Another newbie here, need a how to please

jameswld

Hello all,
Thanks for all the knowledge I have been reading about. I am hoping someone can assist me in enrolling my ELK wireless reciever(m1xrf). It is enrolled on the rs485 bus as the second device, but I can't get the elk rp software to talk to the controller for flash upgrades. when attempting to connect the message is "unable to determine baud rate from controller". I am using I/O brand serial to USB adapter and it seems to talk to the controller OK. Right now, the controller only allows 16 or 48 zone wireless receivers, so I am dead without the firmware upgrades. Any assistance here is greatly appreciated!

Meaning you don't have a serial port on that PC, so ElkRP works fine over the USB interface for normal operations but not firmware upgrades?

Hello all,
Thanks for all the knowledge I have been reading about. I am hoping someone can assist me in enrolling my ELK wireless reciever(m1xrf). It is enrolled on the rs485 bus as the second device, but I can't get the elk rp software to talk to the controller for flash upgrades. when attempting to connect the message is "unable to determine baud rate from controller". I am using I/O brand serial to USB adapter and it seems to talk to the controller OK. Right now, the controller only allows 16 or 48 zone wireless receivers, so I am dead without the firmware upgrades. Any assistance here is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your quick response. The software says "cannot get baud rate from controller". and with a differenet usb/serial interface it says the com port is in use try another, but only 4 or 7 can be chosen. Since the software won't talk to the controller, I am dead in the water right now with the wireless receiver.

Hello all,

Uncle, are you using the right version of the Elk M1 firmware for the Elk receiver? There are two, one for the GE receivers and one for the Elk. You have to flash the M1 with the right version before you try to setup the Elk XRF.

Hello all,

Uncle, are you using the right version of the Elk M1 firmware for the Elk receiver? There are two, one for the GE receivers and one for the Elk. You have to flash the M1 with the right version before you try to setup the Elk XRF.

As far as I know, all of the issues are connecting the computer to the controller with the ELK software successfully. The controller came with firmware for the GE receiver, and while the ELK receiver is connected to the data bus, and is enrolled, there is no selection for a 144 zone wireless expander until I can update the firmware to version 5.0.12. Since I can't get the software to connect to the controller (through usb/serial connection), I can't update the firmware.

From ELKRP, when you click the Connect ICON at the top of the page, does the error message show up then? If so, you are not connected to the M1. Make sure you have SETUP the correct serial port for the USB device that is talking to the M1.

Some USB to Serial devices do not work right with ELKRP.

Try removing the USB to Serial driver and reinstalling it by getting a new copy from the Internet.

Once you are connected to the M1, which is noted at the bottom right of the screen, you should be able to update to 5.0.12 and soon 5.1.2.

Keep us informed of your progress.

You are not alone!!!!

From ELKRP, when you click the Connect ICON at the top of the page, does the error message show up then? If so, you are not connected to the M1. Make sure you have SETUP the correct serial port for the USB device that is talking to the M1.

Some USB to Serial devices do not work right with ELKRP.

Try removing the USB to Serial driver and reinstalling it by getting a new copy from the Internet.

Once you are connected to the M1, which is noted at the bottom right of the screen, you should be able to update to 5.0.12 and soon 5.1.2.

Keep us informed of your progress.

You are not alone!!!!

Yes, I get an immediate message that the com port is in use by other software so choose another...and the other brand of usb/serial adapter would not allow me to connect either. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back to this issue until after next week, but I will follow up here when I get a chance. This is my first ELK product, and I must say the quality is top notch! I am impressed.

Yes, you are having a comport issue and not yet connected to the M1.

Spanky- just got back to this M1 now, and with a laptop. It looks like the comport issue is handled, but it refuses the default access code in the installation manual. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

Sounds like you are past this now but just for anyone else reading this thread... I had the same problem. Could not connect with my USB to serial adapter (BTW the USB to Serial adapter that I tried to use to connect with the M1 is the only one out of the three that I tried that would connect with my Centralite Litejet). I had to purchase the the USB to serial adapter that is recommended by ELK to get it to connect. Apparently there is great variation between USB to serial adapters.

I have been able to get connected with a HP Pavilion laptop and the keyspan serial-usb adapter (vista home prem). I have even flashed the firmware and the ELK wireless expander is enrolled. My GE crystal transmitters are enrolled- but for some reason, all zones except the front door are bypassed. None are programmed as bypassable.

Back