inexpensive alarm panel

Edge540

We are building a new house and id like to take our current M1 along to new house. I then would like to replace it with something inexpensive at the house we would be selling. Any suggestions as to what to look into?
Everything is wired with no wireless sensors. four keypads. Biggest problem might be the smokes were tied to Elk also.
Thanks
eric

I would look at Honeywell Vista panels, or DSC.

Do your current door and window sensors have EOL resistors? That's one place where panels require different values, and if EOL resistors are installed, it can be a pain to remove or replace them.

What type of smokes do you have? What brand and are they 2-wire or 4-wire? 4-wire smokes can work with any panel.

I would look at Honeywell Vista panels, or DSC.

Do your current door and window sensors have EOL resistors? That's one place where panels require different values, and if EOL resistors are installed, it can be a pain to remove or replace them.

What type of smokes do you have? What brand and are they 2-wire or 4-wire? 4-wire smokes can work with any panel.
Thanks for reply. No, no resisters used. I'm pretty sure the System Sensor smokes are 2 wire but honestly need to check. It's been a while.
I'll look into the Vista panel.

I haven't kept up with pricing, but you may want to consider purchasing another Elk M1 and leave the current system at your old house in place. I don't know the cost of buying a Vista panel or something equivalent to it; but, the hassle of uninstalling the old system, learning a new one, installing it, purchasing additional keypads and programming/installing them might not be worth the savings.

I haven't kept up with pricing, but you may want to consider purchasing another Elk M1 and leave the current system at your old house in place. I don't know the cost of buying a Vista panel or something equivalent to it; but, the hassle of uninstalling the old system, learning a new one, installing it, purchasing additional keypads and programming/installing them might not be worth the savings.
I'd also second that suggestion.

I would take your M1 and just leave the wiring and maybe even some of the sensors in place.
Say the house is "pre-wired for alarm".

Unless the person buying your house is tech savvy, they won't know what to do with an M1.

And most alarm companies won't deal with an M1.
They will gladly rip out the M1 and sell the new owners a new fancy flavor of the week fully wireless fully internet connected voice operated AI based alarm with a hefty monthly fee.

IOW, your M1 is going to end up in the trash or on ebay.

This is what I was thinking would happen with the M1 after the sale as no one I've talked with has heared of it, and I certainly do not want to teach someone or leave instructions on its use.
I've waffled on purchasing something new but having to learn it is a time suck I don't need; I forgot about keypad replacement also.
I think the "wired for alarm" is the way to go. All sensors will stay.
Thank you for all advice.

Back