Another Radio Shack Z-Wave sale!

I went and looked at the switches; they are definitely worth the price RS is asking, and I wish I would have not already bought my Vizia RF+ stuff. Not deal killers but: the switches look bulkier than the Vizia line (although I didn't measure) and the switches have pig-tails instead of screws (this is in contrast to the Vizia line).

My RS still has the zwave stuff, but they are marked full price?!? Is this a regional deal or something? Should I have them scan the items for me?

UPDATE ON THE THERMOSTAT: I just revisited the Trane thermostat, a VRC0P (rs232 zwave controller), a USB dongle with most recent ControlThink firmware. Previously, ControlThink wouldn't let you "set route" a device that wasn't vizia rf or rf+ so two way feedback worked for things like thermostats (since Leviton doesn't make these). However, the newest ControlThink firmware and software let you set a route (i.e. associate) the thermostat with the VRC0P! I now have discovered that the thermostat will send two way feedback to the VRC0P if a you user changes thermostat settings at the thermostat. You still need one poll when you bind the thermostat to the VRC0P (to get the initial parameters for the thermostat), but after that fan status, temp set point, temp etc... are all reported in asynchronous manner! Pretty neat; I'm not aware of any other thermostat that doesn't require polling to update!

People on deal sites are reporting it's working fine, but I think most of them are using them in store.

Just bought the last thermostat, and successfully used the $10 coupon, so total for the thermostat (without tax) was $49.97. What's the cheapest (but still reliable) interface to use with this thermostat (using Homeseer or ELK)?

Homeseer has a generic Z-Wave plugin that works OK for me - It doesn't give instant status but poll it & is OK. You can change setpoits via events easily. Blade is working on a plugin - I have read it gives instant status.

Even without Z-Wave ability, it is a very nice thermostat.

I went and looked at the switches; they are definitely worth the price RS is asking,

I disagree to a certain extent on this based upon your application of the switches.

1)The 3-ways will not work in the majority of 3-way wiring scenarios.
2)Both the 3-ways and 2-wire switches are susceptible to malfunction when on the same electrical circuit as a motor such as celing fan or bathroom fan.

I doubt there's a 4-way option like the Vizia RF+ line offers, but you get what you pay for. I also wonder if the GE switches offer two way feedback like the Leviton Vizia RF+ line, support scenes and groups etc...?

I disagree to a certain extent on this based upon your application of the switches.

1)The 3-ways will not work in the majority of 3-way wiring scenarios.
2)Both the 3-ways and 2-wire switches are susceptible to malfunction when on the same electrical circuit as a motor such as celing fan or bathroom fan.

I doubt there's a 4-way option like the Vizia RF+ line offers, but you get what you pay for. I also wonder if the GE switches offer two way feedback like the Leviton Vizia RF+ line, support scenes and groups etc...?
You do get what you pay for, fortunately RS is selling these cheap. I can't imagine that all the vendors that have these on theirs shelves are happy to have them.

Also good point, the GE's do not have two way feedback or associations. I think they do support scenes and groups.

The 2gig uses beaming, so it may not work with your controller (unit requires the Z-Wave controller to have Zensys firmware 5.02 or later or 4.51 or later). The Trane thermostat will work with just about any zwave controller as far as I know. I wonder what extra feature beaming gives the 2gig?

The 2gig also has a touchscreen with can be good or bad. I prefer the hard buttons of the Trane thermostat (that's also made in the USA).

Anyone have any thoughts on how this thermostat compares to the 2-gig Z-Stat?

No two way feedback/associations is almost a deal killer; however, for the savings, I might have settled on the GE stuff if I hadn't already bought Vizia RF+ dimmers/switches.

Two way feedback is nice because... If a user turns a light on locally, that room's occupancy timeout is reset. Also, if a user manually turns a light off in most rooms, Premise (my HA software) automatically sets occupancy to false for that room. I also use door sensors, motion sensors and A/V receiver state for the same occupancy timers so I know if a room is occupied or not. Works pretty well so far.

You do get what you pay for, fortunately RS is selling these cheap. I can't imagine that all the vendors that have these on theirs shelves are happy to have them.

Also good point, the GE's do not have two way feedback or associations. I think they do support scenes and groups.

Info - (on the lamp and appliance modules anyway)
Scenes are not supported - Instant status with Homeseer is not supported.

The 2gig uses beaming, so it may not work with your controller (unit requires the Z-Wave controller to have Zensys firmware 5.02 or later or 4.51 or later). The Trane thermostat will work with just about any zwave controller as far as I know. I wonder what extra feature beaming gives the 2gig?

The 2gig also has a touchscreen with can be good or bad. I prefer the hard buttons of the Trane thermostat (that's also made in the USA).

All of the GE Z-Wave modules that have been discussed in this thread support beaming, and for anyone using either the Z-Troller or the Aeon Labs Z-Stick the proper Zensys libraries are supported on those. I actually have an AC guy out here cleaning my AC's this week and was going to ask him about getting C-wire's run so I have power for mine, but I was looking for anyone that has them in place and has had them for any length of time to comment on the quality?

The Trane is just a rebranded RCS thermostat (I actually have 2 ZigBee versions of the same unit), so quality wise you don't have much to worry about. So what Z-Wave dongle should I go with? The new Leviton? Aeon Labs?

Back