Another: What do I do next?

JamesMM

Hello everyone,

I am a longtime reader who has used the wisdom of this forum to learn the basics of home automation but feel completely stumped on what to do next in the never ended saga of DIY home automation.

I feel like I have a great base (see below), but could really use help with putting all those pieces together. My main frustration is figuring out how to unify the system when it comes to an onscreen UI and centralized control (ie Savant, Control4, etc) of A/V, Lighting, HVAC, and security.

Please help cocooner's?! :nutz:

__

Background: I live in a 3 level 2 bed 2.5 bath townhome (approx. 2,500 sq ft) which was built in 2006.

The developers pre-wired the home for 7.1 surround in the living room and all other rooms including the kitchen, dining, bedrooms, bathrooms, and backyard with 2 speaker wires and a cat5e all going to a central location in the living room.

I currently have a few z-wave devices:

19 - 2 way GE/Jasco dimmers
10 - Wall outlets
2 - Schlage Link Deadbolts
2 - Schlage Link Trane Thermostats
1 - 890 Logitech remote

Security:

Honeywell security system (will find the model # tonight)
2 wired / 1 wireless generic IP cameras and 1 wireless. (originally Schlage Link as well re-flashed to factory settings)

Misc A/V:

7.1 Denon receiver (connected to Kitchen, Dining, and backyard)
2 - Apple Airport Express
2- Direct TV H.24
1 - UPnP enabled NAS

Devices:

1 - Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop
2 - Macbook Pro's
5 - iOS Devices

If you want to stick to that hardware your best bet is most likely to find a computer controlled home automation application that can interface to your system items.

You might want to look at HomeSeer as they have the UI in HSTouch and should have the interface capability to your hardware items (not sure about the Honeywell security item though...).

The dated UI isn't that bad, and irrelevant once you start designing your own touchscreen interface (HS's client supports iOS, Android, Windows, etc.). Check out the home automation software list to see what else is out there.

As for integrating it with the TV, things will get tricky there. mControl is probably the only application which is still actively being developed, while supporting the latest version of Windows Media Center. That said, the 10ft interface doesn't work well for home automation control, I would rely on an iPod running HSTouch instead, or just monitor the commands your remote is sending out.

Check out iRule there's a thread on AVS forum. I'm not sure how or if there's a way to integrate it with Z-wave, but it controls my Insteon lighting through a Universal Devices ISY controller just great, in addition to all my A/V, it is capable of many types of control, you just need the appropriate 'gateway' I use an iTach IP2IR for IR control, a port server for serial control, the ISY handles Insteon PLC, and network communication is direct through your network. 'Vera' might be able to work as your gateway to Z-wave. The DirecTV STB will work through your network.

The GUI is fully customizable and requires some work for initial setup, a pro for some users a con for others, but for $50 I think it's hard to beat.

Thank you everyone for the input.

After looking at HomeSeer further I would be willing to give it a shot. BraveSirRobbin do you know where to find skins for it?

Also, is there an option out there a little less expensive ($800 for the HomeSeer Pro, ouch!)? I still would like to purchase a few iPads and iPod Touches to wall mount in various rooms, which will really put a dent in my budget.

Unfortunately, mControl won't work for me since I have DirecTV.

P.s. Over the weekend I designed a flush wall mount for my iPad. Pictures to follow this weekend after my fit test :lol:

Did you ever get around to trying the HomeSeer Pro?

I use a Vera 2 and it should be able to control all of those as well. It is a bit cheaper ($239). It has a built in z-wave controller and you can control Denon receivers and Direct TV devices.

However, I would also get a SQ Blaster (http://www.squareconnect.com/) for $200.

Either way you can use SQ Remote HD on your iOS devices to control the Vera, but with a blaster you get really nice A/V control. I would check out the website and various user reviews on youtube.

I have android rather than iOS devices but SQ Remote and SQ Designer look like great ways to implement control panels on the iOS!

Back