Amazon Echo to HA Controllers

wuench said:
Yeah got my email today too.  Looks pretty simple, at least for the Echo/Voice side.  Not a fan of them trying to force the use of a cloud service connector, but I understand the resource utilization and business reasons for them going that route.  I am wondering does the "use your own server" option have to be a single centralized endpoint or could it be a individual users web service endpoint.  I guess it depends on if that configuration is static or can be made configurable by the end user....

It's not about forcing the cloud, per se.  It's more about there's really no significant amount of computation going on within the Echo itself.  Thus the price point.  That and while most folks think of Amazon for the shopping, they've also got QUITE a large presence in the web services realm.  They "are the cloud" for a considerable number of services people are already using.  So I'd venture it'd be a "no" to using your own server for the forseeable future. 

IVB said:
did you ever buy a kinect? If not, are you going to get an echo given that its now publicly available?

Just wondering if i should unbox mine that'll be here on July 8th, if you'll get yours on July 16th i'll just wait for you to set it up and skool me ;-)

I've got a Kinect hooked up to Windows 10 and their Cortana voice recog feature and it's miles behind the Echo in terms of "just works".  That said, I'm sure there's a lot of "potential" for the Windows stuff (Caste being one) but as it stands today the Echo is just a whole lot smoother to use.  

There's nothing to 'school' anyone about with it.  Put an app on your phone or tablet, plug in the Echo and use the app to configure the WiFi connection for the Echo.  There have been random reports of people having some issues with getting the initial WiFi connection configured, but it typically solves itself after 5-10 minutes (if it had any trouble in the first place).  Otherwise, you need an Amazon Prime account, of course, but then you wouldn't have been able to order an Echo without it.   All in all, it has to be one of the simplest gizmos I've ever had to configure.  A Chromecast is similar, but a bit more complicated in that it requires both HDMI and DC power, the Echo needs only power (and there is no battery option available, nor planned). 

wkearney99 said:
I've got a Kinect hooked up to Windows 10 and their Cortana voice recog feature and it's miles behind the Echo in terms of "just works".  That said, I'm sure there's a lot of "potential" for the Windows stuff (Caste being one) but as it stands today the Echo is just a whole lot smoother to use.  

There's nothing to 'school' anyone about with it.  Put an app on your phone or tablet, plug in the Echo and use the app to configure the WiFi connection for the Echo.  There have been random reports of people having some issues with getting the initial WiFi connection configured, but it typically solves itself after 5-10 minutes (if it had any trouble in the first place).  Otherwise, you need an Amazon Prime account, of course, but then you wouldn't have been able to order an Echo without it.   All in all, it has to be one of the simplest gizmos I've ever had to configure.  A Chromecast is similar, but a bit more complicated in that it requires both HDMI and DC power, the Echo needs only power (and there is no battery option available, nor planned). 

Sorry, what I meant was "JKMonroe, how exactly do I connect the echo to CQC? how do I run a custom command? Walk me through the steps like i'm a 6 year old".

hahah.  i have a kinect, i just haven't hooked things together.  big list, big ideas, so little time.

but yeah, im going to get the Echo.  i think it will work well in my home considering how open the floor plan is.

Yup; here had no issues hooking up my Amazon Echo. 

That said I did not utilize my cell phone to configure it and it does have its own autonomous AP and exit point to the internet here.

I currently installed the Amazon Echo in the middle of the second floor.  The floorplan is pretty open here and I have had no issues with it to date.

Goofing with it mostly ....

Relating to the Kinect stuff I am using it with a new multitouch wide screen touchscreen and PipoX7 (Intel Atom Baytrail).  I am mostly playing with a collection of MS SAPI voices and not venturing in to the Cortana world (well have it in use though).   Working on the multitouch features though at this time.  I am impressed with what the mini W81 Intel Baytrail can do so far relating to SAPI (installed a few english and foreign language voice fonts and it does well).

@Bill curious about your Cortana interest?

IVB said:
Sorry, what I meant was "JKMonroe, how exactly do I connect the echo to CQC? how do I run a custom command? Walk me through the steps like i'm a 6 year old".

You get your Echo July 8th?  Let me know when you get it and we can go through and try to get it working with CQC.  Seems like a nice idea for a hangout.  :)

wkearney99 said:
It's not about forcing the cloud, per se.  It's more about there's really no significant amount of computation going on within the Echo itself.  Thus the price point.  That and while most folks think of Amazon for the shopping, they've also got QUITE a large presence in the web services realm.  They "are the cloud" for a considerable number of services people are already using.  So I'd venture it'd be a "no" to using your own server for the forseeable future. 

