Analog camera

nov0798

I would like to view an analog camera from several computers in my home. Currently I have the camera set up using an old VCR using RCA in, and then am using that to convert the signal to coax out so I can view iton my TV. I would like to be able to view it on my computer when Im working, as I dont have a TV in the room Im working in. Can I use a spare PC to act like a video "web page" if you will that I can then go to on any other computer in my home to view the signal?

What would I need to do this? I assume I will need some sort of video capture card or something installed in the PC?

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and Im trying to do this as cheaply as possible!

I utilize an automotive video distribution box which works off of 12VDC. One in and 4 out analogue. You can adjust the video level on each of the RCA jacks out. From this box you can capture the video with a PC. Then put a video server on your network and plug the video into it and distribute the video via a web page that you could see on any of the PC's as you stated. You could buy an old NTSC tuner card (obsolete) with a capture port for very little these days. I think there's a bunch of freeware software out there for you serving the video to the local network.

Any way to do this with PCs I already have lying around? I thinkI understand what your saying, but not sure.

You will need a pc with a video capture card acting as a web server, geovision cards are nice or a camera server that is less maitinance and no moving parts. Based on your specs above the easyest way depending on how many cameras you have is to use something like the HAI camera server HAI Part Number: 87A00-1, this will do 4 cameras.
http://www.homeauto.com/Products/Surveilla...nceOverview.asp
From here it changes your analog cameras to IP cameras and any pc cna get to them and you can also view your cameras away from home through the web. The pc will do the same thing but consumes more power is more prone to breakdown but also can record.

Back