Announce caller id w/ Elk M1

BradScott

I'd like to use my Elk M1 to announce the caller id whenever there is an incoming call. Is there an easy way to do this?

I don't know from Elk standalone, but if you integrate the Elk & (HA software package of choice), you can do really cool stuff like record a different .wav file for each friend or family member, and announce that over the Elk speakers when the phone rings.

In my house, I recorded my M.I.L. saying "Hi, it's me, where are you guys" in that sarcastic tone she has, and that's what gets played. My wife's actor friend who's funny as hell but just a little different from everyone else just re-recorded his to be "Farty farty fart. The farty flintstone is calling you. Pick up the phone.".

Not only is it much faster than a generic TTS or speaking the #s, it's the type of thing that the kids (& me) crack up at literally every single time he calls, and doesn't get old :lol

I don't know from Elk standalone, but if you integrate the Elk & (HA software package of choice), you can do really cool stuff like record a different .wav file for each friend or family member, and announce that over the Elk speakers when the phone rings.

I went with the M1 because I wanted to have a standalone system, so that issue is more important than announcing caller id. I was just hoping for a nice add-on.

thanks,

Brad Scott

Ok, fair enough.

FWIW, and not to splice hairs, but the elk would still be a standalone system, it's just that the add-on would be via a PC.

How do you get CQC to trigger the recording over the M1 speaker - is it the M1 that is actually playing the file, or is it CQC and you have somehow switched to the M1 speaker?

Mick

CQC is playing the file. The HAPC out goes to a mixer that blends the outputs from the HAPC and the Elk, which goes to an Elk-800 amp, which goes via relays to several 32Ohm Elk single-gang speakers.

CQC is playing the file. The HAPC out goes to a mixer that blends the outputs from the HAPC and the Elk, which goes to an Elk-800 amp, which goes via relays to several 32Ohm Elk single-gang speakers.

What sort of mixer are you using?

I sure would like to tie all my audio (Elk, and 2 PC's) together (and be able to level them) for a common amp input.

What sort of mixer are you using?

I sure would like to tie all my audio (Elk, and 2 PC's) together (and be able to level them) for a common amp input.
I recently bought the American Recorder Technologies PMIX-100 from Amazon to mix my home announcements from HomeSeer into my whole house audio which is always on. It works great. And, it's cheap (about $35 plus shipping).

I got some huge overkill one from eBay. Cost me $50 shipped, but the damn thing is huge!

I'd like to use my Elk M1 to announce the caller id whenever there is an incoming call. Is there an easy way to do this?
I actually played around with this, using the serial NetCallerID device, but had no luck because of the data format. I was thinking about building my own CID device which just dumps the # as an ASCII string, but got so much to do already :blink:

Back