M1
* 11 Switches, mixture of dimmer and relay
* 5 more to install (wire run, time...)
* 2 4-button scene switches
* Branch and Scenetech Software
* Lost 1 LMM and 2 switches to a power surge
* HR wiring to main control box (br 1) or remote hubs (br2/3)

* UPB for about a year
* 3 switches (2 Universal, one dual-rocker)
* 1 Lamp module
* 4 more to install and 1 inline module
* Elk Integration
* Upstart

This is a retro-fit in a 3600sq foot house built in 1971. Multiple electrical panels, aluminum wiring, metal J-boxes.

My preference is hard-wired but not having ALC outlets and not being able to get wire to some places I needed it made me look at UPB.

Your questions first:

LED's. My switches are older and don't have them, but the scene switches do. Green. These are in
family rooms and I can't honestly say I've ever noticed them until I read this and had to look.
They aren't bright enough to be used to locate the switches in the dark.

Calling the OnQ software "configuration" software, next to UPB, may be pushing it. That is
probably my biggest complaint with ALC because you don't have the programming flexibility short
of actually implementing it yourself. However, with the newer LMM you can create basic scene
groups for "state" but you don't have anything close to the toggle/multi-use function buttons
UPB does.

As far as improvements:

* Better LMM. If you can do it on UPB, you could do it with a sufficiently advanced LMM for
links, toggles, fade rates, etc because of the switches' program/sample/notify of changes
protocol implementation. You would also get the advantage in scene changes that the
switches report their new settings (UPB won't do this without polling!). I had this on my
older system (tap, double tap, patterns) but haven't dealt with it after Elk.

* Replacable face plates. These may actually be available now (setnetpro?) but I tried to swap
some out 2 years ago and was basically told it was cheaper to buy new switches!

* Height/Width/Depth of switches - this goes back to metal j-boxes - I've had to replace a number
of boxes because switches don't fit. UPB has the same issue.

* Quick-connect for LV wiring. Both to make changing switches easier and let be
daisy-chain them in a box w/o hard wiring each one. It could also allow for pulling the wire
"connect" wire into the box instead of over.

* ALC Outlet and Inline relay modules

* FIX ELK. This isn't an ALC issue, but 4 "changes" back-to-back is the limit Elk can take
before it confusues status-reports with commands and starts re-issuing commands back to
switches (Scenes with >4 targets don't work!)

I think through this I've answered some of your UPB questions, but Upstart rocks compared
with ALC. After having ALC I don't like the PLC delays, but am learning to deal with them.
Another key "issue" on UPB is concurrent changes. If I tap both switches off in my son's
room (overhead, link to lamp) then only 1 gets sent and the other is dropped. Flip a coin.

Alas, the embedded controller to implement a new LMM and to the Elk integration is sitting
on the shelf with all the switches I still need to install. Some are just time, some need
boxes replaced first. I have one 4-way that is split between the 2 panels that I just
don't want to touch (hot from front panel, neutral from rear).

If I can answer anything else, feel free to ask.

Jay

Jay - I tried google, but failed - what's LMM? Local Monitoring Module?

Have you used a recent version of the ALC SceneTech software? Or is it redundant with the Elk?

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Hey Steve here are a couple of pics of the LED on the switches. This one in particular is a 600W dimmer which I swapped a blue LED for the green. Very difficult to photograph without washing the LED color out....

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 28
  • blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 33
Back