I understand AWS and I get why they are doing it.  My point is that you have to deploy a singe endpoint cloud presence.  All their examples are made simple because they are talking to websites, etc.   But when you start talking HA that web service has to reach back into peoples homes.   As far as I can tell the only identifying info it passes to a skill is a userID.  So that won't tell the webservice how to get back to an individual home, the web service needs to know that mapping.  Meaning people will need to register with that somehow.   Also any webservice that does that is going to have to deal with security and that's a big deal.  I wouldn't trust any random webservice to have control of my home.  There is no inherent protection in being "in the cloud", Amazon doesn't enforce any security, anybody can build anything they want.   I would have to know a whole lot more about how that code is being protected.  I mean if I was going to deploy a webservice I would want web firewalls, DoS protection, monitoring, etc.   And that's all going to drive up the cost...   I think at this point the best bet for security is to just push the text through to the end user and have the HA app deal with what can and can't be done, that way the user has control on what they allow.    

I will admit, this is all still speculation on my part as I have only been reading the developer docs, my echo isn't here yet, but it would've been nice if there was some sort of client configuration capability so when you add a skill to your echo you can put in your home's URL, separate credentials, etc.  If there is such a capability I haven't seen a reference to it yet.

Oh and you can use your own server, it talks about how to use your own webservice.  It needs to be a single URL, it needs to be SSL with a public cert given out by a cert authority on their list, etc.  

I didn't see anything in the development docs that would preclude you from using your home server.  It simply has to support SSL.

There are a lot more requirements which might not be as easy to handle, but it could be done.  The stickler, though, is that it seems the 'Skills' would be public once published, and there is a review before publication.  So custom stuff like this might have to wait until a third part comes along and provides the means -

If there is a dev that wants to partner up on something like this, let me know.  I already have a plan in my head.   :)

It says it must be a single URL, using a public cert that matches the DNS name.   That's for your webservice/skill.   Once you are there, sure you can send it anywhere you want, but all requests for your skill are coming in from one source, Amazon's cloud, and the only identifier I see is the userid.   But as with everything, I won't know for sure until I get my hands on it.

I guess a clue may be in the hacked Echo/Hue stuff.  Does that require you to register your dummy Hue controller on a Hue website?  If not then I may be way off....

jkmonroe said:
You get your Echo July 8th?  Let me know when you get it and we can go through and try to get it working with CQC.  Seems like a nice idea for a hangout.   :)

we could do a whole unboxing thing. Not sure how interesting that would be, but it would be a real-time "how quickly can I get it out of the box and part of the system".

Just got my Echo working with my ISY using the Hue emulator - works great!  Amazon definitely sold at least 1 more Echo for my master bedroom because of this integration.

After meeting with Amazon I wouldn't expect any home automation controllers to natively integrate for the time being. The ASK is not capable of providing what's needed, so first party integration is the only option at the moment. Thus far they aren't giving that out, but we're working on it... 

If you'd like more details PM me or come over to the CastleOS forums :)

Amazon is going to need to expand the capability of Echo if they want it to remain a major hit.  Right now, it's a great gee-whiz and is creating a lot of excitement, but people are going to get tired of asking it what the weather is or what time it is.  And, there are plenty of places to get music already.

The Echo has the potential to become a major communication interface in the home, but if Amazon sits back and rests on his current stage of development, it's become another footnote of devices that died for lack of capability expansion.

I bought an Apple TV a year or so ago and within 5 minutes put it back in the box and on the shelf to gather dust.  While Echo is an outstanding performer, it won't remain mainstream without more interface capability.

Think about it's capability if it would interface with the home automation software already on the market.  The results of what could be done with it would be overwhelming.

Deane Johnson said:
Amazon is going to need to expand the capability of Echo if they want it to remain a major hit.  Right now, it's a great gee-whiz and is creating a lot of excitement, but people are going to get tired of asking it what the weather is or what time it is.  And, there are plenty of places to get music already.

The Echo has the potential to become a major communication interface in the home, but if Amazon sits back and rests on his current stage of development, it's become another footnote of devices that died for lack of capability expansion.

I bought an Apple TV a year or so ago and within 5 minutes put it back in the box and on the shelf to gather dust.  While Echo is an outstanding performer, it won't remain mainstream without more interface capability.

Think about it's capability if it would interface with the home automation software already on the market.  The results of what could be done with it would be overwhelming.

I'd argue that checking the time and the weather are something they'll keep doing.  We do and it's been very handy.  

Given the magnitude of Amazon's web services development, and the use of Lambda functions with the Echo it's very likely they'll keep development momentum going for quite a while.  Especially since, unlike Apple, they've embraced 3rd party development from the start AND have the robust, managed and maintained infrastructure behind it to make it happen.  

I've likewise shelved my Apple TV.  It just never had enough support from 3rd parties, nor from Apple.  Quite the opposite, Apple went out of their way to destroy any chances of 3rd party development on it that didn't fit into their plans (and then never really clarified what those plans might ever be).  

Personally here optimistic about the Amazon Echo and Alexa's relations with automation.

Off of the OP I am also optimistic about the Microsoft Kinect and what lies ahead relating to its multifaceted means of console automation....

I did ask Alexa (da Amazon Echo machine) to define "morality" (wikiwise); 2 (two) beeps (twice) then an answer.

Well too was at a funeral last Friday and spoke to one cousin whom purchased the Amazon Echo. 

She brought up Alexa first (as the initial conversation was about the dead relative)....personally I didn't initially know which relative was named Alexa in the begining of said conversation.

Back