Any of you guys seen this one?

Rupp

I'm sure it's not legit but it nearly got me in an early morning stuper.
Dear eBay customer,
During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.
This might be due to either of the following reasons:
ilpmep cfxfjal jsuavox jaswl
A recent change in your personal information ( i.e.change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.
Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:
https://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PlaceCCInfo
cwpx myd euvb ope
If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.
Thank you
The eBay Billing Deptartment.

Rupp,

but it nearly got me in an early morning stuper.

You just confirmed your geek status. Email first thing?

Coffee BEFORE the email. Always coffee first. I don't even drink coffee, but I know the correct order of doing things in the morning.

Probably spam.... The spoof the addresses for the email and the web site to make it look like ebay, capture your information and then change your account for their use. I actually fell into it once a few years back.

Some of the worse ones say we need to get an updated credit card number too....

I got one for PayPal a couple of weeks ago after using PayPal to make a donation. I'm glad most people (I hope) know not to follow these things but I feel bad for the people that get suckered in.

Something that I've been getting a lot of recently are spam messages from people asking how much shipping is from one place to another then saying I need to add X.XX amount of dollars for shipping for my winning bid on a particular eBay auction and they include a link.

I've never followed the links but does anyone know if the messages are from eBay sellers trying to boost their bidder numbers or do the links go to somewhere nefarious?

I got two, a few days apart, about a week ago. Everything looked legit 'cept the URL in the address bar. (I knew it was a spoofer right away, and - confident in my AV and firewall [hopefully not overconfident] clicked the link for giggles). The one I got, though, said someone had made a fraudulent purchase on my account.

Anyway, I got to the fake login screen and used a couple of four leter words for my user name and a couple more for my password. It told me I logged in successfully. I then used some other choice words for my credit card info when it asked me for that. I wrote something like "You're going to jail" for my actual credit card number. I hit the OK button. It then thanked me for updating my info and, after about a 2 second pause, redirected me to the ACTUAL Ebay site. I think it's funny that their software didn't even notice that I didn't enter any numbers (just letters) into the credit card number slot.

I forwarded the messages to Ebay. I think there is an FCC email address you're supposed to forward that stuff to, but I forgot it at the time.

Rupp,

They are all spam. I get (no kidding here) about 10-15 of these a day (some of them saying paypal). If you want to confirm it (I've given up on it), send the email to [email protected] and they will send you an email letting you know whether or not they sent it to you. They are always spoofs by the way...

Don't ever respond to emails like that or click on any links in it!!!!!!!

Back