ALC Lighting Replacement

VectorAndy

I currently have an ALC lighting system as part of the OnQ HMS1200 based system we installed in our house about 6 years ago. We have had a couple "events" over the years that have taken out the low voltage side of my switches, and I'm tired of replacing them.
I have a batch of units to replace right now, and I am considering phasing out the ALC lighting for something else. My first look is at the HLC system, but I can't figure out from the literature if I can use the scene swtiches to operate like I currently have. For instance, a button on on scene switch in my bedroom takes the Alarm system out of Night mode, and turns on a couple of lights in the hallway and kitchen so I can see in the mornings. A button on a scene switch in the hallway sets lighting levels for things all over the house for parties. In other words, they may not control lights in the same "room" or they may not control lights at all.
Can HLC scene switches be used just to trigger macros in the controller?

btw. I've upgraded my firmware in the HMS1200 to the HAI OmniPro II V3.4

I currently have an ALC lighting system as part of the OnQ HMS1200 based system we installed in our house about 6 years ago. We have had a couple "events" over the years that have taken out the low voltage side of my switches, and I'm tired of replacing them.
I have a batch of units to replace right now, and I am considering phasing out the ALC lighting for something else. My first look is at the HLC system, but I can't figure out from the literature if I can use the scene swtiches to operate like I currently have. For instance, a button on on scene switch in my bedroom takes the Alarm system out of Night mode, and turns on a couple of lights in the hallway and kitchen so I can see in the mornings. A button on a scene switch in the hallway sets lighting levels for things all over the house for parties. In other words, they may not control lights in the same "room" or they may not control lights at all.
Can HLC scene switches be used just to trigger macros in the controller?

btw. I've upgraded my firmware in the HMS1200 to the HAI OmniPro II V3.4

I am no expert as I am just starting to look at UPB/HLC. However, I am pretty sure you can setup "links" for each button on a scene switch and have it do what you are looking to do.

What is causing you to drop ALC? The stagnation? Increased cost?

I am no expert as I am just starting to look at UPB/HLC. However, I am pretty sure you can setup "links" for each button on a scene switch and have it do what you are looking to do.

What is causing you to drop ALC? The stagnation? Increased cost?

I think the leading reason that I'm looking to change over is the repeated failures. One batch I can attribute to lightning. But I've had other switches just stop communicating. I don't know what caused my current batch to go bad, but I'm looking at replacing several scene switches, and dimmers. Add those to the others that I have not gotten around to replacing, and maybe its time for a change. Also, mt sheet rock crew didn't do me any favors on the initial install. First they cut through several of my LV wires with their routers, and after I pointed it out and asked them to be careful, they started leaving too large a gap at the top of the boxes. So we had to use sheet rock mud to fill the gap, and every time I have to go back and rework the LV connections, I run the risk of breaking that filler out.

It's too bad. The ALC control is fast, and I've never seen a switch "miss" a command from the controller.

Back