Anemometer not showing all directions

sgtbean

The problem is the anemometer gives me only 8 directions instead of 16. The major points (N,E,S,W,NE,SE,SW,NW) are all being reported, but the intermediate points aren't. The voltage reported is either 10.23v or 0.0v.

Any tips on getting the other 8 directions too?

Sorry, it's the ADS. Did a bit of tinkering and removed the board from the housing. Using a small magnet I can get the readings to manually show up for the intermediate points, but not with the vane. It's as if the magnet is not close enough to activate both reed switches when at these points...

I have seen a couple of these units that are hard to get the intermediate points and there is only a few degrees or rotation that will trigger both reed switches.

I have seen a couple of these units that are hard to get the intermediate points and there is only a few degrees or rotation that will trigger both reed switches.
Eric,
for the major directions I can see the voltage fine within an 11 degree "pie piece" on both sides of a major direction. Outside of these, I can see a 22.5 degree "pie piece" of 10.23v area, then the next major direction shows up. So the boundaries are correct and the size of the "dead zone" is correct too, but the magnet doesn't switch both reeds (or apparently any reed switch) while in this "dead zone". I tested it by carefully stepping the vane a little further and watch the voltage reported. I couldn't find a single spot where the two switches are activated and report the correct voltage, so the area you are talking about - I couldn't find it...

Any thought on how to remedy this? I looked at getting the vane dismantled but I can't find a way to do it without fear of damaging it. Looking along side the housing, I can see the magnet on the vane. I thought maybe the magnet can be re-positioned closer to the center to lessen the gap between two reed switches?

Since there's a good spell of dry and warmer weather this weekend where I am, and since the vane should be mounted on my roof; if I can't get it fixed to show the intermediate directions by Monday I'll just put it up on the roof and accept the 8 directions instead of 16. I mean, it's not THAT big of a deal but it would be nice to get it fixed all the same :)

Back