any alternatives to the HAI C3?

opticalc

Looking for a solution that utilizes an actual POTS phone dialer; so no internet-based comms using GMRS or anything like that are needed.  My Elks ethernet/IP is primary CS method to alarm relay, and since my home internet (DSL)  and home POTS phone come in on the same line, the cellular dial backup makes the most sense.

Definitely prefer direct billing with the cellular carrier and to not go through some other company.

I could not find any, which is why I went with the C3.  I got a gophone SIM off amazon for like $2 and activated it.  So far, working fine.
Just dont tell alarm relay it is a "back up device" as they will try to charge you an install fee.  Argued this point and they reversed the charge.  C3 is calling them just like any POTS line would and requires no changes in the ELK to do so.

If you have a dealer that ports the Uplink data as a POTS retransmission instead of direct via TCP/IP (or depending on how your CS account is set up) the Uplink units are "invisible" to the CS.

I'm not aware of any alternatives except for the bluetooth gizmos that connect your free standing cell phone to your home pots lines.  I am doubting that this is reliable for alarm system, but have never tried one to know.  They do only cost $50 (plus you need an old cell phone  to actually connect to the carrier and do a bluetooth pass through to the pots device).

Why are you looking for an alternative?  What does the C3 not do that you are looking for?

DELInstallations said:
If you have a dealer that ports the Uplink data as a POTS retransmission instead of direct via TCP/IP (or depending on how your CS account is set up) the Uplink units are "invisible" to the CS.

Interesting stuff, I see more how things work with those types of units, you posted more info on this in the other thread I asked in.  Thanks.

Lou Apo said:
I'm not aware of any alternatives except for the bluetooth gizmos that connect your free standing cell phone to your home pots lines.  I am doubting that this is reliable for alarm system, but have never tried one to know.  They do only cost $50 (plus you need an old cell phone  to actually connect to the carrier and do a bluetooth pass through to the pots device).

Why are you looking for an alternative?  What does the C3 not do that you are looking for?

The manual Ive seen for the C3leads me to believe it doesnt provide for any SMS texting or remote management ability.  I did find another device called AGM by Risco/Rokonet that seems to do exactly what I want, though its more expensive than the C3.

I really like the way Alarm Relay has completely separate IP and PSTN systems, makes it possible for us DIYers to have truly redundant yet very inexpensive monitoring system costs.

I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Elk's POTS connection is not something you would manage.  I don't know what you would manage on the C3 itself.  It just gives a dial tone to any device plugged in the same as POTS.  What would be manageable on a cellular to POTS converter?

Elk can't send or receive SMS over a POTS connection.  As far as I know, nothing can. 

You can dial into your Elk and use the C3 to pass through your touch tone commands to remotely control the Elk just the same as with a regular POTS line.

There's all sorts of variation of the theme now with the Uplink units, as far as what is seen or not seen, data that is passed through or not and whether or not specific report codes go through, but generally speaking, a straight serial connnection is 100% passthru, and on the dealer side, part of the reason why they call Uplink "anynet" is you can port the data either via POTS retransmission from Uplink, a direct TCP/IP tunnel (per se) straight into what is typically a virtual receiver for the host CS or a variation of the theme of TCP/IP.

The Uplink itself isn't going to get you remote management or off the top of my head, any SMS, there's some generic items that it can do, but I doubt there's really a need on the M1.

Dialer capture units are the same, no matter who the provider is, but the variable is how the data is ported to the CS on the service side.

The C3, while transparent, is for all intents and purposes, a passthrough that provides the cellular to the M1, but any management is going to be limited to what can be accomplished via the 56K modem and how good your service quality is, assuming it's at least "3 bars" and steady at a minimum.

Theres a lot of variables, but in the case of the M1 and knowing the flip side of the industry and data, I couldn't recommend a C3 in good conscience. I put it as a get what you pay for item, however there are plenty of DIY out there that love it....

Telephone fault detect timer in globals, set time carefully because you don't want nuisance alarms from short outages.

Then you can apply whatever you really want via rules. The non-elegant way would be to drive an output to an input and set that as a 24hr point.

The M1 has phone line monitoring built in.  If the line is cut and there is no voltage on the line for some time (10 minutes, I think), a fault condition will be reported.  But if you have VoIP phone service, detecting a cut line becomes more problematic, since the M1 won't see that internet service is out.

Bingo....same goes if there is latency on the modem. The joys of "progress" that the ISP's fail to provide to the HO's.

Back