Haiku Another Update Bug

I can import a solid black background into Space and get a white on black interface.
Can you do the same with Haiku?

Seriouly, the white interface is unusable.
It's garish and in a darkened environment it hurts to use.
Too much eye strain.

When apple went to their new style I wasn't happy about that either.
I would expect an app like Haiku to have some kind of customizeable interface options.

How do you find the version installed?  I went to app store and it doesn't show any available updates but I still had the 1/6th portion of the screen not dimmed.  Also as I look at it the scrolling messages at the top which has the Temp and Humidity isn't centered?  I don't know if anyone else noticed this to report the bug?

Neil

Haiku doesn't seem to remember the screen it was last on anymore.

I have the status icon as the fourth from the left, to the center of the screen.
I use the items from the center out for common used screens and the edges for less often used.
Haiku used to remember the last screen it was on and open up on that screen.
So when I left it on status it would return to status when opening it back up.

I have the rooms icon as the far left item.
Now every time I return to Haiku it goes to that icon,regardless of where I left off.

Also I noticed I had to reorganize the icons on the bottom row after this update. They didn't import correctly from my previous install.

heffneil said:
How do you find the version installed?  I went to app store and it doesn't show any available updates but I still had the 1/6th portion of the screen not dimmed.  Also as I look at it the scrolling messages at the top which has the Temp and Humidity isn't centered?  I don't know if anyone else noticed this to report the bug?

Neil
It looks like you're running an old version. You can check the version in the About tab.

Desert_AIP said:
Haiku doesn't seem to remember the screen it was last on anymore.

I have the status icon as the fourth from the left, to the center of the screen.
I use the items from the Denver out for common used screens and the edges for less often used.
Haiku used to remember the last screen it was on and open up on that screen.
So when I left it on status it would return to status when opening it back up.

I have the rooms icon as the far left item.
Now every time I return to Haiku it goes to that icon,regardless of where I left off.

Also I noticed I had to reorganize the icons on the bottom row after this update. They didn't import correctly from my previous install.
Haiku never remembered the last selected tab. Only if it remained open.

The failure to import the tab configuration is known, it is due to some changes that needed to be made to make Haiku run on the new SDK.

Well, it seemed to always start up in the status screen each time before.
That was useful, it has security, weather, HVAC info as well as faults.
And now it starts in the rooms screen.

Center, not Denver - damn autocorrect

lupinglade said:
It looks like you're running an old version. You can check the version in the About tab.

I am running 3.97 and still getting the 1/6 screen not going to sleep?

EDIT: This is an ipad 2 running the latest ios 8.4 FYI. Confirmed it is still not sleeping properly with 3.97 HAIKU running. Killed App, same problem, Rebooted iPad, same problem.

Neil

Desert_AIP said:
Well, it seemed to always start up in the status screen each time before.
That was useful, it has security, weather, HVAC info as well as faults.
And now it starts in the rooms screen.

Center, not Denver - damn autocorrect
It starts on the first tab. If you set Status as the first tab it will work.

Exactly, I don't want that.
I want the status tab in the center - like I have always had it for the past ~5 years.
It is more efficient (to me) to have the most often used functions in the middle not on the periphery - especially the far left which is the furthest from the button when in landscape.

Basically, it is the 21st Century and every user has their own idiosyncratic preferences in operating a piece of software, so the software should be customizeable to the individual's taste rather than some 1970s lock box iron-clad interface configuration.

Changing the basic colors of an app or specifying location order of tabs is not an unreasonable request.

@Desert_AIP: There was no provision for saving the tab position in Haiku before either. I believe it was actually a bug that it always started on the Status screen and not on the first tab previously. It seems to me it is more useful to start on the first tab, that way the user can pick what tab to start on rather than it always being the Status tab.

We could add code to save the last tab, but that's not the same thing because then it will always be the last tab you were on, which might not be the Status tab or whatever tab you prefer. At this point I think the current arrangement is going to be the most flexible for most people.

I think setting the last tab could be very dangerous. Could it be possible an ipad is locked when viewing a camera pop up thus changing your last viewed?

lupinglade said:
@Desert_AIP: There was no provision for saving the tab position in Haiku before either. I believe it was actually a bug that it always started on the Status screen and not on the first tab previously. It seems to me it is more useful to start on the first tab, that way the user can pick what tab to start on rather than it always being the Status tab.We could add code to save the last tab, but that's not the same thing because then it will always be the last tab you were on, which might not be the Status tab or whatever tab you prefer. At this point I think the current arrangement is going to be the most flexible for most people.
I understand not everyone wants the same interface and there are a billion different opinions on what is "most efficient" etc.
That's why customizability in software, skinning, saving configurations, renaming items, etc is crucial to increase the satisfaction rate across such a broad user base.

I hated iTunes for years because I couldn't organize my music in the way I had grown accustomed to using MusicMatch for nearly 8 years. They finally enabled the option I was looking for, and now I use it.

I love Haiku and have used it for 5 years now. I have Space as well, but I prefer Haiku for now.

I can live with the tab order thing, that is a minor annoyance. It's a change from the way it behaved before which why I noticed it.
But the light interface is truly a detriment to the user experience.
Again, some options for the end user to make his own decisions on what look and color scheme work best for him, individually, would probably be the best solution.

As an end user I do not see removing features as an "upgrade".
Just like Apple removing the album sorter from iTunes.
I'm sure there were some people that used it.
I used it as a ready way to ensure I had album art for all my music.
Yes it may have taken up space and was underutilized and was removed for additional new whizz bang features.

So that is my only current frustration, that I can't get the thing to look like I want it to look.
For instance, if I'm running wall mounted iPads and Haiku, maybe I want to match the screen to the wall color it is hanging on.

The color customization is something we did with Space. However it may be going away with the UI overhaul.

I just updated to Haiku 3.98, and it seems to work on my iPad 4 and iPad Air 2, but my older iPad 2 is a different story. All iPads have current iOS. Running Haiku results in a mostly blank screen (the battery level icon in green displays, and a bar along the bottom displays, but nothing else). Tried rebooting / resetting iPad and still no luck.

Also, while I really do appreciate you updating Haiku to resolve the missing slider problem, the new UI colors don't work well for wall mounted displays. The all-white background lights up the entire room at night. The older Haiku version with darker background colors was much easier on the eyes too. If there's an easy way to go back to a color scheme closer to what it used to be, I would appreciate it. Thx.

Back